Mental Support Community

how to bounce back?

emotional

long story short...i just finished having a manic episode. i have a tendency to cycle very high, even on my medication. during my recent mania, i texted my past therapist. for the past ten months, he has always been tolerent and understanding of me because i had tansference issues with him. i stopped seeing him but he was open to my texting him. so, while i was cycling, i texted him some pretty awful things. i knew i should not have texted him, but in my state of mind it was something i felt like had to do. then, my current therapist tells me that my previous therapist is fed up and is going to press charges against me if i contact him again. i messed up, but how do i make it things right? is there anything i can do to repair my "relationship" with my past therapist?

Hello, emotional. It strikes me as odd that your former therapist would relay this information to your current therapist. I'm sorry this is upsetting for you. :P And this on top of everything else you've been dealing with emotionally... I don't have a clear cut answer to your question. Maybe it is best to leave it alone and talk through this with your current therapist? Focusing on yourself seems the healthiest way to go from my perspective. Don't know if this helps or not. Have you brought up your concerns with your new therapist?

Take care.

hmmm, curious.. I know that perhaps you signed a release from former therapist to present one, but did it state they could communicate with each other about you..I mean really you were no longer his patient..and I feel is just as much at fault for inviting you to continue to text back and forth. Just my thought about this..thinking that former therapist knew of your transference issues and then seemed to encourage contact anyway. So does the blame really all lie on you??????

@ IrmaJean...thanks for the kind advice. I agree with you, I think I should work through this with my current therapist and avoid the possibility of going to jail.

@ shanrucas...yes, I did sign a release form with my current therapist. I thought it was a good idea for her to get the scoop from my previous therapist but they seem to talk a lot about me. as far as my previous therapist encouraging contact with me, it did make things unclear for me. he wasn't willing to see me in his office, but he was willing to talk with me via text. texting him, during my episode, wasn't out of the norm. I just feel like I did something wrong.

@ IrmaJean...thanks for the kind advice. I agree with you, I think I should work through this with my current therapist and avoid the possibility of going to jail.

Going to jail? For texting your ex therapist... ? In this case I should have been locked up long time ago. If he is a professional therapist he should know that you were going through a manic episode. I would not worry too much about it. Plus I think MH professionals are used to things like that.

Take care.

I wouldn't worry to much, don't think you are at risk of going to jail at all. It doesn't sound to me that you have done nothing wrong to me..like I said sounds as if he encouraged it on his end.

What I left out about release is that is common practice to sign release of medical records from past doctor to a new doctor. But I don't know that gives rights to talk about you between them if one is no longer your doctor..perhaps maybe if you were still seeing both, well then yes maybe..thats what I meant..did is specify in release that that doc that you are no longer a patient of can continue to discuss your privaledge conversations with current one.

Anyway..you did nothing wrong.. suggest you just focus on building relationship with current therapist.

Archived