Mental Support Community

Is there such a thing as fear of frustration?

Guest ChinaDoll

Guest ChinaDoll

I recently started playing this online game to distract myself from negative thoughts (anxiety disorder, ptsd) and having something else to think about other than the usual chicken little crap I think about has given me a huge break from my fears. Now here I am at the stage where leveling up is harder and I go on their forum to see what can be done. I am confonted with a huge pile of information that must be digested and carried out. The thought that I have a huge pile of work ahead of me and the possibility of being frustrated if it ends in failure, makes me not want to do it at all. "Screw that, I'll just do whatever to kill the time."

I'm trying to figure out what this is. Could it be related to the fact that I was a perfectionist? I say I was because I am now trying to stop being one because it recently led me to put too much pressure on myself and made me crumble from the inside out.

So what do you guys think? Is this fear to invest too much effort some form of anxiety?

Guest ChinaDoll

Oh, I forgot to say that the reason why I'm curious about this is because in a few days, I will be starting a new life which means a new job, etc. It worries me that I might not be able to do my job well because of this fear. It inhibits me from becoming my best and I don't want that. On the other hand, I also don't want to feel frustrated ever again.

How does one deal with frustration anyway? I seem to be extremely terrible at it.

Frustration is a tough one. I try to remember to stay with myself, but that can be challenging at times. If I am feeling frustrated, I might start by taking a few deep breaths and then talk to myself gently. Do you have an inner encouraging voice?

Also, possibly if you are able to look at the end result in a different way, you may be able to change your response to what happens or might happen. Life is full of risks, but I think it's so important to engage. We are only here so long. I know for me personally I intend to embrace each and every day.

I hope your new job goes well.

Guest ChinaDoll

Thank you everyone. It's so painful to be anxious all the time; to be afraid of everything and nothing all at the same time. Yet, you know that despite that you still have to keep moving, keep doing what needs to be done. Thank you for the encouragement.

Guest ChinaDoll

Oh boy am I anxious right now! Im not entirely sure what this is. Separation anxiety perhaps? I feel like a wuss. Inside I wanna cry so bad but Im holding it in. Right now I'm alternating in and out of that state where in your mind you feel like you're a third person. I get this a lot when I'm feeling really hurt or sad. This is probably how my mind copes. I'm not sure if this is healthy but it lessens the blow.

Guest ChinaDoll

Sorry for taking so long to reply. :(

Aside from my little meltdown last night, I generally feel better compared to before. Hope is a wonderful thing. This move pretty much is that-- a chance for a new beginning. Ofcourse, I still have plenty of fears but I try as much as possible to wrestle them down. I still feel ashamed of my inadequacies but the only cure for that I think is actually just putting myself out there and to learn all of it.

• 1 month later...