Mental Support Community

Please Read - Links to Resources

Mark

All,

The subtitle of this forum reads:

"Post here when you are in crisis RIGHT NOW, and need peer support as quickly as possible."
This message is intended to emphasize the peer support nature of this community, and to provide a focused place where frantic or otherwise urgent people can seek support for pressing needs.

It does not mean that this community can offer any sort of treatment or professional help.

By posting here you may increase the speed with which other peers respond to your posts, hopefully with supportive messages. However, if you require actual urgent care from trained professionals, this is the wrong place to be.

Call the Emergency Operator in a Crisis

If you are experiencing an actual urgent crisis, such as an imminent and acute suicidal crisis, please immediately contact your local emergency operator (by dialing 911 in the United States; other countries will vary) and plainly state the nature of your crisis so that the operator can coordinate an appropriate emergency response.

Depending on the nature of your crisis, it may also be appropriate to contact your physician or therapist, a friend or family member, etc. Please use your best and most conservative judgment when determining who to call, keeping in mind that from a safety point of view, it is better to tell others about your urgent crisis and to submit to evaluation by doctors and/or other qualified professionals at the first opportunity than it is to keep your concerns to yourself.

Other Potentially Useful Resources:

MentalHelp.net maintains a list of Telephone Numbers, including Suicide Hotlines which may be of use to you as you respond to your crisis.

You may also find it useful to read some of our Suicide articles,

or some of our Self-Help articles

Other community members who are aware of useful resources which specifically may help people to cope with and survive a crisis should feel free to post them in this thread.

Thank you for posting those Mark. There is some very good information in that collection. I especially appreciated the articles in regard to the type of treatment people can anticipate should they go to an emergency room in a crisis situation. It can be very reassuring to have some idea of what to expect.

Here is the link I had shared previously. It doesn't address some of those "bigger picture" issues but I have found it to be well-written and it speaks well to the immediacy of a current crisis:

If you are thinking about suicide... read this first

All,

The subtitle of this forum reads:

This message is intended to emphasize the peer support nature of this community, and to provide a focused place where frantic or otherwise urgent people can seek support for pressing needs.

It does not mean that this community can offer any sort of treatment or professional help.

By posting here you may increase the speed with which other peers respond to your posts, hopefully with supportive messages. However, if you require actual urgent care from trained professionals, this is the wrong place to be.

Call the Emergency Operator in a Crisis

If you are experiencing an actual urgent crisis, such as an imminent and acute suicidal crisis, please immediately contact your local emergency operator (by dialing 911 in the United States; other countries will vary) and plainly state the nature of your crisis so that the operator can coordinate an appropriate emergency response.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Based on my own experience, this is the worst way to get help. The 911 operators and the emergency room actually made my experience worse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on the nature of your crisis, it may also be appropriate to contact your physician or therapist, a friend or family member, etc. Please use your best and most conservative judgment when determining who to call, keeping in mind that from a safety point of view, it is better to tell others about your urgent crisis and to submit to evaluation by doctors and/or other qualified professionals at the first opportunity than it is to keep your concerns to yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I found that my primary care physician was the most help. He squeezed me into his schedule the same day and prescribed medication that was helpful short-term and long term. I was eventually able to see a psychiatrist, who just confirmed that they were the appropriate medications.

I would consult with a close friend or family member if I couldn't see a doctor right away. But based on my experiece, avoid hospitals and ERs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Potentially Useful Resources:

MentalHelp.net maintains a list of Telephone Numbers, including Suicide Hotlines which may be of use to you as you respond to your crisis.

You may also find it useful to read some of our Suicide articles,

or some of our Self-Help articles

Other community members who are aware of useful resources which specifically may help people to cope with and survive a crisis should feel free to post them in this thread.

Edited by Luna-

• 6 years later...