Mental Support Community

I didn't see Truman but I know about it. There was a reality show called Joe Schmo where one only guy was a legit contestant and everyone else was in on it and they just fucked w his head endlessly.  Granted there were some funny moments but I thought it was horribly cruel.  He got $100K which after taxes is more like $60K and I felt it was much too low for what they put him through.  Kind of sums up life - the payday pales in comparison to the pain. 

It's now 2am and I have not had any beer after all.  I might have one if don't get to sleep soon.  

Just frustrated w my lack of progress on any front.  This house is cluttered and has some disrepair, I don't like the neighborhood anymore (over developed too many people - loud & congested), my job is a dead end & I worry about layoffs, I have no social life to speak of. The only good is my diet and laying off the drinking. Oh and I saved a little, and I do mean little, bit of money just from being a hermit.  Actually as I write this I feel mostly ok because I had a decent day at work & I have couple of days off this week and will see a friend for some fun - beer and movies kind of thing.  But the overall situation still remains the same.  

How about you? Will you move to a new country this year?  

• 2 weeks later...

I had some Miller Lite last night and it was stupid because I really could have just gone to bed but I just felt like having them and putting some music on the stereo so that is what I did.  It was fun and I don't have much fun in life so that's how that goes. 

Now today I am feeling somewhat lousy and I am not sure how much of it is attributable to the hangover vs the last remnant of this headcold.  If I can get nap I will probably feel better.  

23 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

I had some Miller Lite last night and it was stupid because I really could have just gone to bed but I just felt like having them and putting some music on the stereo so that is what I did.  It was fun and I don't have much fun in life so that's how that goes. 

Now today I am feeling somewhat lousy and I am not sure how much of it is attributable to the hangover vs the last remnant of this headcold.  If I can get nap I will probably feel better.  

Did the same thing with Corona a few weeks ago. Although some beers are worth the headache...almost lol. Miller Genuine Draft was an old favorite too, can't beat a cold one of those bad boys. I find if I get back to sleep after the first time I wake up, I'm fine. If I don't get back to sleep I end up anxious and stressed out until I've slept again. 

Drinking is definitely a younger mans game. It's been years since I've been buzzed, decades since I've been drunk. But a cold Guinness Extra Stout and a tasty cigar is still much enjoyed in my dusky relaxation room. I start a little fire in the wood stove and put some quiet music on. AAAHHHHHH.

Heck victim it's been a long time since you've posted you've had even a slight hang over. If this helped you relax and listen to a little music it couldn't be all bad.

I had a snow day here and my office was closed and I knew that would happen so last night I did have 4 Miller Lite not bad because I really slept late this morning.  

There is some good news: I got a workout in shoveling snow and I have no desire to drink, doing just fine w decaf coffee ☕.  And the weekend will be here in 3 days.  Also I have been doing pretty good sticking to a semi vegetarian diet.  I eat lots of eggs, pasta, cheese, rice, puzza, nuts and of course fruits & veggies. It helps me feel better and I have lost a few pounds.  

Also pleased that I got over this cold w/o needing antibiotics.  I have 4 days off starting 3-24-17 so I am looking forward to that.  

On 14/03/2017 at 8:05 PM, Victimorthecrime said:

I had a snow day here and my office was closed and I knew that would happen so last night I did have 4 Miller Lite not bad because I really slept late this morning.  

There is some good news: I got a workout in shoveling snow and I have no desire to drink, doing just fine w decaf coffee ☕.  And the weekend will be here in 3 days.  Also I have been doing pretty good sticking to a semi vegetarian diet.  I eat lots of eggs, pasta, cheese, rice, puzza, nuts and of course fruits & veggies. It helps me feel better and I have lost a few pounds.  

Also pleased that I got over this cold w/o needing antibiotics.  I have 4 days off starting 3-24-17 so I am looking forward to that.  

I'm on a fresh orange juice kick atm. I've cut down on coffee, but I have the odd one. I'm off the booze except for special occasions, can't bear the hangovers. The booze is a funny old dog, the pros don't outweigh the cons for me and yet I miss it every day. The thing about doing what's good for you is that it's so fucking boring haha, and yet alcohol dependency is no picnic either. It's a case of being shit if you do and shit if you don't. Although I think I'll start exercising again, that always made me feel good. 

Last night was Friday night (and St  Patrick's Day) and I did not drink. So that is good. Now if I can get through today I will be pleased.  The good news is I am not craving it.

See what happened was in Feb I had 5 days off and right then some stressful things occurred so that double whammy had me drinking again. But now things have settled down somewhat and I am getting back to where I was before - not drinking & not wanting to drink.  I need my body to be strong & my head to be clear so I can handle my daily life better.  

In my mind I am imagining someone reading this and wondering "what is the big deal?".  The reason it is a big deal is the significant difference between how I occur in the world when sober vs drinking.  

• 2 weeks later...

No booze on either Friday or Saturday night which is good.  I want to keep it to long weekends where I have Monday off and even then want to keep it to a minimum.  I am going to update this thread less often 'cause sometimes just gets me thinking about drinking when I should be thinking about other things.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really good lately and last night was Friday night so I did treat myself to 4 Miller Lite while I watched American Pickers.  As soon as I got home I put a pizza in the oven and not long after I popped a can. No regrets this time 'cause I just really needed it.  Even chatted w some Deadheads on FB who were really partying holy mackerel.  I was asleep by 8:20pm and slept until 6am.  I have a headache but it is not too bad.  Just going to go w the flow today and try to not worry so much as I have been.  Probably have some eggs and get a nap later 'cause I love to sleep.  

I usually keep a bottle of scotch or bourbon around for sleep and general mind numbing, mostly because I don't have access to pills. I don't like the taste of alcohol, especially beer. I had never tasted liquor until I was 24. Some 'friends' got me drunk and filmed it and compared me to 'drunk gumby'. Assholes. My problem is pills. I like pizza too much...but it's too convenient, especially when you're feeling like dog shit and don't want to cook.

5-6 years ago I went thru a scotch and Irish whiskey ? phase.  Now I am lager or pilsner beer drinker but if I were to do a shot it would be a good tequila.  As long as it is an occasional weekend thing then it's ok.  

I do love pizza.  I have cut way back on the amount of meat I eat so I have been eating more pizza, pasta, eggs, peanut butter, rice, soup, pancakes, cereal, cheese, to go along w all the fruits, nuts, beans and veggies.  Just trying to stay healthy.