Mental Support Community

Site Upgrade

IrmaJean

As I'm sure members have noticed we have new software for our community. I wanted to start a thread so we can discuss how the new software functions and any issues members may be having.

One thing I wanted to bring to everyone's attention is the blog section. General blogs are now visible to non-members. I want members to be aware of this. I'm not certain yet how to manage the settings for blog privacy or if there even are any settings. It appears as though the blogs of members who had a 'friends only'  setting on the previous version are only visible to other members who also had a 'friends only' blog. I'm not sure yet if there is a way to alter this or not because we no longer have 'friends' but instead have 'followers.' If and when I find out more, I will let all of you know. 

If members have any new information about how to navigate the new software, feel free to share here. Hopefully we can learn together and the transition is not too difficult.

Fortunately, it's easy to make your blog private again!

When you're on your blog, you can see, above, a bit on the right side, "Manage blog" - you click and chose "Edit blog" and there you see "Privacy".

You can make it visible either to everyone, or to members you select.

(And another good news is: My selection of members has been kept unchanged, so I presume my blog isn't visible to the public after the up-date! The same should be true for others who used (on "the old" site) the "private club" option as me.)

I like the new design, BTW. :)

Has anyone figured out if there's the possibility to add a "signature" to one's profile? It seems there has to be a kind of signature, because when you go to "Ignored members", you can, among other options, chose to "ignore their signature" (which is weird, BTW :-D ).

This is horrible terrible.  I can't even find my blog. I just hate when things like this happen. I need my blog right now that's why I came here I am having really bad anxiety,  worse than usual,  I just wish this was the same.  I don't understand the point of changing the whole thing.  Maybe I'm just stupid bUT I don't understand this set up.  I'm not even sure where I'm typing this. 

3 hours ago, smallstar said:

Wait are you saying my blog is public?  I am really upset right now that's really not okay at all.  I don't even know where it is yet anyone in the world can read it I'm really upset

Your blog is not public, starry. It seems the general private setting transferred with the old software. You may need to make adjustments, though, to add or remove from the list of who is able to read it. If you go to your Smallstar blog, there is something that says 'manage blog.' Click on this and then 'edit' and you will see a list of who is able to read. You can remove and add members.

I'm sorry the changes are upsetting. :(Unfortunately, we really didn't have a choice but to upgrade the software. The old software was not functioning properly, making basic navigation of the website difficult. 

We are here to support you and one another through this transition. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I am still learning too. Hopefully in time we will all feel more comfortable with the changes.

Take care, Starry.

Lala, thank you so much for the information. 

Edited by IrmaJean
Wording

Thank you Irmajean and LaLa for your help and information as we go through this transition! I too couldn't find privacy settings until I read LaLa's description.

I really missed the new comments button from the old software. It turns out I can create another one if I choose to under the Activity tab, my activity streams, and create custom stream. I simply labeled mine "new comments" and selected since my last visit. We'll see if it works!

trying a picture just to try

1385082123122419.jpg

Unfortunately there is no friends' list any longer. :( I think that 'followers' only receive notification when there is new content posted. I think... I'm not certain...that this is separate from followed threads and blogs.

I will try to find out more about profile privacy options and if there are any.

Resolute, you and I have never invited one another to be friends (I have nothing against you, we just haven't). As an experiment, can you view my blog or my posts to other private blogs when you look at my profile? I can view your posts on your profile feed, though I do not know if any of those are supposed to be private (that would mean the privacy filters are not working) or I don't know if I am not seeing things that you have posted on that are private (meaning that the filters are working). Thanks in advance, btw :)

i checked your profile, and i couldn't see your blog or any posts on other blogs (for which i have no permission to view).

i don't have anything against you either. i just try to respect others' privacy and space (and i hate rejection), which is why i don't try to add people who might not be comfortable adding me. i also have no actual private blog (just a test "blog").

take care, finding.

4 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

Ditto. Thank you IrmaJean and Malign for all your hard work and expense in keeping this place up and running. I hate change but sometimes it's necessary, so I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. 

Second dittos. Thanks. Change for the better is always welcome. We'll get used to it soon enough.

5 minutes ago, LaLa said:

On the top, on the left side, under "Mental support community", you see "Browse" and under it, "Blogs" - click on it. You can't see your own among them?

No I don't see mine,  I click on something that says my blogs then I can go to mine. Does that mean it's not public?  If it was public it would be with all the other ones I see?  Thanks lala