Mental Support Community

Confidence / Self Confidence

Victimorthecrime

Would you agree that happy and/or successful people usually seem confident? If so, question: what came first - the success or the confidence?

well,in my humble opinion,it could be either. i can imagine a self-doubting person becoming successful and as a result becoming somewhat self-assured.

that said,it's probably more likely for someone who's already confident to become successful.

happiness is a completely different matter tho,i believe. i don't think happiness and success necessarily go hand in hand; so one might be considered successful,but still unhappy,unfulfilled,etc.; on the other hand,a person might not be seen as successful but is in fact happy and satisfied.

When I say successful I do not mean financial success necessarily but it is hard to he happy w/o some degree of financial security I believe.

Lack of confidence can undermine success, I have seen that, sadly even in my own life. Lack of confidence creates doubt, doubt creates inaction and inaction engenders failure. The question is can self confidence reverse this process?

When I say successful I do not mean financial success necessarily but it is hard to he happy w/o some degree of financial security I believe.

Lack of confidence can undermine success, I have seen that, sadly even in my own life. Lack of confidence creates doubt, doubt creates inaction and inaction engenders failure. The question is can self confidence reverse this process?

of course it can,but the problem is that there are a lot of factors at play,some of which are unfortunately out of our control.

we must therefor try fixing everything that we can (things that are in our power),then hope and pray that the things which are out of our control improve as well.

Do you think we have gotten too comfortable, too soft, settled for the easy road, lost the fire in our bellies?

some of us for sure,but others are just too busy with everyday crap,you know life's problems and challenges,making ends meet,personal,social,financial,etc.. some people are too busy trying to stay alive to have time,energy or desire to actually wanna make time for sitting and planning and then trying to achieve huge goals.

it's not easy for anyone,but one thing's for sure,nothing is free,and great things come at great cost.

I think it likely works together with each ("confidence" and "success") adding to and affecting the other (there's a specific word for this, but I can't think of it at the moment). Success is very difficult to define or quantify, though, specifically, and each person might have their own views on this. I also think that every person likely has some insecurities and self-doubts. Maybe resilience should also be considered?

'Reciprocal' was the word I was thinking of.

I think that most of us probably are at least somewhat afraid of failing, but if we know we can recover and rebound, we're more likely to keep trying. That's where resilience can come into play, I think.

Well what is confidence? I believe confidence is simply being yourself and not being concerned what others think about you and doing what makes you happy, rather then doing what you think you should do to fit in with the so-called norm of society.

Yes. I think that people may mistake confidence as feeling perfectly able all of the time, but I don't personally view it that way. I view it as being accepting of our imperfections and insecurities and feeling free to shine our light. It's the shining our light part that makes it attractive to me and perhaps even showing vulnerability...being okay with being ourselves, accepting that we are not perfect, and embracing self, as is. My personal thoughts anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Klingsor

Would you agree that happy and/or successful people usually seem confident? If so, question: what came first - the success or the confidence?

I wish I had confidence to provide an answer to this question because the almost pathological absence of it in myself is the root of all my misery.

• 2 weeks later...

I think confidence start with succes...in other words, family and friends. When you have had a good past during your first years of life, people gains confidence and are more optimistic in their lifes.

Childs with family´sproblems, drugs or tragedies normally needs help because the past block themselves.

In my case, I was a normal child, happy and without problems. But in my fifteens began my hell. And now I´m 26 years old and I continue having problems in my life.

I have lose contact with my family. I have many healths problems and etc. When I look to my school friends with a normal past it´s just like heaven and hell. They´ve enjoy their lifes, also someone is married...

It´s incredible how little factors like your father or the family´s economy determine a person :(

Hi. I don´t want to talk with my family...Since my fifteens I tried to fix all my family situations and that was my big mistake I suppose. It´s hard to explain, My father´s family is better they stay far away from me...They are jealously people with a inmense negativeness, I think that my father was a victim from my dad´s grandpa

With my mother´s family, about 9 years with no contact..The reason: fear to my father...yes, about twenty people told my mother to not appear in my grandma´s house because my father...And know my mother told me that she have no communication since two years.

I have no reason to contact this people...cowards and rats, in the past they could help but they decided to close the doors and to look otherside...And I was only a teenager.

And with my Health...I try to. I know this forum is not about desperation. But actually I live like a robot...I force myself to exit my room and house, I go to the Public Library to study and to gym. But I´ve a loneliness feel. A great empty...I heard that with time things go to normal but are too many years with no changes.

And with my Health...I try to. I know this forum is not about desperation. But actually I live like a robot...I force myself to exit my room and house, I go to the Public Library to study and to gym. But I´ve a loneliness feel. A great empty...I heard that with time things go to normal but are too many years with no changes.

Actually I think this forum is about desperation (among other things) so feel free. I can relate to everything you said above. I have extended family that once my mother died I ceased all contact. My life is work work work and not a lot else.