Mental Support Community

Does it get better???

Livingdisaster

Thats what my therapist says, she keeps telling me this over and over again. Like if she wants me to memorize the same line. I've been a cutter for a couple of years now but I want to address this question to those who have had time with these struggles or any struggles.......DOES it get better?

Yes it does. But self harm is a way of coping. For some people they need to work on not turning to it when things become overwhelming or stressful. This is a lot like a person who has a drinking problem or any other addictive behavior. The behavior needs to be replaced with healthier ways of coping.

Sometimes a person can stop Self Harm only to pick up on anther harmful behavior.

"does it get better?" KNowing what triggers you can help too. Sometimes Self harming can go away on it's own only to come back yrs later. I still think that self harm is not a natural response in dealing with oneself. I think most people would not think it helped, and to hurt oneself causing harm goes against what your brain is telling u.

Guest ASchwartz

I want to suggest the idea that self harm comes under the same heading as eating disorders, go along with ed, and can be treated at eating disorder centers. People do recover from this and I have known some of them.

Allan

I want to suggest the idea that self harm comes under the same heading as eating disorders, go along with ed, and can be treated at eating disorder centers. People do recover from this and I have known some of them.

Allan

It is interesting tha tso many people who have EDs also have self harmed . I also know quite a few women who have done this. Including me. it would either be about losing weight or self injury. Since age 16. I would "trade" one thing for the other. Also my weight would fluctuate greatly . When I was too thin SI was not a problem, then I went the other way getting very heavy, and self injury was a issue. I am happier when i am fat though ,more then the ED times.

Both are really destructive. Both are very hard to control. I never made the connection . Eds and S/H. but their is obviously one.

For me , i would take it to the extreme. Get way too thin , thinner then needed to be without realising it. Then when I flipped over to being heavy , became more fat, and more determined to self harm as bad as I could get.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi mscat,

How are you. It feels to me like it's been a while. Are you okay? I miss your presence when I don't hear from you.

Allan

Hi mscat,

How are you. It feels to me like it's been a while. Are you okay? I miss your presence when I don't hear from you.

Allan

Hi Allen,

Thanks for asking.. I am actually here everyday.. But don't always respond. my son is now graduated from High School and will be going to a program for young adults in August. Right now he has been home all day so things have slowed down . When he is at home more I try harder to hold myself together because I have to . It is also easier for me not to always be alone. He is my focus at home . Other then that things go back and forth. I do better when we stay at home all the time then have to go and be out. It is a struggle to leave the home. but I will do it for the sake of my son.

I still have my 2 little dogs though, and they are awesome. It has made life so much more pleasurable. My yorkie has taken a special liking towards my son now that he has been home.

I hope tha tyou are having a great summer being with your family. :)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi,

Things are going good with being with the family and playing with my 2 year old grandson who is a lot of fun.

It seems to me that getting outside is an important goal for you to work towards. Being in the house all the time is depression. All of us need the fresh air, the sun rays and to hear the birds.

What is it like where you live? Are the parks, greenary, open spaces, etc?

Allan

I have a hard time being around people... so I stay inside my place. I feel better and calmer. But, I do become depressed as well. Sometimes it takes everything out of me just to shower. Then I resent stepping foot outside or feel forced to have to keep appointments or refill medications. It is a ongoing battle.

I live in a small town, their is not much happening here. Their is a city park , but I don't like going there. Their is a lot of open spaces but it is fields. In the summer it is not a good idea to go in them because of the snakes .

I do end up having to go out every 4 days or so . That is a struggle. LIke today I have an appointment. So I have to get ready and everything. I usually try and get everything done if I know i have to go out. That way I can stay inside my home longer. I will try and have my brother do the grocery shopping.

Archived