Mental Support Community

Aspergers syndrome

My youngest son is currently having his new educational assessment. After reading some of his paper work the Psychologist wants to screen him for Aspergers Syndrome. We know already that he is Dyslexic.

I seriously don't think he has Aspergers. I thought my load was heavy enough, my two other children are also dyslexic, my older son has ADHD.

Whatever the outcome I suppose I will have to rise to this challenge as well.

I am weary at this stage.

Goose

Hi goose,

Is this a school psychologist? I ask this because I have recently heard that soon Aspergers syndrome and PDD are both going to be taken off the DSM manual > they are not going to be a diagnoses anymore . It is going to be straight autism . It is because so many children are being diagnosed as having austism .

Do you live in the United States? I know that it was in the newspaper where I live just on Monday . their was a whole article about this very subject.

I just wanted you to be informed . the Psychologist ought to know this too? However, I do not know where u live .

mscat.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi all,

I read that article as well. I had the feeling that Aspergers could be put into a separate category. Perhaps I am wrong.

As for those in other nations, they often go by a different diagnostic system that the American DSM. Not better, just different.

Allan

Thank mscat,

I am in Ireland. His last assessment was done by the school - very inadequate. The state only fund 1 assessement per 50 students a year - so it is nearly impossible to get an assessment. We are paying €500 for this assessment and it will be worth every cent as this Psychologist is very good, she has already done 3 other assessements for us on our other children.

She is going to try and make a case for him to have a lap-top for school, home and exams. In reality we will probably have to pay for one because the budget for special needs in schools has been drastically reduced.

My son has a first cousin (in Germany) with severe autism, so we are familiar with that end of things. I am just shocked that if he does have Aspergers that I have missed it. We always thought that Ro. was just Ro. with his odd ways and quirks.

Goose

Edited by goose
typo

Gosse I know that your son will always be your son no matter what , lablels really are just intended to get the services , for your child . I hope he does and is able to have the services no matter what happens.

My so has autistic disorder, and has had mostly all his life. his lateest evaluation was just completed recently by a neuropsycholgist . I just looked up at hime and said "that's Matthew" he descibed my child's behavior , not a surprise he acted that way during the tests or eval . when I was not there. He is who he is , and always has been. My son is higher functioning , that is what I think at least. I have been around many autistic children , for years .

and to me , they are who they are, people first and foremost .

I hope your son will be able to have his needs met educationally and things will go well .

mscat

• 1 month later...

Hey goose. I hope for your sake the tests do just show you didn't miss anything.

I remember my nephew's brother (different fathers) when he was younger we would've sworn he had Aspergers and he even appeared that way to assessment and within a year he changed completely. ADHD still, sure, but I've never seen a child metamorph so much.

His older brother was a bit like that too though my nephew never was, but it makes me think it's the mother influence more than father. She's had twins now to yet another father so I'm really intrigued to see if they show similar symptoms and if so if they grow out of it too.

My nephew is dyslexic though and my brother is, so that could be a paternal influence. He's ADHD also is quite under control with us, but not at school or when with his mother. I really wonder how much of an influence nature is on some things.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Goose and Everyone,

Wow, Mscat, you are right on target about diagnoses or names. They are just labels to help professionals treat children and adults. But, bottom line, we are human beings. Goose, I agree with Mscat, your son is your son and you love him and always will regardless of labels.

Allan

seaj,

I'd like to comment on your signature... Where did you find this? It hits true to home with me. Personally , having the diagnoses of BPD , & the chosen method of SI I have used for years is burning . Thing is, the SI has become , true to your signature, what I've done to myself , severely , and trying to heal right now too.

anyway , that sig. speaks volumes as to myself , and where i have become . who said this orginally ?

mscat