Mental Support Community

Do you have aversions to certain foods?

CheldonMK

I hope I'm not the only one who has aversions to certain foods. For my whole life, I've had an irrational aversion to grapes. Like, it sounds weird because they are a harmless fruit. But my brain is wired to believe that they are somehow "contaminated" and must be avoided at all costs. If I accidentally come into contact with them, I have to wash the area immediately or else I have some serious anxiety about becoming contaminated. My family makes fun of me for it, but it's a serious irrational belief that I can't seem to get rid of. I have intrusive thoughts of them being shoved down my throat, which makes me want to vomit, then drink bleach behind it. I'd never drink bleach, but my intrusive thoughts show me forcing myself to vomit, then drinking bleach, only to force vomiting again. I really hope I'm not the only one who deals with food aversions like this. It's not a full-blown phobia, but it definitely causes me significant anxiety. Even photos of them make me uneasy. I feel like a lunatic whenever these thoughts come up. Like, it's a harmless food, but it gives me so much anxiety.

Mash potato. I fucking hate it with a passion. Over the years I've had people serve it to me even though I've told them I hate it because "You'll like mine" and I've had to stop myself throwing up on the plate. I feel like it's going to choke me if I eat it, like it'll get lodged in my throat and suffocate me (I'm feeling sick thinking about it). When I was a kid I was wetting myself in school and they didn't know why, turned out they were feeding me mash. My stepdad would make me eat it as a teenager (psycho) so I'd feed it to the dog (what a dog). My son absolutely loves it though, and I don't mind other people eating it.