Mental Support Community

Music therapy!

Gayle

No, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but that's OK. :( I went through a phase back in high school when I listened to a lot of heavy metal. In fact I think I kind of memorized one of Pantera's albums...Strength Beyond Strength, I think?

A few guy friends of mine have tried to get me interested in some heavy metal popular today, and it's just not happening. They don't seem as good, and besides, I'm not just not the heavy metal type anymore. Something in me has shifted.

Back in high school, heavy metal was really good for me, because I was really angry back then and it gave me a way to digest my anger, I think...sort of express it vicariously. I'm not saying that's true for everyone, but that's how it was for me, and I think it was therapeutic, in a way.

Not a video but I'm really liking this song :)

Bleed Red / Ronnie Dunn

Let's say were sorry, before it's too late, give forgiveness a chance

Turn the anger into water; let it slip through our hands

We all bleed red, we all taste rain, all fall down, Lose our way,

We all say words we regret, we all cry tears, we all bleed red

If we're fighting, we're both losing; we're just wasting our time

Because my scars, they are your scars and your world is mine

You and I, we all bleed red, we all taste rain, we all fall down, lose our way

We all say words, we regret, well cry tears, we all bleed red

Sometimes we're strong, sometimes we're weak, sometimes we're hurt and it cuts deep

We live this life, breath to breath, we're all the same; we all bleed red

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it so true? I have always thought that, that I am you and you are me.

I thought I would contribute and comment XD It's on youtube sorry Malign it's Elvis Presley's Hawaiian wedding song. :)

P.s. who is Ronnie Dunn we have the same last name??? Odd.

Mr. Google had this to say about Ronnie Dunn.

Why apologize to me about Elvis, seddy? Of course, he was before my time (by a few years) ... Oh, it was an apology about YouTube ... Well, some day I'll get online at home (still have to hook up the stupid cable ...), and then I'll be able to YouTube to my heart's content (which I somehow think won't take long.) :-)

@Ralph: you might enjoy this. It's a heavy metal band with an African Gray parrot as the lead vocalist. No joke!:

You can hear him screeching at random moments in the background. :(

Nice. The time signature changes didn't work for me, but several thousand points for originality. :D

I'm really too old to be into metal but it fits my mood most of the times and I actually feel better after listening to it, kind of a catharsis effect.

I have some catching up to do!

@Waiting: I have always LOVED that song by REM. A lot of their music seems very real.

@Smallstar: and “Bleed Red” also taps into universality in kind of the same way. There’s something therapeutic about being reminded that there’s people out there like you.

@sedsed: that Elvis song reminds me of selling televisions. The store played the same video over and over again and that song always accompanied the footage of Hawaii. I guess that’s pretty funny. :(

@malign: DEFINITELY acquire the means to access YouTube. :( How’s that joke go? I’ll youtube your myspace if you google my yahoo. haha

@IrmaJean: He has an amazingly resonant voice…

@pseudome: I’ve been addicted to the Killers for a while, especially that song. Now that I’m studying counseling, I realizing it could be describing the feeling of being a client…all the powerful transference, guilt and the confessional nature of the client-counselor relationship, how it can be extremely emotionally taxing on a counselor and how the person being focused on is so very needy. …Or maybe I just need to get my nose out of my books.

And I’m totally adding Foster the People to my library!

@pseudome, again: It seems like you would be qualified to know—which Tool song actually contained the Fibonacci sequence?

@IrmaJean: I don’t think I’ve ever really listened closely to “Bride Over Troubled Water” before. The lyrics describe a beautifully close relationship. It could be spiritual, romantic, or clinical.

@Flander: That was sweet. I really liked Anita’s voice... And yeah, they don’t show that kind of thing on MTV much anymore. Hee. I like the video of the second one a lot. It’s simple, but effective…