Mental Support Community

Is marihuana even a drugg?

Well the last sesssions with my therapist was about leaving druggs(again). i agreed to leave Most of them like cocain, but i told her i was leaving marihuana for weekends since its not strong and u cant die for overdose. Besides it helps me relax, after that in the NeXT session she ask abouit it i told her i was smoking betwen 4-6 a day and she got mad. She says lots of marihuana can depresse me i say it has medical propertys.

So at the end is it even a drugg? Or simple a medical herb.

So yea i whant to leave all druggs behind but give me a break i have to keep someting.

She dint like the idea of having plants either shes not going to be happy next session.

Okay, Marijuana.... is it a drug? Let's see, it's illegal, and it impairs your abilities, so yes, I believe that it is a drug. Sure, there are some medical uses for Marijuana, but I don't believe escaping reality is one of the things it's prescribed for.

If you feel the need to "atleast hang on to something" , it seems you're trying to justify drug use, which will hinder your ability to leave drugs behind and live a sober life. Maybe you should set out in search of something that makes you feel better on a non drug level. Meditation, religion, a new hobby, anything that doesn't involve getting messed up.

I can see why your doc will be disappointed, epp. Geez, your really gonna get yourself in a mess with plants. You need to be honest with your doc and really get serious about getting clean. You can't go halfway and expect success.

I hope that someone, I can see I haven't helped, but I hope someone will come into your life and help you get your life back without the use of drugs. I'm sad for you, I know you have the ability to do it, but I feel like your expecting a change over night with the least amount of effort possible. If you can take care of your family as you have, that tells me that you can think straight, and that you can beat this. You just have to want to beat it. I'm sorry I can't be of help. :(Many prayers. I'll be here if you want to talk.

A medical herb is a drug, so your question is kind of like asking whether 4 is 2+2 or 1+3. Cocaine comes from the coca plant. Opium and its derivatives (morphine, heroin, etc) come from poppies.

True, you cannot die from overdose on Marijuana (correct spelling) and it is found to be less addictive than most drugs. However this is on aggregate and doesn't consider individuals. For some people it is the most addictive thing out there. I have friends who never had a problem with pills or drinking, but MJ took over their lives.

My guess based on my own experience is that pot magnifies your psychological state. So if you are happy, it will make you more happy. If you have any type of mental problems though, it will make those problems worse. Again, this is based on my own experience.

The question I have is what difference does it make if you call it a drug or not? It has effects on your emotional and mental functioning regardless of what you call it. Those effects have certain benefits if you enjoy them, but have costs as well. On the other side choosing not to take MJ has a different set of benefits and costs.

For example on the using side we have risk of getting in trouble with the authorities as a cost, but being able to relax as a benefit. Notice that the cost is much longer in duration than the benefit. With not using, you would have to learn how to relax without weed as a cost, but as a benefit you'd spend less money on pot. Even though you are growing your own, you still have to buy fertilizer, grow lights and so on.

You can call it a drug or not, but that makes no difference to its costs and benefits. Nobody gets a free pass just because it's less toxic than legal drugs such as alcohol or nicotine. If you take it and don't do what you need to do or do things you shouldn't do, then you must also accept the consequences.

PS - what is your native language?

Edited by Ralph

I can see ur point of view, thanks both for ur comments i apreciate them.

Im going to try to leave MJ to i havent smoked in some days but i already whant some i sold the last i had, that made me feel like a dealer. And ill destroy the small plants i wont sell them. I still got some acid i think thats the translation im not sure i have it my mobilephone box hidden from intruders. I dont know why i keept that to, well maybe i know. ill trow them to.

The last time i decide to quite everything it was easy i just said it and did it. but these time i said it once and did not work, nor 2cond or 3third, maybe these time i will i have other things in my mind to take care of.

Besides i dont think its good to mix all that with my current medication.

PS - Spanish

Edited by eppursimuove
english what else

Creo que usted escribe en Inglés mejor que yo podria escribir en Español. Quisiera aprender mas lenguas pero no hay muchas oportunidades practicar aqui en EE UU. Pero entiendo Spanglish muy bien. :cool: Ademas eso forum es en Inglés entonces los mods might get mad si unas personas charlar in Español.

About the drugs you've been able to quit before but ran into problems this time around. In your first post you said, "I want to leave all drugs behind but give me a break i have to keep something."

Do you really have to keep some drug? What would happen if you didn't? The answers to these questions could help identify why it is harder to leave them this time around.

I cant even get drunk coz i cant drink. What happends i have to deal with reality, i supose ill just have to deal whit it.

Your spanish is quite good i learned most of my english in Canada, ive also been in USA and some parts of europe. Like a 5 year trip, i really enjoy traveling.

One of the best parts was going to Disney World :D.

I loved those days.

Ps: me olvidaba gracias por tus respuestas Ralph. Y donde aprendes tu spanglish?

Edited by eppursimuove
English what else

De nada eppursimuove. Yo estudiaba Español cuando yo era joven y a veces practico con mis amigos.

Usually if you are making any kind of a lifestyle change it will be very uncomfortable at first. Many people give up when this occurs. That's why I think it makes sense to count the costs/benefits first. If you know what your long term goal is, you will be prepared to go through the difficulty in the first year or so. Alternatively if you are not prepared then you at least are making a conscious decision to avoid that pain and accept the consequences of not dealing directly with reality. Either way it's a choice. For example you could drink, but I gather you have decided the consequences aren't worth it.

Now you need to make a similar decision about MJ. As far as harm reduction goes, it's really one of the least problematic drugs out there, but it's terrible for some people. If you're on psychiatric meds it's probably best to discuss with your psychiatrist. There may be interactions or he may not wish you to quit too abruptly. Hopefully the psychiatrist would be up to date on anything that is known about whether MJ interacts with your meds.

• 1 month later...
Guest cokeaine

Marijuana, in my view, is almost like a placebo. It distracts your mind until your high is over but then you wake up and everything is still the same, you still have the same problems as you did before. I've known lots of people who used and still use Marijuana in order to try to drown out their problems. It never works.

I grew out of it. It always 'enhanced' my mind but it was just a temporary buzz. Marijuana also gave me a sense of losing control, in fact some times I'd even think that someone was controlling my mind and body. I was so high and paranoid that I believed that I was watching myself live another person's life. It was freaky and I'd rather not do that again.

I believe it should stay illegal, I'd rather not work or be in the same classroom with people who are constantly high. I've seen what that does and after a while it makes them brain dead, burnt out and unable to do anything other than just sitting there. From my experience, wherever Marijuana follows, crime and bad people tend to follow with it. It is not a great and harmless thing that some pot advocates try to make it out to be.

It's not the legality that matters; it's that it alters your mind, your emotional state.

Alcohol is legal in most places, but it's still a drug, and it should still be avoided by those who have mental health issues.

Why? Because these substances interfere with how our brains work. In some cases, they cause harm directly. Alcohol, for instance, is a depressant, despite the euphoric feeling of reduced inhibition. On the other hand, even if they functioned as mood elevators, I would still suggest not using them. The reason is that then they become a crutch, a replacement for better coping skills. To my mind, that's what addiction really is: when we replace what we really need to do because it's difficult, with an easier chemical substitute that leaves us just as helpless as we were before. That means that we perpetuate our need for the chemical instead of growing.

So, I would echo Ralph's question: what is this chemical replacing, for you?

Guest cokeaine

To me, yes it does. I have seen friends of mine across from jail bars too many times, all because of weed. I have seen it destroy their family life, as well as it destroy their jobs and get them in trouble with the police.

To me, the whole thing is just a bad experience. I injured my leg running from the cops once when my friend asked me to hold something for him. By the time they spotted us it was too late to ditch it or else he'd see the weed, so I had to bolt. I was wearing green pants and jacket so ran into the woods and I lay down and lined myself up behind the shrubs and he ran right past me.

It has brought tragedy upon many people's lives. Alcohol, of course, is a whole problem in itself.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to add some comments to Shadow Self's posts:

- It's good to provide info, it's fine to post links to videos. But, Shadow Self, why do you let yourself to get so angry and full of animosity and then express your contempt here? (Moreover you, who claim not to be influenced by "feelings" as "we" are ;)...) Those people who posted those "stupidities" here are just (possibly) wrong in this case and maybe some of them didn't reflect on their ideas enough before posting, but that doesn't make them meriting contempt, "name-calling", ... Debating or sharing information or points of view is not supposed to include such harsh attitudes and prejudices (- I call this prejudice because from one wrong opinion/though, you seem making conclusions about the person who posted it - that they are stupid, ... - but how can you know? You only know that they don't have the same info as you and that they had some reasons for writing about their point of view without finding "proper arguments", ...), even more on a forum like this, that should be a safe place for vulnerable people in distress, not a place where they'll be despised and name-called.

- I think it's hardly deniable that most people shouldn't use drugs of abuse, because they are destroyed by them and often become even criminals (-to get money for the drugs). That kind of impacts is not what you praise when you praise drugs, I know. But those positive impacts of drugs you describe are accessible only to a very small minority, I imagine (and how can you know if not only temporarily, if it won't finally destroy most of them/you if they/you don't stop??). The others use them just to escape their bad lives and then are totally destroyed by them. And in your views, you totally dismiss this majority. You say "they don't show successful people using drugs doesn't mean only junkies do it" - so I imagine you do it to counteract those who show "the other part" - you focus on the positive side. But imagine that those you call "junkies" read your posts - what would they take from them?? Those who didn't yet start may be easily encouraged to do so and they (or at least most of them) will very probably end badly. And those who already started may be discouraged from stopping - believing even more that they can handle it and enjoy the positives without the negatives - but how can you know that they are able to, that they won't just get seriously damaged as the majority of (if not all) drug addicts? That's why I consider posting such thoughts dangerous and even inappropriate. However; as a moderator, I could have deleted them and I've chosen not to. (Maybe someone else will (?).) But I'm concerned...

Someone who presents themselves with such ego is obviously insecure and disturbed. After reading this all I could think was IGNORANT. For someone who claims to know so much about the brain he sure seems confused about thinking he can control how drugs affect his brain.

And then I love how randomly he just feels the need to insult Christians. Where did that come from? I feel sorry for this person, obviously in need of help but too blind to see it.

Actually, I think the basic problem is the adversarial tone this thread took on rather suddenly. At most, this is meant to be an exchange of opinions. We've all got our biases. Name-calling, though, is of no value whatsoever, and is usually a sign that someone else has hit a cherished assumption somewhere.

The problem is that turn-about isn't fair play; it's repeating the problem.

This place is about supporting others, not defending ourselves or proving our points. Sometimes it drifts away from its ideal, but then it's my job to try to bring it back.

• 7 years later...

Marijuana certainly is a drug but one whose pros outweigh its cons. You really don't have to leave marijuana since it's not like the other drugs that you mentioned; marijuana actually works like a medication to boost mental health; it helps to treat depression, anxiety, PTSD as well as ADHD. Here's some more research into marijuana that talks about its medical benefits.  https://mdberry.com/medical-marijuana-effectiveness-research/

@MelaniaTaylor  I respectfully disagree. The American Lung Association asserts that marijuana has 4 times the tar of cigarettes and is very dangerous to the cardio-pulmonary system.  

Like alcohol, marijuana affects different people differently. Some people can indulge rather liberally and still function and maintain their career, health, and relationships. For others it’s devastating. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.