Mental Support Community

Binge eating and the new DSM criteria

Lindamomof7

Hi Linda,

I guess refining the criteria more narrowly cuts costs, too.

Have often been anorexic in my life, losing 20 lbs in a couple of months easy, to very thin. 98 lbs. Now, with seroquel, I get hungry in the evening and can eat, eat, eat,

then wake with stomach contents coming up my throat and nose. Also have gained thirty pounds in a few months from it.

The brain is weird.

Thanks for your loving support.

katleen

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if binge eating is what I do, but even though I eat all the time, I also have times when I am upset, like tonight, where I eat nonstop! This evening I have had four bowls of chicken curry, two ramen noodles, a large banana blueberry smoothie, a large glass of milk, and all of this in about 5 hours. Is this binge eating? I really wish I could just throw it up!:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi Tobe,

What you are describing is Over-eating rather than Binge-eating. In binge eating a person stuffs their mouths with as many carbohydrates, such as muffins, etc. in as fast a time as is humanly and inhumanly possible. The emphasis is on stuffing and on speed.

Allan:)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Sedsed,

Binge eating and throwing up is Bulimia Nervosa. There are people who binge eat without throwing up and there are those who binge and throw up, use laxatives, etc. Its extremely dangerous to health.

Do you have bulimia?

Allan

We'll be careful and only ask you online, then. :-)

We're not here to judge you, just to help you find out how to help yourself.

Nor does it matter precisely what label we use. It's that the actions are harming you. Purging causes damage to the esophagus, the tube to your stomach, because of the acid. It's not a lot different from the damage you do when cutting. What matters is that you're hurting yourself, and there have to be better ways to control your world.

I know; I read it. I tend to read most of what gets written here. :-)

The important question is, why? Can you identify how your life reached a point where these behaviors resumed?

I've met quite a few women here who have experienced abuse, and who harm themselves in various ways. They range in age from teenagers to my age.

I hope you can use this opportunity to come to grips with all of your experiences, so that you can move on to have a happier life.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Sedsed,

Typically, people with Bulimia feel so ashamed of themselves that they keep it a secret from everyone, even the MD. However, if you believe you have Bulimia, it would make sense to start getting help for it now. The health consequences of it are very serious. Also, purging is addictive. The more a person does it the more they want to do it.

Allan:(

And sed,

It's really great that you have the courage to tell us so much. I wanted to thank you for that. I know lots of girls will read this, over time, and maybe some of them will find the same courage, because of you.

There is no real shame in what happened to you, at least none that you should feel. You were just a child; what they did to you was not right.

I know, at the moment, that you don't necessarily believe me. I'm sure they said all sorts of things to try to keep you quiet. It's worth thinking about, though: so far, it's working. Tell someone, if you can. If you can't tell someone you know, keep telling people you don't know. It's good practice.

I hope you won't feel so guilty about your boyfriend. I would think anything concerning boys would have to be a bit mixed up, after what you've been through. If you can't tell him what happened, maybe you can at least say something like "I can't", so you'll both know you're trying to be his friend, at least. It seems to me as if you could use some friends, right now.

How old is your little brother? Does your mom at least know that your dad might hit your brother? It must be difficult to feel responsible for him, but remember, that's really your mother's job, not yours.

Archived