Mental Support Community

The Man Cave

Resolute

1 hour ago, uptight outasight said:

Like attitude is just will power?

Exactly. EVEN IF you accept this argument...disregard every physical, biological attribute, positive or negative, as being equal in the eyes of attitude - in other words, everything is a choice - it STILL does not eliminate inequality! It already presupposes that there is an unequal distribution of will power...some will have more than others, otherwise the argument makes no sense. No matter how much reductionism you apply, there will always be someone with more or better than somebody else.

anyway sorry resolute...hopefully you would find the topic stimulating.

I’ll say one last thing about this. Through a relative of mine, I grew up in a position to know several men of the “greatest generation”. These were men who grew up during the Depression and saw service in WW2. Because I was very mature for my age they tolerated me being around them and I enjoyed sitting and listening to their stories. In general, they tended to act differently than men of subsequent generations. At least in public they weren’t as boorish and just had more class regardless of social status. They always tucked their shirts in, combed their hair and presented themselves well groomed. They weren’t as selfish and most of them had a very low tolerance for BS. They also knew the difference between camaraderie and “brruuuhh” “bro” “let’s run a train on that bitch Braaahh” . They enjoyed sharing coffee and visiting with each other and then when it was over going back home to their wives and family. I never felt threatened or vulnerable around them and really enjoyed talking with them as I got older. Everything didn’t revolve around organized sports fanaticism...athletics were games for developing children and young boys not grownups. They had a way of stating things as a matter of fact that wasn’t meant to be taken as an insult. That was the masculinity I always tried to emulate but it just made me look strange and anachronistic. Just something I remembered.

Certainly, I think there has been a loss of moral fiber. 

I'm old enough to remember when the generation you are referencing was stunned by the behavior of their kids starting in the 1960s.

Even the roughnecks of their time were more likely to be restrained my moral sentiments.

That was the last generation raised without TV.  They say constant mass media makes you think that other people are less moral than you are and thus you should loosen-up.  You'd be a fool not to.

Without constant TV you tend to imagine others are more moral that you are which is a force for you to be moral as well.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:33 AM, Victimorthecrime said:

The problem w any religion is that people just make it mean anything they want. What is religion apart from words and what are words apart from the meaning we assign?  

That is what drew me to Buddhism and New Age to some extent. They invite you to mediate and see for yourself.  After enough time I just felt like I got all I was gonna get from it and moved on.  

Back to your point about men, perhaps the reason Islam is thriving is it is much more suited to the nature of men than other faiths. 

That's why I would run fast away from Buddhism, New Age and Islam...👟  👟

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My piece of shit father was the exact opposite of this in every way:

10 hours ago, Klingsor said:

My piece of shit father was the exact opposite of this in every way:

Ya mean he patronized you?  Coddled you?  Or ignored you?

Always said how much he loved or liked you?  Today, I'm noticing parents seem to think they need to assure kids they love them all the time.