Mental Support Community

Adult ADHD

Guest ASchwartz

Hi, i did the test and scored 90. Im still in denial. Im scared to go to a psyc cuz my recall is poor when im talking to ppl, my listening and talking also sux. I hav 2 kids and to find time for it? My son is adhd as well. Ppl dnt understand me when i talk. Bt if i teach the kids understand the math and i hav a high pass rate. I hav no social life besides family and i drag my husb with to visit people.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Sweetmom2.

What are you afraid of? By going to a psychiatrist, you will learn what your diagnosis is, or, is not. If you do have ADHD you will learn how to deal with it and improve your listening skills and memory skills. You could also see a clinical psychologist. Why not give it a try?

Allan:)

Hi Sweetmom2,

If you have a problem that disrupts your life, there's no reason to avoid getting help. If you are ADD the therapist can help you learn new ways of managing every day tasks. I went to a psychiatrist for about 3 months and came out able to start and finish tasks, something I had been unable to do for most of my life! In little things like doing the laundry, cleaning, working... I have seen major changes (like actually doing them). It's worth every bit of effort you put in.

Im feeling very anxious right now, low breathing and cold. Financial stress. My expenses are more than half my income and a third is for groceries. Im already half way through it. There is 3weeks left. The expenses are

insurance(cant do better) school fund, babysitter-and-house keeper, satelite tv, phones(expires june), municipality and power. Im a math teacher in another town(husb pays the house and petrol) with two small children. We hav rental income(petrol money) i cant see a way out!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Sweetmom2,

I agree with Cloud9. There is help out there and it could help you cope better with the situation. Also, try to take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. This is happening across the nation.

Also, your husband and you are part of a team. You are not in this alone. You should try to use him as a source of comfort and reassurance. He may not feel as anxious as you.

Lastly, do you and he have family? It all depends on the family but there are those with relatives who are more than happy to help. What is your situation with regard to family and, do you do any private tutoring to raise extra money. You said you are a math teacher. Math teachers are usually in demand to help other families with their children's math learning needs.

What do you think? ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi all, Been reading the stories and just want to wish everyone the best of luck in their situations. Diagnosed with ADHD & Major Depression last week. I have a prescription for Concerta and seems everyone around me wants me to try taking it, but the one that didn't is my chiropractor who goes the natural approach on everything he treats. He is always straight with me and I trust him. And I am not sure about starting up a medicine this serious. I want to explore more alternatives. But the prescription for Concerta would only be for 1 month. So am wondering if it's worth a try and can I easily stop after starting to take it if I want.

Am also trying to make sense when talking to my mom about all this. I live with her even though I am 41. We don't seem to be getting along alot right now. I don't think she believes alot of this. She gets upset with me, and I wish I could find my own space, but don't have a job and can't support myself.

Anyway sorry for the jibberish I just don't have a good outsource at home, so I need to use places like this.

Good Day.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Pinecone,

Concerta is a good medication but I understand your reluctance to use it. There are some herbal remedies that work somewhat like Concerta but, in my opinion, a drug is a drug whatever you call it.

In my experience it is skills training that works best with ADHD. You need to see a clinical psychologist who does coaching for ADHD and there are plenty around. There are also good books in the book stores about adults with this and they give very helpful exercises.

There is no harm in trying the Concerta for a month. It is non addicting and easy to stop and start.

I am happy to answer your questions.

Allan ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...