Mental Support Community

Finding a Psychiatrist

So--

Things have been getting rough in my life lately. It's starting to become more than I can handle, and I want to find professional help. But, I have a lot of difficulty finding someone appropriate. The most successful therapist I've had was a very personable psychologist that helped me over two years, but I don't want to go back because of a snide comment he made to me.

I'm also considering that my brain might be chemically imbalanced. I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, and I've been depressed since middle school--and now I'm a university student. I have social anxiety, and get panic attacks when my thoughts race until I have to isolate and distract myself to calm down any. Anxiety issues run in my family, and I'm wondering if maybe I should be getting some medical help too.

Thing is, I've never looked for a therapist myself. In highschool, I asked my mom if there was someone I could talk to about my sexuality, and she found the aforementioned psychologist, so I've never looked for one myself. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as finding someone?

Welcome, E.Alpine.

You can also use this link. Just enter the zip code you want to search for and this should offer a list of available therapists in your area. I do recommend that you ask them about insurance coverage if you have it available. Some take insurance and some do not. I hope you find a good match and a therapist you feel you can work with. Best wishes to you.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/

• 4 years later...

Psychologists indeed add to the prosperity of the society in many ways. Through assisting people in appreciating and managing their sentiments, they have become vital professionals. Thanks to psychologists, individuals can manage their behaviors effectively and achieve a dominant presence.

On 11/15/2016 at 3:35 AM, E.Alpine said:

So--

Things have been getting rough in my life lately. It's starting to become more than I can handle, and I want to find professional help. But, I have a lot of difficulty finding someone appropriate. The most successful therapist I've had was a very personable psychologist that helped me over two years, but I don't want to go back because of a snide comment he made to me.

I'm also considering that my brain might be chemically imbalanced. I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, and I've been depressed since middle school--and now I'm a university student. I have social anxiety, and get panic attacks when my thoughts race until I have to isolate and distract myself to calm down any. Anxiety issues run in my family, and I'm wondering if maybe I should be getting some medical help too.

Thing is, I've never looked for a therapist myself. In highschool, I asked my mom if there was someone I could talk to about my sexuality, and she found the aforementioned psychologist, so I've never looked for one myself. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as finding someone?

Exercise and medications for ADHD such as Ritalin and Adderall work similarly. But unlike ADHD medication, exercise doesn’t require a prescription and it’s side-effect free.
Psychologists indeed add to the prosperity of the society in many ways. Through assisting people in appreciating and managing their sentiments, they have become vital professionals. Individuals can manage their behaviors effectively and achieve a dominant presence.
Talk to your GP. You don’t need to keep feeling like this. Effective treatments are available and you can get better.