Mental Support Community

Keepin Silent.

Obsolete

I've been standing up for myself lately at work. I felt I was being taken advantage of for always being the guy willing to do anything. So I've been vocal about some of my displeasure concerning the manager and how she treats some of us vs her favourites. 

It's backfired and now it seems like I'm just a disrespectful little cunt who doesn't  appreciate the job he has. So I think shutting up is the best move, especially in my situation.  I'll just let things slide . I'm not much of a fighter anyway, never was. 

I went back to college for a few years several years ago and the experience was very different for me as a middle aged person than it was as a young adult. I enjoyed it more and I knew what to focus my studies on. My grades were much better too. If you do decide to go back to school, I wish you the best.

Does the company you work for have a chain of command, a check and balance system, a human resources department? I'm not certain what your manager is like, but I hope she is approachable to talk to. Our company also has anonymous surveys where we can openly share any problems we might be having. Is there a safe place to share and address your concerns? I hope so.

I hope your work situation improves and if it's time to pursue other options, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Take care, TBD.

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 8:16 PM, IrmaJean said:

I went back to college for a few years several years ago and the experience was very different for me as a middle aged person than it was as a young adult. I enjoyed it more and I knew what to focus my studies on. My grades were much better too. If you do decide to go back to school, I wish you the best.

Does the company you work for have a chain of command, a check and balance system, a human resources department? I'm not certain what your manager is like, but I hope she is approachable to talk to. Our company also has anonymous surveys where we can openly share any problems we might be having. Is there a safe place to share and address your concerns? I hope so.

I hope your work situation improves and if it's time to pursue other options, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Take care, TBD.

I apologise for replying so late. This week has been very busy.

Well yeah we do have a chain of command but I honestly don't want to report her. She has helped me a lot. The work I used to do before my current job was just awful. So I think if I did report her I would look unappreciative.

She (my manager) is pretty cool. I think the main issue with her is that she is friends with a very manipulative colleague and thus colleague takes full advantage of the situation. Anyway I don't think I'm going to report her. I 9 leave things as they are till I go back to school. I know what I want and I have already gotten started with my studies. I'm not a registered student yet but I have purchased some of the prescribed booked for sound engineering so I've gotten started already. I'm loving it.

Thanks for the well wishes IrmaJean. I appreciate it.

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 1:42 PM, sedsed said:

Do your coworkers feel the same about your manager? If they do, I don't think you should feel like "a disrespectful little cunt who doesn't appreciate the job he has" Get their perspective ask your coworkers if they think you are being too harsh or just defending yourself really. Some perspective from them might make you feel better.

The work force is pretty divided. It's whites with whites and blacks with blacks, there's further division among the black staff. So one section of the black group feel I'm doing the right thing by speaking out, the other group feels the same way about the manager but they feel because of  where I come from, I should just shut up and take it. 

I used to be down and out. The manager really did help me a lot and I have shown my appreciation for for her assistance many times.

My experience has always been that "you can't fight city hall" applies to the workplace.  I have always had to just put up w the abuse or move to another department or leave the company.  

Personally I believe the treatment of workers is one of the big unspoken problems in America.  Treatment. Not wages, not benefits, not leave, not dress code. Treatment.  

14 hours ago, sedsed said:

Because of where you come from? Just because you were "down and out" doesn't mean they should take advantage or use you. You don't owe them anything even if they were nice and did you a favor. Besides just because you have complaints doesn't meant you can't be respectful to your boss about it. Don't stop defending yourself just because of some imaginary obligation or debt you feel you owe... They hired you, you work for your pay like everyone else, you deserve respect as much as anyone else at that job! 

Thank you for this message. I was starting to believe that perhaps I realy was wrong to speak out and should just shut up.