Mental Support Community

Self Harm - How does it help ?

lagrima

I would also like to take this opportunity to suggest that there are reasonable limits to our information sharing. Asking about specifics of harming can be very triggering to those who do it.

I understand curiosity; I'm curious about how people react to things, too. The problem is that my curiosity is not as important as their reaction: if harming causes them (and is the result of) pain, asking about it likely causes them more pain.

I hope all involved will take thought to those who read our site, many of whom, particularly the silent ones, may still be caught up in their harming and easily triggered.

I know that people tend to "hear" anything I say as more "scolding" than I intend ... but if I had needed people to do anything about what was already there, I would have told them, or made the changes myself.

I don't want people floating around afraid to speak. It would kinda make the whole place useless. We just have to stay within some pretty wide boundaries, and that's all I was saying.

didnt think you were scolding - does that mean telling off ???? for a minute. and yes I know you would of :)

I edited my words for personal reasons, not because of anything else - too much personal info about the inside me - which is niether helpful to myself nor anyone else.

take care

I would also like to take this opportunity to suggest that there are reasonable limits to our information sharing. Asking about specifics of harming can be very triggering to those who do it.

I understand curiosity; I'm curious about how people react to things, too. The problem is that my curiosity is not as important as their reaction: if harming causes them (and is the result of) pain, asking about it likely causes them more pain.

I hope all involved will take thought to those who read our site, many of whom, particularly the silent ones, may still be caught up in their harming and easily triggered.

I'd like to second this...

Archived