Mental Support Community

Passing Time

Obsolete

3 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

I have very little actual fun these days - no parties, no girls, no outdoor adventures, no vacations - nothing.  

Me neither. Not even back then because back then is now. I went camping and canoeing about 4 years ago. I got to go on vacation to the beach and see the ocean about 17 years ago. I've never been to another country or done anything exciting. When I lived at home I could at least go outdoors and do outdoorsy things, now I can't even do that. So I sit on my ass like a recluse. Solitary confinement would be no punishment for me, I've basically lived that way for a decade. 

20 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

It was a good thread tbd started. Talking about things we do for fun.   I have very little actual fun these days - no parties, no girls, no outdoor adventures, no vacations - nothing.  

Was there a time you actually got to enjoy any of those things?

38 minutes ago, YahwehOrTheHighway said:

Hey TBD, what do you think of Trevor Noah? Is he still popular over there?

Yeah he's South Africas golden boy. I like his stand ups more though, I don't enjoy him on the Daily Show. He is easily the most loved comedian in SA (even before his success in the USA). Charlize Theron is another made-in-SA success story. Terry Pheto is also making moves in the US. Small moves but moves non the less. She had a small role in The Bold and the Beautiful as a doctor I think.... Another big deal is Pearl Thusi. She's on what is advertised as a "hit show" that goes by the name Quantico. Tried to watch an episode of it but got bored.

Edit: Forgot to mention Black Coffee. South African House DJ who's now working with the likes of Drake and Alicia Keys. I went to primary school with his now wife. In fact, I had a major crush on her back then. ?. I didn't persue because I was shy and not outgoing.

2 hours ago, TinyBlackDick said:

Was there a time you actually got to enjoy any of those things?

Yes yes there was tbd. Things were never super great or anything but at least I had some fun.  A combination of bad decisions & bad luck fucked it up.  I used to go fishing, swimming, boating, partying, hiking, concerts.    There are still things I enjoy and maybe things will get better w a little luck.  

How about you tbd - tell me more more about fun things that you get to do.   

2 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

How about you tbd - tell me more more about fun things that you get to do.   

I don't really have fun Vic?. I spend the majority of my time alone. I do go out but it's usually by myself. I go to the movies and eat out alone. I've bought myself a nice little DSLR. I'm planning on taking up photography and travelling, that could be fun..?. But I only see myself in these plans. I've got friends yes and I do enjoy getting together with them sometimes....I guess I'm just used to being alone...? I tend to distance myself from people because of my insecurites.

Last year I met a very cool guy. Man I could tell he wanted us to be really close brothers. He's a very interesting guy, smart and outgoing. He suggested many things, strips clubs, adventure tournaments, concerts yack yack blah blah. I went out for drinks with him once, after which I started to back away.

I did the same to another fellow whom i regard as a friend. When we first started to get to know each other he had a tendency of calling regularly wanting to hang out. I stopped answering his calls. I'd call him much later and apologise for missing his call (childish I know). I did that often enough that he stopped calling so often but we still hang from time to time. They're really cool guys but I don't allow people to get close period. 

A highschool friend keeps asking when I'm going to come to his place to hang out. But he is a far more interesting guy with far more interesting friends. I have opened up to him concerning my size insecurites and my lack of interest in persuing relationships. I don't pretend with him. He knows almost all my issues. But he's also bi and has been trying to get into my pants. Not cool. No amount of sexlessness is going to make me gay.

What you describe sounds like it fits a number of us here tbd, but I'll let people speak for themselves.  I feel like I have nothing to add to a social occasion; I haven't been anywhere or done anything interesting so I have no conversation.  

Hope things get better for you. I hope you enjoy the new camera.  

1 hour ago, TinyBlackDick said:

I don't really have fun Vic?. I spend the majority of my time alone. I do go out but it's usually by myself. I go to the movies and eat out alone. I've bought myself a nice little DSLR. I'm planning on taking up photography and travelling, that could be fun..?. But I only see myself in these plans. I've got friends yes and I do enjoy getting together with them sometimes....I guess I'm just used to being alone...? <b>I tend to distance myself from people because of my insecurites.</b>

I completely agree with this and also what victim said about feeling like not having anything to offer. I choose isolation over socializing because I feel inadequate and usually it just puts me in an even worse mood so that I usually leave pissed off. Almost everyone else makes me feel inferior so I go into it like a competition. It's impossible for me to enjoy or have fun with other people because of this.

1 hour ago, Klingcorn said:

I completely agree with this and also what victim said about feeling like not having anything to offer. I choose isolation over socializing because I feel inadequate and usually it just puts me in an even worse mood so that I usually leave pissed off. Almost everyone else makes me feel inferior so I go into it like a competition. It's impossible for me to enjoy or have fun with other people because of this.

100%. Perfectly put. The part about leaving pissed off....I know exactly what you're talking about. 

1 hour ago, Victimorthecrime said:

What you describe sounds like it fits a number of us here tbd, but I'll let people speak for themselves.  I feel like I have nothing to add to a social occasion; I haven't been anywhere or done anything interesting so I have no conversation.  

Hope things get better for you. I hope you enjoy the new camera.  

That's funny because you guys seem really interesting. You seem like you have plenty to share. You're all very smart and hilarious.

23 minutes ago, TinyBlackDick said:

That's funny because you guys seem really interesting. You seem like you have plenty to share. You're all very smart and hilarious.

I can be funny at times and in the right environment.  I have to be careful because lately my wit has turned dark & sardonic.  Plus we live in a society where people are just waiting to be offended.  

I don't want to paint too bleak a picture. Some of my isolation is self imposed and a result of learning how some "friends" are a waste of time, money and energy and I would prefer to be alone than w some dip-shit.  Also there are some green shoots that I hope to cultivate.  Don't want to say too much 'cause my brain will get twisted and fuck it up.  

If I had one piece of advice to give people (here we fucking go!) it would be to embrace your life and who you are.  I used to say 'accept' but 'embrace' is better.  For example if some dude is a weird looking rather under gifted individual who lives w his mom I say "embrace it".  Be who you are and live your life for real.  I mean what the fuck is anyone doing that is any better?  Are they curing cancer?  Are they crime-stopping super heros?  No.  In a short time they will be in a box underground w the worms eating out their ass.  So fuck 'em!  Whatever they have was given to them by nature and family.  Ok rant over here's your taffy ??

It's nice to see everyone chatting and interacting. :)

Passing time. I like to watch Red Sox baseball games. We occasionally relax with a movie or television show at night. I enjoy walks, time outside in nature, observing and attempting to photograph wildlife, creating art with my daughter, sitting in my pink room.. We don't travel or go out very often, just on a special occasion. I would like to spend more time doing fun things as well. 

I used to struggle a lot socially too, but not nearly as much now. I do still have trouble with the speed of back and forth verbal exchange, but my social anxiety is largely gone. I hope social situations become easier for everyone. I haven't seen all of the posts here yet. Just catching up. I hope everyone is doing all right.

A great deal of my reclusiveness is self imposed too. I have one friend that I hang out with like monthly. Recently he called wanting to go out, but I told him I'm not in the mood and that I wouldn't be hanging out for some time. He isn't missing out. He's made some new friends at work recently, so he'll be okay. He actually has size issues too, and used to have severe social anxiety. Looks like he's managed to overcome it. 

Meanwhile I'm alone. He's outgrown me and left me behind. When people ask me what I "do" it confuses me. If they're talking activities then I do nothing. But in my time alone I'm "being" or "existing". Essentially I'm feeling, processing, imagining. I live in my mind so I'm not activity centric. When I'm around people, it's like I'm mechanically pulled out of my world and into theirs. & this sucks. So I avoid people. I also avoid them because I don't measure up. I'm not cool, I don't dress well, I'm not charismatic, fun or good looking. I can poorly imitate I suppose, but I feel like an imposter. 

So what are your best and worst attributes @everyone? If I'm hijacking your thread TBD let me know & I'll fuck off.

@Small The anesthesiatist asked me that in the middle a caesarian. "So, what do you do"? I said "Right now, I'm doing this". What a question. I always thought I should have some sarky answer to that question like "I'm head overseer to the managing director working directly for the owner of a multi platform media node, and on weekends I deliver pizza for Dominoes, you?" 

@YahwehOrTheHighway

I had someone tell me he was a medical doctor when I didn't even ask. I worked as a waiter back at uni, and a customer asked if he could sample a chicken dish before he ordered it. I hesitated, so he went on to assure me he was a Doctor. Lol. What does that have to do with anything? Was he going to give it an autopsy, or time of death? Like don't get me wrong, I'm glad he gives out cough medicine & condoms but we're good here thanks.

8 hours ago, IrmaJean said:

Passing time. I like to watch Red Sox baseball games.

I noticed they won a match against the Twins. You must be delighted.

We occasionally relax with a movie or television show at night. I enjoy walks, time outside in nature, observing and attempting to photograph wildlife, creating art with my daughter, sitting in my pink room.. We don't travel or go out very often, just on a special occasion. I would like to spend more time doing fun things as well. 

Sounds beautiful. I used to day dream a lot about having a family, teaching my kids different life lessons, and having fun with them. My mother still thinks this going to happen even after I've told her I'm no ever getting married. I feel sorry for her because she genuinely wants grand kids and I'm not interested. GoI'd thing she has two sons.

used to struggle a lot socially too, but not nearly as much now. I do still have trouble with the speed of back and forth verbal exchange, but my social anxiety is largely gone. I hope social situations become easier for everyone. I haven't seen all of the posts here yet. Just catching up. I hope everyone is doing all right.

I'm glad you managed to beat your social anxiety. One thing I may attempt is taking a public speaking class and see how that works out. Nice hearing from you IrmaJean.?

6 hours ago, Small said:

So I avoid people. I also avoid them because I don't measure up. I'm not cool, I don't dress well, I'm not charismatic, fun or good looking. I can poorly imitate I suppose, but I feel like an imposter.

Yep, all of the above. 

9 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

If I had one piece of advice to give people (here we fucking go!) it would be to embrace your life and who you are.  I used to say 'accept' but 'embrace' is better.  For example if some dude is a weird looking rather under gifted individual who lives w his mom I say "embrace it".  Be who you are and live your life for real.  I mean what the fuck is anyone doing that is any better?  Are they curing cancer?  Are they crime-stopping super heros?  No.  In a short time they will be in a box underground w the worms eating out their ass.  So fuck 'em!  Whatever they have was given to them by nature and family.  Ok rant over here's your taffy ??

Wonderfully put Vic.?☺

8 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

Are they crime-stopping super heros?  No.  

Actually Victim, i'll have you know I've been likened to Batman. Specifically, in the dark knight rises installment. Starting where we find out Bruce Wayne is a reclusive cripple - up until the part where he leaves the house.