Mental Support Community

It has been 2 full weeks since I had a beer & I feel better than I did prior to that.

I am sharing this not to say 'hooray for me' but in case someone else wants to give it a try.

A drinking problem has little to do w how much you drink but rather how it effects you.

It effects me by sabotaging everything positive I am trying to do in life. I over eat, have no energy, get angry & depressed.

But 2 weeks sober & I already feel physically & mentally stronger. Don't get me wrong, my life still sucks because all I ever do is work and I never have any fun. Which is why I used to drink. See the vicious circle?

But regardless I prefer this feeling to being wasted. At least this way if I want to do something about it, I can. Peace.

I think it's okay to be proud of yourself. Good for you. :)

Can you make the time to do something fun for yourself? I understand that life does not always make that easy. I find "me time" to be very vital to my emotional well-being. Even if it's just taking the dogs for a walk, the recharge can be so helpful to alleviate stress.

Wishing you good mental health. Take care.

Edited by IrmaJean
wording

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you. Alcohol is so pervasive in our society, it can be challenging to maintain any distance from it. Maybe in time when you do feel less want for it, it will become easier to be around alcohol without drinking any. Likely a challenging adjustment, but one that is possible. Best of luck to you.

Take care.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the good news is I absolutely have not been drinking on work nights. Bad news is weekends are a challenge and while I had nothing Friday night I had 4 beers last night at home just out of sheer boredom and some frustration w myself. Thankfully I slept & feel ok today & not feeling any craving. I think I am getting there just need to stay motivated. When I feel good I do good. It is that simple. Life! Grrrrr....

Victim, you're doing great. Don't get frustrated! It sounds like you don't have a hard core drinking problem, just a small dependency. You don't exactly crave, but you get bored.

My oldest boy developed a drinking problem in college. He hasn't had a drink in close to a year. He has echoed exactly what you've said. Every place you go, every group of people you're out with is drinking. It's hard to simply hold a glass of 7up or coke while everyone else is drinking mixed drinks or beer.

Please keep up the good work and keep us up to date on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you doing? Sending you nice thoughts. Boredom is a rough one. Do you have anything that you've always wanted to do, but never had the time for?

Myself, I can't drink in safety. I haven't had much in terms of cravings, but boredom, habit, complacency all make it really frustrating. But it's okay to feel that way. Wishing you well.

Hey thanks cloud, I still struggle w beer consumption because the few social activities I have seem to include beer and I do enjoy it in the summertime in particular but the good news is I have banished it from work nights because my job is just too hard to go in diminished.

Also I am working on limiting my consumption when I do go out by drinking water and leaving earlier than I used to.

Good luck w your struggles too, I wish you success.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx Spotless. Yeah when I cut it out altogether i just backlash hard so I am limiting it to Friday night and occasional Saturday if I must. Life is easier when I am not hung over and there is more to life than being wasted. Feeling good and thinking clearly are worth the sacrifice; a better life is possible.

Thanx Spotless. Yeah when I cut it out altogether i just backlash hard so I am limiting it to Friday night and occasional Saturday if I must. Life is easier when I am not hung over and there is more to life than being wasted. Feeling good and thinking clearly are worth the sacrifice; a better life is possible.

You're doing great! When you realize how much better you feel that's half the fight! Cutting back is fine, victim. Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...

Not drinking at all during the work week seems to be helping w my energy level and focus. I used to sometimes have a few beers after work but cutting that out was the right move. Now just fri-sat if at all. Just sharing in case it helps anyone else.

definitely,the less,the better.

you're on the right track.

Wow had a Friday night last night w no beer. That is huge for me. Feeling good is my high now. If I have something social to do then I might have one but I am not going to sit here and get sauced just to watch garbage on TV. So many better things to do.

That's wonderful! It feels good to celebrate accomplishments, doesn't it? Good for you. :)

Take care.

Wow had a Friday night last night w no beer. That is huge for me. Feeling good is my high now. If I have something social to do then I might have one but I am not going to sit here and get sauced just to watch garbage on TV. So many better things to do.

You're doing great! One small step at a time buddy! You have a reason to feel good. You're in controll!