Mental Support Community

What Music Do You Listen To?

LovingTheAlien

I love music ? rock, pop, really nearly all forms.

I love the Grateful Dead, Phish, Hot Tuna, Stones, R.E.M., Springsteen, Moe, Widespread Panic, Dylan, Luna, Love, Kiss, the Clash, the Alarm, etc just so many.  I like the ones you just named too except Spice Girls.  

What other ones do you like?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I listen to metal pretty much exclusively, but my music tastes can be somewhat eclectic. I go through phrases depending on where I'm at mentally. Sometimes I'll listen to metal/hardcore punk for months at a time, but every now and again it's nice to kick back with a glass of red listening to the dulcet tones of Billy Ocean. 

• 4 weeks later...

Without talking about what I like to listen to in great detail, just a general observation or two.

I think it's quite telling that people - and I would say white men especially but definitely not exclusively - often seem to prefer the music of the past to the music of today. It says a lot about the state of our current popular culture and where our society is heading, that people would rather listen to music from 30, 40 or even 50 years ago to the music from the current era.

In all honesty, I like music from all eras. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even some more recent stuff as well. I know loads about music. I can listen to the poppiest of pop, or the most obscure of 20-minute prog rock compositions from the 70s. Doesn't bother me.

Another thing I would say is this: does the fact that people want to listen to pop music well into adulthood make us all eternal teenagers who haven't fully grown up? If you have ever heard of the author Diana West and her book The Death of the Grown Up, some traditionalists like her would view our obsession with pop culture in a negative light like that.

I think enjoying music of the past can be a reflection of what we connected with growing up. It's nostalgic. Listening to the oldies reminds me of that period of time in my life. As far as preferences go, possibly personality plays some role. Not surprisingly, I prefer soft and soothing music, though I enjoy many genres.

So perhaps it's not so much that we haven't grown up, but rather that we enjoy reflecting on memories of happier or simpler times?

11 minutes ago, IrmaJean said:

I think enjoying music of the past can be a reflection of what we connected with growing up. It's nostalgic. Listening to the oldies reminds me of that period of time in my life. As far as preferences go, possibly personality plays some role. Not surprisingly, I prefer soft and soothing music, though I enjoy many genres.

So perhaps it's not so much that we haven't grown up, but rather that we enjoy reflecting on memories of happier or simpler times?

I think that's a very fair point.

That being said, some of us are relatively young and enjoy music that was made before we were born more than music that has come out since.

I like a lot of recent stuff too, but certain years were better for certain genres imo. For me the late 60's & 70's was a good time for rock, the 80's we're good for pop and the 90's we're good for metal. Obviously there are lots of crossovers, but like Irma said, parents and older siblings play a big part in what we enjoy. I grew up with family listing to The Jam and David Bowie and now my kids have grown up in it. I guess we likes what we likes. I also subscribe to the idea of stuff growing on you. Music I would normally have scoffed at being a bit of a snob will grow on me if people around me listen to it enough ie radio playing the same song over and over and over lol. 

• 11 months later...