Mental Support Community

Relational Aggression

devils daughter

Hi DD! Have you had a chance to look at attachment and it's impact on relating to others?

I bring it up because that is what I thought of when I looked at your article. Bullying can be viewed as a situation where secure attachment didn't happen and the person is sort of going about their attachment needs backwards and negatively.

This is what came up quickly in a search; I think it shows some of what I mean: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/compassion-matters/201307/how-your-attachment-style-impacts-your-relationship

Disregard if none of that is helpful to you!

. . .Bullying can be viewed as a situation where secure attachment didn't happen and the person is sort of going about their attachment needs backwards and negatively. . .

Yes, 'finding', I do think that makes sense.

For me, it also relates back to Dr. Kathy’s article on anger where she said that anger was an APPROACH emotion. Which, if one’s caretakers rejected the anger, then it can leave a person in a catch-22. Attachment needs aren’t being met => become enraged (because that’s what the toddler/child is capable of) => get rejected by caretaker => attachment needs aren’t being met.. Eventually a child can just reject herself and numb out the need for attachment and related needs.

But the needs are still there, perhaps deep in unawareness. And still associated with the negative ways of trying to get those needs met.