Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ba51th

survival guide in a civil war

15 posts in this topic

tell me everyone, if civil war happen in your country, what you gonna do to prepare for that?

my country surrounded by seas and oceans, and I don't trust smuggler. I can't think any way to get people I love to safe place...

8 hours ago, ba51th said:

my country surrounded by seas and oceans, and I don't trust smuggler. I can't think any way to get people I love to safe place...

sorry to hear that, ba. hopefully, no civil war will happen. :)

4 hours ago, Klingcorn said:

Why would you want to survive? For me it would relieve the burden of blowing my own brains out. 

This reminded me of a bizarre "statistical observation" that the number of suicides is much lower during a war - people "suddenly" want to survive. Who knows; you might also change your mind. But I hope war won't come to test it... :( 

Klingcorn and Victimorthecrime like this

That's an interesting observation Lala, and I started to comment on that even though I was unaware of the statistic. You could interpret this to mean that people now have a "reason to die", in other words, they can die without the stigma or complications or empty ideation of suicide...how many actions undertaken during wartime would be ordinarily classified as "suicide"? Also, there could be an element of wanting to be proven right - modern wars are waged for economic reasons but there's always some ideological veneer coating it to make it palatable to the masses; I wonder if it makes otherwise apathetic people suddenly committed to a "belief"? I mean we can see that with politics today...every side is absolutely convinced they are right and the "enemy" is absolutely wrong. At that point it becomes less about killing or being killed than being proven right or wrong. I've touched on that before, it's my theory people prefer death to being proven wrong. 

I'm not being antagonistic, it's a genuinely interesting topic I think. I'm not sure exactly what I would do. It would depend on how angry I was about the situation or how much of an injustice I perceived it to be as to whether I chose to "join sides" and fight or not. I'm generally apathetic unless something makes me angry; otherwise my philosophy is avoidance, both of people and situations. 

10 hours ago, LaLa said:

This reminded me of a bizarre "statistical observation" that the number of suicides is much lower during a war - people "suddenly" want to survive. Who knows; you might also change your mind. But I hope war won't come to test it... :( 

It could give people something that they feel is worth fighting for or possibly they could be less focused on personal struggles (or distracted from them) when there is a war going on. Possibly too it could bring the reality of death closer and that might make them realize they want to live...

This is all speculation on my part, but it is an interesting statistic, LaLa. 

@Victimorthecrime, as an aside, our dogs are just like that...even years after being rescued from a puppy mill. Perfect description.

Victimorthecrime likes this

Thanks for the video, @Klingcorn! :D 

And Beth; yes, scientists/psychologists have these explanations, too. I can understand it rationally, I just find it weird anyway (we humans are weird in general ;) ).

On 5/24/2017 at 10:40 PM, Klingcorn said:

Why would you want to survive? For me it would relieve the burden of blowing my own brains out. 

because there are some people that I love and care... knowing something bad might happen to them and I can't do anything to save them...

imagine that I have a wife that I love so much, and because I can't do anything I was forced to see her turn into sex slave and/or raped right in front of my eyes... I can't let such thing happen... I can't just die before I'm sure that she is safe... if I die but know that she is safe, it's fine by me...

LaLa and Klingcorn like this

That's a good point too, ba51th. I have family also that I would worry about during bad times. I would feel responsible for them too.