Mental Support Community

Where is everyone?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Allan;

One Negative Thought; for now. My Retirement Money is Gone.

Postive. I may get another Job where I can build Toward another Retirement Fund.

It is more a simple observation.....without judgement.

How one feels, experiences any event, tends to rely on the judgement and beliefs one chooses to marry to the otherwise neutral stimuli.

S.B.R. Stimulous, Belief, Response or Reaction...(a simple 3 step process)

What do you want? Do you want a retirement fund? How or what could you do that contributes to achieving your 'wants?' Giving oneself useful questions fascilitates drawing useful answers to oneself. (that's been my experience, not that it matters to you.....what you think is more what usefully matters most to you.) hugs:)

Guest SomethingOrOther
Hi Allan;

One Negative Thought; for now. My Retirement Money is Gone.

Postive. I may get another Job where I can build Toward another Retirement Fund.

If I may use this for illustration, along the lines of what I was saying, this would probably look like this:

• Fact: The retirement money is gone.
  • Negative/automatic/distorted thought: .... ..... ..... .... .... ....
  • Challenge: Hang on, is that true?
  • Positive/edited/realistic thought: I may get another job where I can build toward another retirement fund.

The retirement money is still gone, though. The thought that was challenged is probably along the lines of: I'll never get money for my retirement anymore. Sometimes those thoughts are barely noticable. That's what makes things a little more difficult than it looks like.

If I may use this for illustration, along the lines of what I was saying, this would probably look like this:

• Fact: The retirement money is gone.
  • Negative/automatic/distorted thought: .... ..... ..... .... .... ....
  • Challenge: Hang on, is that true?
  • Positive/edited/realistic thought: I may get another job where I can build toward another retirement fund.

The retirement money is still gone, though. The thought that was challenged is probably along the lines of: I'll never get money for my retirement anymore. Sometimes those thoughts are barely noticable. That's what makes things a little more difficult than it looks like.

Ahh yes, you included the choice, which is labeled 'automatic'??? which, if we simply skip over that by 'assuming' everyone has to have a negative reaction to such a stimuli, it is blindly concluded at some level that we all are victimized, challanged, by such 'automatic' negative occurances.

In the study of S.B.R. one learns to appreciate that the stimuli has no charge (+ or - )

One is Free to come to recognize that it is all about Beliefs.

One is in charge of their beliefs. No-one, no occurance, has dominion over the quality of beliefs one continues to hold, from moment to moment. One is completely FREE, to continue to hold, and safely examine the resultant reaction or response. If one wants a different one, look at the belief behind it. Often beliefs are built on other beliefs, sort of defensively, until we tend to think of the reaction/result, as being 'automatic' but, when one cares to, and/or feels safe enough explore, their belief hording, one can experience freedom in whether one really wants to continue with such beliefs or, perhaps substitute or amend them.

"Difficult?" (if you find it useful to believe so....so be it :) )

"Liberating, and Fun" (might be another belief....whatevers :) )

What are your beliefs around 'making up' that things are 'difficult'? :)

similarly, one could explore ones beliefs around the notion/belief that 'whatevers' is 'challanging.' (personally, not that it matters to anyone else but myself, I choose to have a pleasurable sensation because I choose to believe/conceive 'challanges' as stimulating, and, that stimulation is what maintains aliveness...(example the corral reefs)...the calm side decays, dies, whereas the side pounded repeatedly by waves, is alive and vibrant, full of life. (Just a 'thought', coupled with a freely chosen belief, resulting in an emotional response or experience, of choice. hugs

• 2 weeks later...

Archived