Mental Support Community

How Real Life Change Happens

Guest ChinaDoll

I wonder if part of the "physic vampires" (that we all encountered) ability to process fear differently and more easily is due to their ability to act so well as to believe their own performance.

It's something I've witnessed time and time again. Their effortless character assimilation; or the brash self-assurance; both loud and unconcerned for normal social ettiquite.

Sometimes I wonder if there is something to be learned from this; and as the article mentioned "acting", but wouldn't actors all be confident in this case? Or perhaps the ones who aren't just didn't apply it to their lives.

I notice in society often people appear to be acting.

Aren't we all actors, just copies of various personalities of others, shaped differently by our temperament and beliefs...

there seems to be some sort of contradiction there, mts. "copies" can't be "shaped differently" than the original(s).

i don't believe that anyone is a copy of anyone else, in the least bit. some people do imitate others, however, but they're still very different than those whom they mimic.

I think i agree with what mts posted, and it's kind of depressing.

I never really got to the point of accepting myself or being confident; what i eventually did was, i became better at concealing my self-hatred and better at looking like i was confident. I became better at being a phony.

I think it's a testament to how messed-up our culture is; that a cheerful fake façade is respected more than honest vulnerability.

I didn't mean to say we are the same as any other one person; but that our personality is made up of other people. I think we copy others, whether consciously or not, and are the unique mix of our genes, learned behaviours from others, and temperament and beliefs, which reorder our expression. I mean to say that every action and expression is a combination of many different influences, copied - and expanded or limited, and that's what I meant by shaped.

Guest Generic

I dont think normal people put too much thought into their personalities, really. And if they ever take the time to think about it, dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum.

Or whatever... lol!