Mental Support Community

The News [TRIGGER warning: US elections]

Victimorthecrime

Sometimes watching the news or reading the news on the internet makes my blood boil and literally sends me into a fit of rage.

I don't want to delve into any particular issue but my questions are: does this happen to anyone else? I want to be a good citizen and stay informed but is it possible to do that and not experience anxiety? The anxiety and panic immobilizes me and makes me feel unwell.

Thanks guys. Yeah there are times when I just have to hit the mute button when watching the tube or hide on FB. I need to realize that my getting upset over things I can't control helps no one.

The challenge is a cold weekend like this when I am shut in nursing a head cold sometimes there is nothing on the idiot box but the news. Oh well at least I seem to have beat this cold by rest, naps, and some vitamins and herbs and a bit of positive thinking.

• 1 month later...

I hate watching the news. It's as if it is deliberately constructed and produced in such a way to make you feel constantly anxious. My grandparents are addicted to cable news because they rarely get out these days, and I know they worry so much about things. So I try to go over as often as I can and engage them in other things by subtly hinting that I don't like watching news. They will then turn it off and visit with me or we'll do chores that they need my help with.

that's so sweet, klingsor. i think it's very admirable for someone with so many problems to make time to help out others, specially elderly relatives.

keep up the good work.

• 1 year later...

The reason the Statue of Liberty says "give me...your poor..." is not because we were being nice, it is because we needed them. Aspirational poor were needed to work farms, factories, civil projects.  They are no longer needed.  Technology as it exists today could already replace the majority of jobs and when the next leap forward occurs close to 100 percent of the jobs will be gone. That next leap is AI and robotics. 

As a result the rich and powerful are planning to hugely depopulate the planet.  There are quotes from Bill Gates and others directly pointing to this.  Genetic engineered viruses, weather on demand, mass "migrations" are all but a mouse click away for these gentry. 

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the comment and yes indeed.  A thought that occurred to me recently is that there are guys that know next to nothing about the world but they take care of making a buck and staying clear to the extent possible of both police and criminals and just live their lives for the things they enjoy like sports, music, sex, fitness, travel, Internet, family, booze, etc..  I am doing my best to join those ranks because we are doomed so why not live it up whilst we still can?  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been stressing over this election more than any other i can remember.

I tried to relieve my stress by taking action:  i campaigned on the phone, campaigned door-to-door, donated to the candidate, and of course voted.  But none of it helps.

I've tried to remind myself: "Look, you're not one of the races or religions being targeted by those other voters; if they do win this election, they're not going to go after you, they're going to go after someone else.  Your life will be fine even if they win."

Didn't help one bit.  Like every other form of Cognitive Therapy i've ever tried.

20 hours ago, TooOld4This said:

Didn't help one bit.  Like every other form of Cognitive Therapy i've ever tried.

Yes, I do wonder when trying to think positively tips over into trying to accept the unacceptable.

I don't live in the US but I do worry a bit when a presidential candidate says climate change is a hoax.

TooOld4This, I think it's challenging in part because beyond voting so much of what is happening and what could happen seems beyond our control. You did your part and took action. I will be taking action this coming Tuesday as well when I vote.

The election has weighed on my mind too. I have concerns as well, but what I find the most disheartening is how this seems to be pulling people apart rather than drawing them together... I hope that changes once this is over, regardless of the outcome.

IJ, one of the things that gets me is:  what does the world think about us Americans (and therefore, me; i should own up to my own self-interest here) if we elect this kind of person as our leader?

I do a lot of traveling, including in Latin America and Africa.  

What do i tell them when they say "hey, Yanqui, what the hell is wrong with you people?"  Maybe i shouldn't care about this, but i do.

What does a Russian say to foreigners, assuming he or she didn't vote for Putin?  What did Germans in the 1930's say, who didn't vote for Hitler?  

My vote is so insignificant to the outcome; yet i'm going to have to answer for it.