Mental Support Community

Successful and Schizophrenic (an article and a video)

LaLa

• 2 weeks later...

Here you can also hear her excellent talk:

http://www.ted.com/t...al_illness.html

Quotes by Elyn Saks

“Some people still hold [the] view that restraints help psychiatric patients feel safe. I've never met a psychiatric patient who agreed.”

“Portray [people with mental illness] sympathetically, and portray them in all the richness and depth of their experience as people, and not as diagnoses.”

“Please hear this: There are not ‘schizophrenics,’ there are people with schizophrenia.”

“Occupying my mind with complex problems has been my best and most powerful and most reliable defense against my mental illness.”

“One of the reasons the doctors gave for hospitalizing me against my will was that I was ‘gravely disabled.’ To support this view, they wrote in my chart that I was unable to do my Yale Law School homework. I wondered what that meant about much of the rest of New Haven.”

“We must stop criminalizing mental illness. It's a national tragedy and scandal that the L.A. County Jail is the biggest psychiatric facility in the United States.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...