Mental Support Community

Mid Age Bullying

Notquitethere

Hi all, am new here and would like to tell my story. I was 40 when I decided to go to culinary school. Yup, I know, too late. But we didn't have those things back in the 80's-90s. What I thought would be a smooth sailing ride turned out to be a nightmare as I had to endure verbal abuse when I had to do my internship in a hotel. It got so bad that I was a wreck in about a week and a half. But instead of talking back, I simply told HR about it. Sometimes it really helps to complain as I was told that the hotel places a heavy premium on respect and that they would investigate. They fired people for the slightest things. I don't know what that means exactly but I am waiting for the outcome of that little investigation. So in the meantime I just stopped going. I was never the confrontational type. I'd simply back away from aggression. But sometimes when pushed too far, then something has to give. Now I'm not even sure if all this aggravation is worth getting my diploma. This happened a two weeks ago, and I should be fine by now but am not. The thing with being bullied is the event/s keeps replaying in your mind like some kind of cancer, it morphs and gets bigger than it really is. I wish I had someone to talk about this, someone who has something similar like this happen to them.

Hey Not, what happened is not your fault, I would try to hang in there if you can.

Yes there are many people that if they sense any weakness in you will go straight into predatory mode. Try to have as little interaction w them as possible. Defend yourself if that doesn't work. Try to prepare yourself for what they might do or say; stay 3 steps ahead.

This happens to me less than it used to, people sense when to not fuck w you.

Wish I had a better answer, good luck, stay strong.

I am inclined to agree with victimofbullying (you've got such a difficult name, I couldn't just shorten it to victim ;) ) Quitting won't affect anybody but you, and I get the feeling this is something you really want to achieve! You have to ask yourself, is putting up with these nasty people worth getting your qualification at the end? I think the answer is probably yes? Take extra care and be kind to yourself.