Mental Support Community

My therapist gave me the book "true refuge"

dvnJ22

http://www.amazon.com/True-Refuge-Finding-Freedom-Awakened/dp/0553807625

I've read about 40 pgs, and all it is pseudo psychology, mixed with Buddhist, Hindu, yoga metaphysics bullshit.

I've told her many times I want something REAL. And I get nothing. Just hippy, pop psychology.

Getting another therapist isn't that easy. I've been to the others on my insurance, and they creepy, or just incompetent. and the rest are too far.

I'm tired of this.

Have you already read the "Recommended reading" thread in the "Recommended" sub-forum here? Perhaps you'll find there something better to read (?).

BTW, perhaps some general improvement of health could have a positive impact on your mental state, perhaps you could try this:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B0031U075O

(Sorry if you don't consider it appropriate for you :o. It was just an idea based on my current info-search...)

I'm sorry your T is giving you this kind of "advises", it can be really frustrating :(. She surely has good intentions and believes this could help you, but she obviously "forgets" that we are all different and you may need something very different... Well, why not to see it as a human mistake (= she makes this mistake, but making mistakes is human and if they don't hurt others, then we may be tolerant / clemency...)

Is she at least helpful as a therapist? That doesn't have to be related to her poor book suggestions ;)!

BTW, perhaps some general improvement of health could have a positive impact on your mental state, perhaps you could try this:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B0031U075O

(Sorry if you don't consider it appropriate for you :o. It was just an idea based on my current info-search...)

What does this have to do with anything? What are you trying to say?

Mental health is related to physical health (by which I don't mean being physically healthy implies being mentally well, of course, but in many cases it helps more or less at least with some aspects of the mental problems...) and there are many ways how to improve one's physical health; this is a book (I noticed that day, by chance) showing one of the ways how to improve our health. That's all.

• 4 weeks later...