Mental Support Community

Religious Services and Depression

Guest ASchwartz

Guest ASchwartz

I came across some recent studies that show that those who regularly attend religious services are less depressed and anxious as compared to those who do not. These studies did not address the reasons for this, only that there is a positive correlation. Also, religious affiliation made no difference: Catholic, Christian, Lutheran, Muslim and etc. Please excuse me if I overlooked the many additional religions. In fact, attending services a minimum once a week helped and more frequent attendance helped even more.

What are your thoughts, opinions, observations, about this regardless of how you feel about religion?

Allan

It depends on the dynamics of the faith.

Some faiths have a focus on helping others, and the positive although sometimes naive outlook can help one see the good things in life.

Though on a darker side it can blind one to life's problems and suffering, and make the group or person insular and sheltered, oblivious to the outside world. After a while group evolution may take place and the group can soon turn into something it wasn't before; oppressive and preachy, talking about the 'good old days' that never existed.

Though perhaps I am too cynical. Looking at it in terms of the big picture, faith can give one purpose or direction in life.

The problem I usually see in religion is that people see it as just religion. To me, my 'faith', is more than a faith. It is a philosophy and way of life. Every single "religious" belief is hardwired in an inexplicitly powerful bond that extends into all ways of life. It is, in a way, very similar to how the Native American tribes saw spirituality and religion. It is a way of life. The spiritual and religious aspects of it is just ONE part of it, just an appendage. It permeates my entire being, for since the day I was born I followed the Left Hand Path, yet I did not know it for so long. It was not until I was able to free myself of the bondage of beliefs unnatural to me that I could truly be happy.

And I've been happier ever sense.

Pseudome,

the pit I think you are falling into is looking at religion as simply a set of metaphysical beliefs with a moral code attached to it.

Religion, true religion, is much more than that. It is an entire way of thinking and viewing the world. It's more accurately philosophical groundwork for one's lifestyle.

In the purest form secular atheism is a 'religion'. Yes, it only recognizes objective truth, but the catch is that it's philosophical basis is humanism with a heavy focus on scientific inquiry and a search for objective truth.

In the common usage atheism is not a "religion", but it does constitute a set of attitudes, views, and skeptic/objective beliefs that reflect and influence how you live and go about your day.

In that form and definition, any person's set of beliefs is a religion. Sure, many religions GIVE someone direction and purpose, but from what I know of atheism, you MAKE your own direction and purpose, which is a very noble, yet still spiritual, thing.

As such it is commonly known that people need direction and purpose in their life. Something that reinforces that purpose and direction, no matter what is, is a healthy thing for the individual. There isn't any conjecture to it; it's pretty much established that humans need direction and purpose. Ever since we started coming out on top and had little trouble suriving, we lost our purpose. Now it's easy to survive, which was our main purpose, so now the first world needs a new purpose. For some, this is turning to metaphysical faiths, for others, it is some kind of goal.

Going to church reinforces the person's goals in life, and this in turn makes them healthier. It's no more a case of corolation =/= causation than a person who socializes more is generally more healthy. Also as of note people socialize at church, so that could contribute to, but it still stants that the reinforcing of one's goals and foundation (i recall the christian metaphor of Christ being their rock along a beach, where others built their houses on sand, the Christian builds theirs on a rock) in life will generally make one more stable.

i Didnt see that last post, but I will say that wasnt ripping on you, a lot of people fall into the line of thinking that a religion is just some metaphysical beliefs with a moral code attached, even religious people. and i only meant that atheism could be a part of a religion in my definition. in no way would atheism alone ever pass as a religion according to the dictionary definition.

I was just trying to explain spirituality. anyway, ill take this to PM so this will not derail the topic further

Guest ASchwartz

Religion is one of those "hot ticket items" because it arouses passions both for and against it. Keep in mind that the studies offer only surveys and draw no conclusions about the results. In other words, there is no hidden agenda having to do with advocating faith. So, what are the possible variable that might account for the positive correlation between attendance and depression? Here are some ideas:

1. Religion relieves some of the fears about death because of the entire concept of an after-life.

2. There is a social connection with attending services: people go to services together or feel a kinship to fellow worshippers or make new friends in mosques, churches and synagogues. In other words, its the social aspect of the whole thing that relieves loneliness and depression. Perhaps the belief in God helps people feel more assured in a world of conflict and chaos.

Why are some of you pro or anti religion?

What do you think?

Allan

I have always personally found hope in unity, sharing with others...taking a step back from everything else in life and being as one in just one place perhaps. It is the reason why I love sitting in a crowd of fans who are all on the same side at a sporting event. Strange analogy, huh? I like the sense of "oneness" with others and feelings of togetherness. Unity. Hope. Being together. Maybe there is some of that here for others too, can't say. I am not a religious person, though...

I came across some recent studies that show that those who regularly attend religious services are less depressed and anxious as compared to those who do not.

What are your thoughts, opinions, observations, about this regardless of how you feel about religion?

I think there is a strong selection effect going on here, at least within Christianity. Those who have bona fide mood disorders simply fall away as the church is unequipped to meet the needs of those afflicted.

Those attending church are probably happier because mental issues are inimical to spiritual progress in the standard Protestant mold. I think this is a shame because most likely any of the great spiritual authors or mystics would be diagnosed as some form of bipolar or schizophrenic today. St. John of the Cross is practically a textbook example of severe depression. That is, the spiritual greats of today are receiving no guidance simply because the church has become cynical and concerned more with fund raising than deep spiritual issues.

1. Religion relieves some of the fears about death because of the entire concept of an after-life.

In my case quite the opposite occurred. The concept of Hell made me more afraid of the after life than the idea of not existing. As far as I can tell I never existed before I was born and that wasn't painful to me. Simply ceasing to be would be no more painful. Eternal torment in Hell or eternal boredom in Heaven with all the people who didn't do bad stuff either way is not comforting at all.

2. There is a social connection with attending services: people go to services together or feel a kinship to fellow worshippers or make new friends in mosques, churches and synagogues. In other words, its the social aspect of the whole thing that relieves loneliness and depression. Perhaps the belief in God helps people feel more assured in a world of conflict and chaos.

Granted, the social connections gained through participation in religious activities with those who have a common value system and world view can be very uplifting. Ironically, more than any other human activity, religion seems to cause much of the conflict and chaos that makes the world such a scary place that only faith will see us through.

In other words, there is no hidden agenda having to do with advocating faith.

I'm not sure how this line fits in there, it seems kind of out of place.

Though I will say with no shame that this is simply not true if by "advocating" faith you mean proselytizing, then I will simply disagree without getting into it. But if you mean advocating in a more general "religion is good" then I will only say that that is a vast simplification of religion.

I can't find where it says it in LaVey's Satanic Bible, but he somewhere charged that sin was twisted into something we all had to commit to survive, and in turn we all needed to go to church to be forgiven. And then our donations and tithes (in medieval times baptismal fees was one such blatant one where Satanists where falsely accused of killing unbaptized babies for rituals) turned religion into a machine for profit. Indeed, what caused the Protestant branches to be born was Martin Luther being disgusted by people paying cash or buying indulgences to the church to be forgiven. He spoke out, and sparked a revolution.

Religion can easily be used as a tool for hate and exploitation as it can be a source of love, inspiration and peace. The more organized a religion is and the it is centered on a dogma that is considered infallible the more easily this is done. Because by controlling the Dogma you can control the masses.

Many Satanists realize this, and so practice alone and do not join an organization; why would we need to have someone tell us what to believe when we can think for ourselves? Satan encourages us to think for ourselves. Sure, joining an organization can be great to meet other Satanists, but even the Church of Satan says that you do not need to be part of ANY organization to be a Satanist. And, not surprisingly, a lot of Satanists are not part of an organization.

In my case quite the opposite occurred. The concept of Hell made me more afraid of the after life than the idea of not existing. As far as I can tell I never existed before I was born and that wasn't painful to me. Simply ceasing to be would be no more painful. Eternal torment in Hell or eternal boredom in Heaven with all the people who didn't do bad stuff either way is not comforting at all.

Same as me. Today I read this section out of LaVey's Satanic Bible:

The Satanic Bible

If you do not believe in what your religion teaches, why continue to support a belief which is contradictory with your feelings? You would never vote for a person or issue you did not believe in, so why cast your ecclesiastical vote for a religion which is not consistent with your convictions?

When I looked at it, my answer was that I feared Hell. I was, for a long time, wondering if I "loved" Yahweh enough to be "saved". Eventually though I became disenchanted and broke free from my bondage. I do not believe in Hell. And if the Bible is right, I'm going there no matter what; a few weeks ago I Renounced the Trinity (read Matthew 12:31-32 and Mark 3:28-29 to see what I mean) to erase the last of my emotional baggage and fear, and ever since I can't think of once where I thought "what if the Bible is right and I'm worshiping evil?" (though it was more a fear of going to Heaven after I became a Satanist, not believing in Hell meant that the rite effectively freed me from bondage to Yahweh in the afterlife)

So I know from personal experience what that feeling is like Ralph. For you you will eventually have to find a place in the deepest regions of your mind where you have to face the fear head on, and figure it out. Did you already address these fears?

I can't say how or what it will be like for you if you ever do (have you faced it already?) but it will change you or your outlook in at least some way. The fear of Hell isn't too different from other fears, it just adds some mystical atmosphere to it.

Granted, the social connections gained through participation in religious activities with those who have a common value system and world view can be very uplifting. Ironically, more than any other human activity, religion seems to cause much of the conflict and chaos that makes the world such a scary place that only faith will see us through.

I would say that this is because people abuse faith and religion and mold it to their political/social vision. Christianity, as taught by Jesus is a great insight, but not perfect or divine in any way. A wise teacher? Yes. In his time love and forgiveness was a great smack to the world. Jesus was more than anything a radical figure, the ultimate liberal who threw away the Laws in Leviticus in his new, improved version.

NOTE: I am not a LaVeyan or a member of the Church of Satan, but like many Satanists I do take some influences and inspiration from the Satanic Bible. But in no way is it law to me, I do not accept it as dogma, but merely an insightful tool by a wise man. I am more of a Pantheistic Satanist than anything else.

Rege Satana.

Archived