Mental Support Community

ADHD Treatment NON-Medication?

Cali1luv

Hey all.. :)

I THINK I may have ADHD. I don't have the "hyper" part ... but I HAVE A LOT of the other symptoms and I also have depression.:D

I DONT want to take meds. I'm in therapy right now and its helping. I'm going to start school soon and I wanted to get craken on a routine!:D

I want to know if there is a Alternative treatement for ADHD? Homeopathy(sp)? Herbs? Vitamins?

I start school this month.

Hi,

It is good that you are working on the depression.

The best thing I have found is ADHD coaching. In my experience coaching has helped me learn how to deal with a world that is set up for linear, systematic thinkers with a brain that is more optimized for wholistic viewing and no concern for details. There are places that also do training with biofeedback to help improve attention and working memory. Mindfulness meditation, which is essentially practicing concentration by holding the attention on one focus for extended periods of time, has helped me as well.

The drawback to meditation that I have found is that you have to be consistent with the practice over long periods of time to get noticeable improvement, and consistency in daily practice is something that is hard to do when you have concentration problems, giving rise to a chicken-egg problem.

AFAIK there is no evidence that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo. However the advantage of a placebo effect is less chance for side effects. If one gets relief from a placebo, then why not use it?

Herbs: I have personally used Gingko Biloba and find it helps with memory. The evidence for this herb come from studies on Alzheimer's patients and some studies have found benefits while others found it no better than placebo. IMO it's worth a try.

Vitamins: Not sure about this one, but I've found that taking a B-supplement and a multivitamin helps me shake off stress, which leaves more energy for concentration. When I was put on meds for depression the first thing my doc did was suggest a blood test to see about thyroid levels and vitamin deficiency. If you have had this, then you know what vitamins you need to supplement. If you haven't, it's relatively inexpensive to get one and it helps to know for sure.

Best of luck with school.

Hi. Thanks for the info.. I bought some drops called: Gaia Herbs Mental Alertness.. it supports clarity, focus and memory..:)

so we shall see..

Who can give me ADHD coaching?:confused: A Dr.?:confused:

Hi,

It is good that you are working on the depression.

The best thing I have found is ADHD coaching. In my experience coaching has helped me learn how to deal with a world that is set up for linear, systematic thinkers with a brain that is more optimized for wholistic viewing and no concern for details. There are places that also do training with biofeedback to help improve attention and working memory. Mindfulness meditation, which is essentially practicing concentration by holding the attention on one focus for extended periods of time, has helped me as well.

The drawback to meditation that I have found is that you have to be consistent with the practice over long periods of time to get noticeable improvement, and consistency in daily practice is something that is hard to do when you have concentration problems, giving rise to a chicken-egg problem.

AFAIK there is no evidence that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo. However the advantage of a placebo effect is less chance for side effects. If one gets relief from a placebo, then why not use it?

Herbs: I have personally used Gingko Biloba and find it helps with memory. The evidence for this herb come from studies on Alzheimer's patients and some studies have found benefits while others found it no better than placebo. IMO it's worth a try.

Vitamins: Not sure about this one, but I've found that taking a B-supplement and a multivitamin helps me shake off stress, which leaves more energy for concentration. When I was put on meds for depression the first thing my doc did was suggest a blood test to see about thyroid levels and vitamin deficiency. If you have had this, then you know what vitamins you need to supplement. If you haven't, it's relatively inexpensive to get one and it helps to know for sure.

Best of luck with school.

A coach is more like a personal trainer than a doctor. That said my coach is also licensed to practice psychotherapy but has a master degree.

I found my coach through this website: http://www.adhdcoaches.org/find-a-coach/

I am in no way affiliated with this site, so I hope it is not spamming to provide the link that I used before. I found it by Googling "ADHD coaching" and it comes up near the top of search results.

I'd be interested to know if the herbal supplement helps. Gingko and Rosemary seem to be the primary ingredients which are generally safe. From a quick search it looks like Rosemary has a long tradition of use in memory enhancement, but I wasn't able to find much in the way of cited studies. I think there is much to be said for traditional use when it is sustained for a long time. Herbs that have been in use for specific medicinal purposes for thousands of years tend to be proven effective by the scientific method as well.

Guest ASchwartz

Ralph,

There are herbal medicines that work, or, there is one that works. Trouble is I don't know the name. Perhaps ask in one of the stores that specialize in herbal meds?

Allan

Archived