Mental Support Community

Meditation

whatever

I'm pretty new in meditation, ive been doing it for a week now.

I didn't experience much benefits still but im just begining, i feel some joy after each session and it is addictive. My technique is that i sit on chair with straight back and concentrate on breath, on air that is going through my nostrils, im only doing it for five minutes a day but i will increase time later on.

Does anybody here meditate?

I will keep posting results!

When I meditate, at first I focus on my breathing and try to relax my entire body. Once I feel completely relaxed, I often use positive imagery. I find it helps to relieve tension and stress. I read one study that showed how meditation can actually create new connections in our brains. I hope you find it healing.

Edited by IrmaJean
can't type too well

• 3 weeks later...

K meditated regularly. I can’t speak for him, but I know he found it very beneficial.

I have also watched a TED talk about the many benefits of meditation. Changes can actually take place in the brain. Maybe I could find the link for that.

Anxiety can serve a purpose, true. It can also become a learned response to certain situations. I know that one too well... I think too it can be based on irrational fears.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by being too calm?

@Beth; I am motivated primarily to do things by fear/anxiety. For example, if I have a psychologists appointment I am terrified so that fear wakes me up, gets me out of bed and into the waiting room (which I hate). Having these anxious thoughts (which have become a way of life for me) is almost an acceptance of them. What happens when I meditate is they seem to get moved to the background, and only appear in anxious situations, but since I'm not used to them anymore they feel much worse. So I'm kind of unsure about meditating again.

Nice article! Even a subtle allusion to determinism in there?

I experienced the same symptoms as Mr Hans, but relatively briefly (a few months) after addiction.

I thought this comment was interesting.

In the Bhagavad Gita Krishna makes a very clear delineation between two paths - Karma Yoga and Gyana Yoga. Karma Yoga is the path of "householders," people who's dharma draws them into greater contact with the world, people with kids, jobs, mortgages, etc. The path of Karma Yoga asks that we connect with the field of pure consciousness, pure being that lies beyond the mind, beyond the individual self, and then express that truth through action. 

Gyana Yoga, on the other hand, is the path of renunciates, monks, people who's dharma draws them away from the world at large. These are people for who celibacy is not a sacrifice. Gyana yoga involves connecting with that underlying truth of life and then reflecting on it. A life of introspection, reflection, contemplation. 

Meditation practices, like vipassana, which operate on the level of the mind, which actively engage and sharpen the mind, are paths of Gyana Yoga. Meaning the most serious and intense study of them is really only meant for a very small percentage (something like 1-2% of the population is truly monastic by nature) of people. The rest may dabble, and enjoy, but the dangers illustrated in this article can result when people overuse a tool not meant for them.

This doesn't mean that those on the path of Karma Yoga shouldn't mediate. It simply means they should meditate in a fashion that is appropriate for people who's path necessitates that they be active and completely connected to the world. The beauty is that the householder can, through meditation, simultaneously know themselves as both the individual self AND the the collective self, the Atman. It's a nice way to live. TM is one such practice. When I teach I call it Vedic Meditation. It is "the householders practice. The practice of effortlessly allowing, as opposed to concentrating. Of cultivating the ability to flow with life, not pierce through the veil of life with the intellect. It's beautiful. And remarkably easy to learn and practice. And I've never heard of anyone, even those who practice for decades, experiencing the kinds of dissociative disorders described in this article. 

Try it. You'll like it.

Has anyone successfully made this a habit? If so,

- Is it difficult to maintain?

- Are the benefits worth it?

- Don't we need anxiety? / Doesn't it make you too calm?

1. not really

2. oh yeah

3. i think people on average have too much anxiety for their own good. modern life i guess.

I'm using great app called 'Headspace' , it's great.

About 7 years ago I really got back into meditation. I wanted very much to be enlightened and I went a bit overboard. Thought patterns would just burst out fractal like across w windscreen of my mind. I had no ability to control and felt besieged.

I saw that my self was an illusion born of these various spontaneous thought patterns. But it was not a pleasant experience at all. Even thinking about it now I get that same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach along w sweaty and faint. I was lost. I had no idea who I was or what was going on.

Exercise was the thing that got me out of it. Also beer, heavy metal music, stock trading, naked women on the internet and consciously trying to engage in life w emotion. It was like I had to resuscitate my ego.

I still meditate but in smaller doses. Meditation can help me to see things differently, change my point of view be and open to new possibilities.

Exercise was the thing that got me out of it. Also beer, heavy metal music, stock trading, 1- naked women on the internet and consciously trying to engage in life w emotion. It was like I had to resuscitate my ego.

I still meditate but in smaller doses. Meditation can help me to see things differently, 2- change my point of view be and [be] open to new possibilities.

1- they cure everything, don't they? :wub:

2- you've hacked beth's account. :P

• 5 years later...

Whoever needs to listen to this.. Let me tell you that anxiety isn't a weakness. Living with anxiety, going through a lot with anxiety, needs more courage & strength most will never know. Repeat after me that your anxiety is lying to you, you're loved and going to be ok. By inducing positivity in yourself, by self-reassurance, you'll get your energy back. 
No matter how powerless or out of control you may feel about your panic attacks, it’s important to know that there are many things you can do to help yourself.
Avoid smoking, alcohol, and caffeine.

Top 3 Mental Health Tips From 15 Practicing Professionals 
Learn how to control your breathing.
Practice relaxation techniques.
Exercise regularly.
Get enough restful sleep.
Connect face-to-face with family and friends.

The most effective form of professional treatment for tackling panic attacks, panic disorder is therapy. 
10 Practical Methods for Coping with Anxiety 
Cognitive-behavioral therapy
Exposure therapy for panic disorder

Medication can be used to temporarily control or reduce some of the symptoms of panic disorder, it doesn’t treat or resolve the problem. Medication can be useful in severe cases, but it should not be the only treatment pursued. Medication is most effective when combined with other treatments, such as therapy and lifestyle changes, that address the underlying causes of panic disorder.
Medications used may include:

An Ultimate Guide Towards Your Recovery From Depression 
Antidepressants
Benzodiazepines.

The best natural anti-anxiety that worked on me is meditation. It has proven to be a real blessing. I have tried a lot of medicines and they were working but I feel like I’ve found peace in meditation. Breathing techniques help the best with your anxiety. I have been on cbd also. It also helps me with my anxiety. Also, these are the coping techniques that are my partner in my journey! I am not against medicines but for me, they are not a good option to try. I had been on medication for so long and it was working fine for me but later I sensed a change in my behavior. Without medicines, I was more anxious and irritated. I promised myself since then, not to rely on medicines anymore and I switched to alternative therapy options. I have added a few things to my routine and it’s working well on my mental health. The choice is something you have control over so better decide wisely what is good for you.
Here is what has helped me: 
7 Striking Strategies on How to Fight Depression and Improve Lifestyle

I hope it helps!