Mental Support Community

Is this attention or really depression?

paula

A girl I know says she is very depressed. She has been under her doctor for 12 Months for this, who have prescribed a mixture of medication because this girl says that none of them work?

The thing is: this girl is not taking each and every medication that has been prescribed to her correctly! She will try her medication for a couple of days and then say that it is not working? She will then stop taking them and pay her doctor another visit at the end of her course and tell him that there not working, who then, prescribes her a different Anti-depressant. This has constantly gone on for the 12 Months which her doctor is unaware of.

Now her doctor has asked her to go for blood test to see what the problem is. She failed to attend these blood test!

Is this attention or really depression?

Oh, for a second, I thought you meant "attention-seeking", but you meant "attention-deficit" ...

Um, if it were attention deficit, I would wonder why she doesn't say "I forgot" instead of "they didn't work". But a lot of people don't like how it feels, when anti-depressants start working, and don't have the patience to wait for them to work properly. It would help if her doctor had a better idea of the fact that she's not trying, though.

Can you talk her into telling him what really happens?

{Oh, and Hi Paula!} :-)

Hi malign

I don't know what it is with her?

She drinks cans practically every day but... I wouldn't say she's an alcoholic. She will start drinking around lunch time then say... have a cup of tea in between then start back on the cans of an evening.

She has had all sorts of anti-depressants of the doctor and takes them when she feels like, and not when it says on the packet? However, she is quite partial to taking diazepam. She gets her husband to get them of his doctor for her. I have explained that she shouldn't be taking any one else's medication and also how addictive diazepam really is. She say's she only takes them for her nerves but... her nerves seem fine to me.

As far as having a word with her... i've tried on a number of occasions and it goes in one ear and out of the other?

She rather self medicate then to follow the DR.'s orders... The drinking is a way for her to do that, as well as taking the meds that are not hers. If she is not going to listen to you , then their really is not much that can be done about her behavior. The thing is with her drinking and on meds, that is dangerous. Let her know that. She is not going to be feeling better completely until she stops . Some people have to learn the hard way , or hit rock bottom before they accept the help they need.

I know what your saying Cathy but... she's so unpredictable!

I don't know whether she is suffering with depression? She's one of these who will go to a Chinese Herbalist and spend pounds on herbal tablets to help her depression then go in a pharmacy and ask the pharmacy if these tablets are worth taking? So, a matter of fact... there pissing against the wind with her! Excuse the expression!

I think she puts on more than is actually wrong with her?

Archived