Mental Support Community

I blew it

Obsolete

1 hour ago, TinyBlackDick said:

I think one statement from a friend really hit home. Its very simple but it got me thinking. He said to an atheist that "if I'm wrong and you're right then I have nothing to worry about. If I die I die and so there isn't any everlasting regret or pain and suffering in that case. However if I'm right and you're wrong then you've got a whole lot of suffering to endure."

btw, i forgot the most important downside of believing in god etc, guilt! i don't think we need studies and stats to know that religion is the source of most guilt. and as any psychologist will tell you, guilt is one of the most (if not the most) destructive feelings.

1 hour ago, Resolute said:

actually, he has plenty to worry about (and so do you). i wouldn't exactly call living in constant worry and fear of some mythical entity your entire life "nothing".

furthermore, all the evidence points to the nonexistence of god and afterlife etc. or at the very least there isn't a shred of evidence, or even indication, to the contrary. in other words: you live in constant fear, worry, stress etc because of something that has 0.00001% chance of being true.

well, evidence for determinism is beyond reproach; and no reward and punishment can conceivably be just given that fact (as einstein mentioned as well). so if god is unjust and unreasonable, then there really are no guarantees with him anyway. i mean even if you do everything he supposedly asked of you, you might still enter hell, just for the hell of it (pun intended).

also, ask your friend: how does he know which religion and sect of the thousands available is approved by god (if any)? and how can he be certain that some of these religions/sects aren't worse in god's eyes than atheism?

About the worrying, I was talking about after death. If death is final then that's it. There's no regrets or any sort of suffering. Yes in this world i may suffer and it may very well be for nothing but once I'm gone it won't matter because there's no conscience to worry about what you missed out on. Life simply ends . That's what he was trying to say and that's what I was attempting to communicate.

My take on God is that you either believe or you don't. I don't debate it because it never ends well. And anybody trying to prove the existence of God is on the back foot because how do you prove something that you can't see and requires faith for you to experience it's existence? If God wanted to show himself to all he'd just show up and declare himself to be the one and only God. 

I've lost communication with my friend so I can't ask him any questions, what I do know is he treated everybody the same no matter their belief. Even those who claimed God he questioned. 

5 minutes ago, TinyBlackDick said:

About the worrying, I was talking about after death. If death is final then that's it. There's no regrets or any sort of suffering. Yes in this world i may suffer and it may very well be for nothing but once I'm gone it won't matter because there's no conscience to worry about what you missed out on. Life simply ends . That's what he was trying to say and that's what I was attempting to communicate.

nonetheless, you still can't solve the problem of which of the countless religions and sects (if any) is the one god wants. simply going along with your birth religion doesn't seem like a solid strategy.

My take on God is that you either believe or you don't. I don't debate it because it never ends well. And anybody trying to prove the existence of God is on the back foot because how do you prove something that you can't see and requires faith for you to experience it's existence?

so how come many believers (including myself in the past) never experienced anything?

If God wanted to show himself to all he'd just show up and declare himself to be the one and only God. 

if he wants to stay anonymous then perhaps not believing in him is the safer option. ;)

I've lost communication with my friend so I can't ask him any questions, what I do know is he treated everybody the same no matter their belief. Even those who claimed God he questioned. 

it would suck if your friend found out that he was right, but chose the wrong religion.

15 minutes ago, Resolute said:

nonetheless, you still can't solve the problem of which of the countless religions and sects (if any) is the one god wants. simply going along with your birth religion doesn't seem like a solid strategy.

so how come many believers (including myself in the past) never experienced anything?

if he wants to stay anonymous then perhaps not believing in him is the safer option. ;)

it would suck if your friend found out that he was right, but chose the wrong religion.

On you're 1st point. TRUE.

2nd point. Perhaps YahwehOrTheHighway can help you out on this one.

3rd point. There's always an option to believe or not. God doesn't force himself on anyone.

4th point. I think he would agree with you on that one.

16 minutes ago, Resolute said:

i've always liked german cars, especially mercedes and its prestigious symbol. however, in terms of speed and acceleration, audi truly is one of the best (specially in its respective price range).

I think audi is killing it currently in terms of performance and Design. Here in South Africa, BMW is king. AMG is called the All Mighty God and Audi is Lord of the Rings. 

If science has all the answers then why is the world in such rough shape?  Science can't even cure the common cold much less cancer and their solutions cause as many problems as they solve look at antibiotics, pesticides and any form of technology - all of it harms the environment & harms people.

Personally I feel no one really know dick about anything.  These scientists "find" whatever the people writing the checks tell them to find.  

In my mind science, pseudoscience, and religion are all just tools the powerful use to control and exploit the weak.  It's all propaganda gentlemen.  

Just my 2 cents! 

27 minutes ago, Victimorthecrime said:

In my mind science, pseudoscience, and religion are all just tools the powerful use to control and exploit the weak.  It's all propaganda gentlemen. 

confucius say, it's impossible not to believe anything about anything. i dare you to not have some sort of belief! dismissing everything solves nothing. it's just as dangerous to reject everything as it is to accept everything.

i myself follow logic and philosophy, but dismissing everything without any basis/proof is not the way.

I believe in whatever works.  If logic and philosophy works for you then go for it.  I like logic and philosophy too and have used it to good effect at times.  That's a different argument than what I was making.  I was addressing the question of who has ultimate answers but whatever I really don't give a fuck what people believe. Unless they're signing my paycheck ?

Brett Michaels is going out on tour this summer w Poison. This guy has had: appendix nearly rupture, heart valve failure, kidney failure, diabetic coma, substance abuse issues. He's 54 yrs old and when asked how he does it he said "I play the cards I've been dealt".  Speaking for myself I like that attitude.  

There's a collective narrative here and I'm glad so many people share it. Without a doubt, women are always favoured in all traditional/sexual relationships. In (western) monogamous long term relationships especially, a man serves as nothing more than a tool for a woman, to provide for her selflessly while she emasculates and feeds off him. And for what? So he doesn't feel alone? He gets to have begrudgingly awkward sex whenever she's feeling charitable? TBD, I'm sorry you're feeling glum about that girl. Most of these women whore themselves out to the highest bidder. 

What exactly are western women good for in relationships these days? Where old school psychologists substantiated that men and women tend to seek surrogate mother & father figures in their respective relationships, where does the status quo stand today?

JLO released the single "Ain't yo mama" last year which received just shy of 450 million YouTube hits. As the title indicates, she begins by listing a set of domestic & (other) duties traditionally carried out by female spouses, and proceeds to remind her mythical man that she's unwilling to fulfill these obligations!

So tell me whore, what exactly are you good for? Why am I devoting myself to the likes of you in return for the promise of sex and company, of which we both know that scores of men before me (and probably women) secured for absolutely free? All the while, the same woman released a single 3 years ago titled "I luh ya papi (daddy)" so we clearly have double standards here.

This attitude in pop culture has really branded us a new type of whore to chase, while simultaneously conditioning the male populace to be subservient to women. Like clueless dogs, men chase women and should we be so lucky to find one approving of our services - she'll do the pragmatic thing and tie one down with marriage thereby securing 50% of his assets should the situation "not work out". 

The champion is left half the man he was, while she cries to her therapist all the way to the bank, learning new affirmation techniques that will have her "go go gadget legs" open again in no time. Before you can say "3 bags full" she'll own a new wide eyed puppy afoot, lapping up the peanut butter from her second hand coal mine while she handles the grown up stuff and prepares his time for her, wisely.