Mental Support Community

Can a Mind be Well?

I agree with BTP about mental vs. physical (chemical) wellness however I don't think that love and compassion can help always. Some peoples receptors are not so like an ATM where you just walk up and make a deposit, with some people it's more like driving by the bank and throwing your money (love) out the window in that direction. I am a bit obsessed with logic and explanation (neat little boxes) but not everything is logical and some things cannot be explained or fixed once broken.

I don't think in terms of disposability of human beings, there's room here for us all. But some people can't/won't be helped whether you call it physical or mental. I have immencely enjoyed this thread.

Thank you all:)

Frazzled,

My view is that if someone can’t or won’t be helped then other people haven’t found a way to help them. Maybe they never will. Maybe some people or person might help if the universe saw fit to have them come in contact with each other. But maybe that won’t happen, either.

It used to be that a diagnosis of “cancer” was a death sentence. Over the years lots of people have spent lots of time researching cancer and cancer treatments. Doctors and surgeons are trained to help people with cancer in ways that their families and loved ones can’t. Still, sometimes people die from the effects of the cancer. And sometimes the cancer just goes away, without treatment.

We are still in the dark ages when it comes to mental health, I think. But something we may be able to learn is that sometimes other people are beyond our personal ability to help. That doesn’t mean we don’t want to. That doesn’t mean we don’t care. We just don’t have the ability, for whatever reason that might be – temperament, social skill, our own unresolved baggage, etc.

At least that's what I think.

Archived