Mental Support Community

Just had to put dog down

Fedup

It hurts :-( Feels weird having a dog follow you around showing 100% loyalty and unconditional love. It would be hard to find another human who shows you these qualities. It's why I don't subscribe to the "it's only a dog brigade". Used to love the way she would randomly jump on the couch and snuggle up to me just to be close to me. Not sure if I'll get another dog. She feels irreplaceable at the moment but I guess in reality another dog would show the same love.

Fed,

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I was a teenager and home alone when the dog I grew up with died. There aren't any words ...

Personally, I think that no other dog will show you the "same love", but each one will show you its own version.

My condolences.

Thx for words. Yeah I think same love was the wrong word. Each dog will have it's own personality. She was a very loving dog to the point of even being clingy especially when I had guests round. It was nice to feel that love and respect though.

Fedup, I'm so sorry about your dog. :) I love animals! It's always hard to lose a companion, especially ones that accept and love us the way that animals do. Maybe it is too soon to think of getting another, but perhaps when the pain of this has lessened, you might consider this? Right now you are grieving this loss. I remember as a young girl my cats comforting me through times when I was sad. Your dog was fortunate to have an owner who treated her well, cared for her and loved her as you surely did. I'm sure she was comforted by being with you as well. Take care, Fedup.

Fedup, I'm so sorry about your dog. :) I love animals! It's always hard to lose a companion, especially ones that accept and love us the way that animals do. Maybe it is too soon to think of getting another, but perhaps when the pain of this has lessened, you might consider this? Right now you are grieving this loss. I remember as a young girl my cats comforting me through times when I was sad. Your dog was fortunate to have an owner who treated her well, cared for her and loved her as you surely did. I'm sure she was comforted by being with you as well. Take care, Fedup.

Thx.

Yeah she loved me. She couldn't even bear being in a different room to me and would follow me up stairs when I went to get a bath, use exercise bike etc. It feels very weird and upsetting without her presence.

I can understand that. I think that there is a certain comfort in familiarity. When it's missing, something feels empty. I also think that any time we lose someone (even a pet) we care about, it reminds us of the frailty of life. That can be a positive thing too, if it helps you to embrace life. If it is helpful, please feel free to talk more about her.

I put her picture up as my avatar. I'm still not used to her being gone. She was small so I always had to watch where she was because she was usually behind me whenever I went the kitchen etc. I keep looking forgetting she's not here any more. Used to sleep in my bed too and when I went toilet in middle of the night I was still careful on how I got back in to bed as not to stand on her. Other stuff like leaving my food plate on the floor and thinking oh god the dog might get it. Used to buy her a chocolate whenever I went shop and keep having to remind myself not to get it. She wasn't just a pet she was my best friend.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Fedup,

My heart goes out to you. I had my dog put down more than a year ago and I still grieve her absence and had the same reactions as you, waiting for her to appear in her familiar places. The picture of me is with her. Her name was Mingo and even though I have other dogs, she will always have a very special place in my heart and in my memories.

Allan

I know you said you had a quiet personality. Do you think this trait means we connect a lot more with dogs than we do with most humans? It's quite a heavy loss for me but I always knew it would be. The loss made me realise that I have experienced love just not on a sexual scale. Maybe one day I can re create that love with another human(family apart of course). I'm not sure if I can 100% trust a human or even if the love feels the same as it does with a dog but we'll see.

I am so sorry for you loss. I have had animals since a was a small child. I remember each and every one of them. Each one were individuals that I continue to hold dearly in my heart. I had a horse that my parents had given to me when I was 15, she lived 32 years she saw through the good and bad times, when she passed I didn't think I could ever share my life with another one. I gave it time, I now have 4 and each one has their on personality and I have 3 terriers now as well, one was a rescue. It is so wonderful to come home to someone who welcomes you with happy tail wags. You can't ever replace her, but someday a dog that needs some love will present itself.

She looks very cute, Fedup. What was her name?

The ability to connect with animals is a gift, I think. I always admire this in a person. I also believe it demonstrates a capacity to be a loving and nurturing person. It shows an appreciation and respect for living creatures. As to your question...It might seem easier to open our hearts to a pet, since they are always non-judgmental, accepting and they need us, but I don't think it is without risk. They are here but a brief time in our lives and yet we choose to love them, just as you did with your dog. I think that says something pretty powerful about you, Fedup. You have love to offer.

Take care.

I'm very sorry for your loss too. I also feel love very deeply for my pets. I had a situation very similar to shanrucus. I had a horse from the time I was 12 until she died when I was in my early thirties. I have never felt grief like that before or since and still will cry from time to time when I think of her and miss her. It took me 8 years to get myself to buy another horse. I am so glad I did. I then realized that he didn't replace my other horse but I can love him for him!! He's a comic with LOTS of personality and I can't imagine not having him around.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Fedup,

I know you said you had a quiet personality. Do you think this trait means we connect a lot more with dogs than we do with most humans?

You are asking a good question. Yes, I do believe some of us relate better to our pets than to other people. That may well be true of me when I stop to think about and when I am honest with myself.

Thank you for that question and helping me think about myself.

Allan:)

I know you said you had a quiet personality. Do you think this trait means we connect a lot more with dogs than we do with most humans?

I am very sorry for your loss, Fedup. Over the years, I have had several beloved pets who died. To me, each one is unique and holds a special place in my heart.

My current love is Emma, a Papillon, whose picture is my avatar. My niece calls her the "Velcro dog" because Emma even goes with me when I go to the bathroom :o

Anyway, about personality and dog love: my personality is by no means quiet :) but the unconditional love of animals touches my soul in a way that the more complex human affection cannot.

Hugs to you, Fedup.

Catmom

P.S. It is hard to tell what breed Chloe is from the small picture. Is she a Japanese Chin perhaps? CM

Hi Fedup,

I saw this thread about your loss. For at least a week I coud ot even read it . It was too painful even though I don't know you or your precious dog. I am so very sorry for your loss This is the one thing for me that would be worse then breaking up with a friend or someone moving away. I am one of those people that rather spend time with my dogs then anyone else.

My two are little fogs ,a yorkie and a shih tzu .They have big hearts and are the sweetest things in the world. Just the though about something happening to them devastates me. I do feel so badly for you. Hope you can find comfot in the great memories you have with her and all the happiness she brought to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for all for messages. Been 3 weeks now and while still not grieving her loss still some old habits dying hard. My cousin wanted me to buy one of her pugs and it was a really cute puppy but I just couldn't buy it despite playing and getting along well with it. We plan to purchase another Shih Tzu in January as the house does feel empty without a dog.

I just got a bit upset posting that, maybe the grieving hasn't quite stopped.

• 4 months later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi Fedup,

What a great dog. Wow, wonderful. Hey, you should change that handle because, now, what have you got to feel fed up about?:):)

Allan

Archived