Mental Support Community

Five Days, No Pills

• 3 months later...

We all have our thing. I'm a smart person, have a good job, good kids, good house, but I can't figure out how to love myself. I talk about it here, to invisible strangers, but in real life I put on a face and pretend. I guess we all do, but lately I'm having a hard time with it. Moods aren't very stable and I come off agressive sometimes - I said a nasty thing to my daughter and really hurt her feelings. I hate it when I do that :) I'm <edgy> and I don't like it...

I texted her and apologized, and we are speaking, although she is very cold with me... some lines you should not transgress, even if she was being impatient. It was one of those things you think in your head but should never say to a human being, especially not your kid, it's so harmful...

Hi Smallstar, I got really tired and needed to go to bed.... I know you were trying to be supportive :). She'll forgive me, we love each other. I just don't like my own anger lately, so I can understand when you say you are angry with yourself and feeling frustrated by that....

I want to tell you not to get discouraged about overcoming your addiction, if that is what you want. I have lived a few years and seen many people overcome all types of addictions, heroin, coke, pot, alcohol, cigarettes - long time users too, like 20-30-40 years. And I know some other people who still smoke pot regularly bafter 40 years and are fine with that too. I quit smoking last year after 40 years of addiction, body just would not let me do it anymore. I had agonized over it for 20 years, tried to stop countless times and hated myself for not being able to, and then it just happened...

I think anger and frustration with yourself may be counterproductive in your efforts. That just makes me run to my addictions personally. Perhaps you can cultivate an attitude of loving and healing yourself, a gentler approach may make it easier... what do you think?

Edited by Symora

I"m sorry to hear that... :) What are your plans for the weekend, are you going to do anything to try to make yourself feel a little better? Here the sun is finally starting to shine and the flowers are out ... in Canada spring is truly a beautiful thing, and a warm shinning sun sure is good for morale!

Edited by Symora

I did actually have a good day. I work for a national museum and we have been in major renovations for 6 years. The grand-reopening celebrations are next week and a colleage and I are organizing the hundreds of volunteers who will be helping out during the 3 days. Lots of work, but also very exciting and joyful.... Just goes to show that when I have less time to think, things can feel a lot better ... I have this <thinking too much problem> :o...

Are you enjoying your new job? Shopping ... I have mixed feelings about shopping :) New stuff is always fun, but if I don't find what I'm looking for I can get a little irritable... I have to been in the mood...