Mental Support Community

Self

mts

On 10/26/2016 at 11:51 PM, mts said:

Best of luck with your talk, Lala! If it doesn't work out, you'll achieve it soon.

I'm ashamed I didn't reply - time lies so fast, I didn't even notice how much I missed here!

Thank you, mts! I was quite amazed how well it went. It was a nice exception. Moreover, few days after, somebody else in the family had a much, much serious "talk of this kind" and this has probably a bit "hidden" the mine (or its "consequences"). (I wrote more on my personal blog here. I'll check if you have access...)

On 10/27/2016 at 11:54 AM, mts said:

Yeah but some people have / had it far worse, don't they? [...] 

Can this be a part of every day human problems, or just part of being human? This phobia, to me, seems to have taken over my whole life.

This is true for, probably, everything: it's a matter of intensity; it depends how much and it what ways it affects your life. Imagine a scale of sadness, for instance: it also spreads from a mild sadness towards strong depression. So I think it doesn't matter as much if others have some problems and fears associated with eye contact; the important part is that in your case, it's a phobia which influences your life rather significantly. At the same time, perhaps knowing that others aren't perfect in this makes your goal more achievable (=you don't need perfection to feel OK) or makes you feel "more normal" = not so utterly different, just elsewhere on a commun scale (?).

How are you doing? What about your ear infection? I'm sure it's better not to go to work when you have an infection! I hope you weren't too harsh on yourself for making that decision!

Take care!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...