Mental Support Community

The Man Cave

Resolute

A physicist is sat in a restaurant eating dinner alone. He orders two of everything, asking the waiter to place the second meal on the opposite side of the table. "Is Sir expecting someone?" Asks the waiter. "Perhaps!" exclaims the physicist, explaining - "You see in quantum mechanics, matter can generate spontaneously. In the case a beautiful woman appears in the seat opposite, I'd like be a gentleman and dine her!" 

"Wouldn't Sir like to try the bar, perhaps one of the lovely ladies would like to make his acquaintance?" Suggests the waiter. "Don't be absurd!" Slams the physicist. "What are the chances of that?"

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:22 AM, Small said:

*Fistbumps my main guys* ?

@Resolute

@Victimorthecrime

@Klingcorn

@retr0john

Eh fuck it the girls too ?

@jazz

@IrmaJean

Fistbumps  all around? Sorry I missed that.

I've been busy this week working up in a church tower.It's about 190 foot tall. When I was working for my former employer one of the churches south of us (actually down close to Evansville) had us do the repair work in their 'bell' tower. There's no actual bell, but they have loudspeakers that broadcast a bell ringing on the hours. They also have a clock on one side at the 150 foot mark. This was built in the '40s. The clock gutworks are electric, but all the bearings and bushings need attention every 5 or 6 years.

I guess they contacted my old company who told them I no longer worked for them. The church then called me directly and asked me to come and work for them for one week while they were having the clock fixed. They offered me a decent amount of money, so I agreed to oversee the project. I was supervising a couple guys I'd worked closely with in years past, so everything went pretty well. A carriage bolt had lost its nut, dropped out of the woodwork above the clock mechanism and jammed a gear. This caused the motor to burn out and tripped the breaker. (A few years ago we pulled the old fuse box out and replaced it with a new breaker box.) I replaced the bolt with a stainless steel one and secured it with a nylock self locking nut.

We finished up by fabbing a simple metal box and covering the clockworks up so's no bolts or birds could get into them. The worst part of all this? Climbing that infernal ladder up and down and up and down every day. Didn't have to do any walking working out this week.

It has rained....and Rained....and RAINED. The wife and I are aching to get the garden tilled and get some plants in. We've only got one row of sweet pod peas out, one row of greens and one row of radishes. I'm ready to till and get some cucumber and tomato plants out, but it will be late Sunday or more likely Monday before the grounds dry enough.   

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@jazz I guess an alpha because he screwed at least two women on the clock in the short time I worked there. 

I’m attempting to understand what being a man is really all about since I told my therapist to _____ himself. He got pissy like a common mortal when I shredded his arguments too, it doubly infuriated him since he was ex-military. How dare this skinny milksop runt question my superior advice?!?! I hope he sees this and exposes me so I can sue the clinic for millions of dollars. I thought I’d revisit my friend resolute’s man cave for insight into masculinity since I’m told a man is more than his penis.

Apropos: if you walk into any public restroom...university, school, dorm, business, etc...why is it only the men’s toilet that contains penis graffiti? I don’t think you could find a single women’s toilet that contained penis graffiti. I’m told only vaginas and kweers care about such things, however. Are there that many homosexuals in the world? I’ve yet to use a public restroom where I did not see a large, erect penis scrawled somewhere complete with a hairy scrotum. Here’s another example of some homosexuals and their antics: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/18/penis-in-the-sky-us-navy-pilots-grounded-over-obscene-drawing

When I was in high school these were very popular, although I must admit that I rarely see them now. Is this the result of a transference from the testicular aspect of men to the phallic aspect? Is it better to have big balls or a big dick? I've never received a satisfactory answer to that question. Both I would assume if it's possible.

@Victimorthecrime you should *SRSLY* consider purchasing the largest pair of these you can find on the internet and hanging them proudly from your rear bumper - your dick will grow 1.375" (3.492cm for those of you who don't use Manly, Macho 'Murican Her Royal Majesty's Imperial Massive Sausage Units), your scrotal hairs will perm themselves, and you will need a hockey stick to keep the ladies up there off you.

[WARNING: semi-obscene R3 facsimile of the human scrotum]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_nuts

In an analogous way to how the US Marine Corps has come to symbolize masculinity in the military (regardless of branch), roughnecks or oil field workers have developed a subculture that has subsumed masculinity among working class, blue collar vocations. This culture permeated my life and I was steeped in it from an early age. It's important to note that this is not geographically limited but can be found from southern Texas and Louisiana as far north as the Dakotas, and it represents the working class to various degrees regardless of location. I absolutely hated it because I'm a runt who never fit in. Biology is destiny. And I resented it because they used to make ungodly amounts of money for people many of whom never even graduated high school.

Definitions:

A person who preforms manual labor in the oilfields, typically in a drilling capacity. Can be onshore or offshore. Personnel who work in the oilfields but are not involved with drilling are not true roughnecks. Roughnecks are know for their perverted sense of humor, frequent cussing, high pay, and as being some of the hardest working folks you'll ever know. Roughnecks can be oilfield-trash but not all of them are.
Oilfield Trash: the term likley began as a pejorative coined by locals in towns that experienced a rapid influx of oilfield workers arriving to drill and service oil and gas wells or provide oilfield services to the industry. Some of the stiff-necked town Fathers (and mothers) saw the oilfield workers as rough, itinerant vagabonds with too much money to spend and a serious lack of moral fibre verging on criminality. Never mind that the oilfield people could be professional engineers,geologists and technical people who made more in a month that most of the locals did in a year. Some were indeed not well "house-trained" but Bar owners, hotel owners and merchants soon discovered that most of these oilfield folks were actually pretty good for business. Today the term is seldom used outside of an "in-joke" among veteran oil patch people. The industry has matured workers are better trained for the most part and the numbers of truly uncivilized or trashy folk are dwindling. In the 1950's one snarly old town councillor (in a prairie city that will remain nameless)wanted to implement a by-law to prevent the "oilfield trash" from living within the city limits, instead having them live in trailers in an oilfield "ghetto" out on the prairie! He lost. In the ensuing years it was the influx of oil and gas money that made the place (and many others like it,) what it is today.

You will occasionally find decals or t-shirts like this on these people [WARNING: graphic/obscene offensive language]:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9359111698360828/

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/724848393/oil-fieldoil-rigroughneckderreckblack?ref=related-3

Here is a small selection:

• "Nothing I'd rather do than fuck, fight, or trip pipe" - Masculinity defined
  • "Roughnecks do it deeper" - Penis size reference
  • "Drill it till it hurts, pump it till it squirts" - Sexual prowess
  • "Your hole is my goal" - Oil field reference implying virility
  • "Need it done? Just ask a roughneck" - Super-imposed over a scantily clad female implying sexual prowess
  • "Throwing Tongs and Dropping Thongs" - Sexual prowess
  • "Most boys play with toys...real mean lay pipe" - Laying pipe is an oil field term used as a euphemism for sex
  • "Welders do it in all positions"
  • "Bitch please, I wake up with a dick harder than your job" - Sexual prowess and superiority to office workers/nerds/beta men
  • "I need a safe space ... it's called a muster point ya little bitch" - Virility reference again
  • "I'll take a guy covered in dirt and grease over a suit and tie any day" - Virility reference again

The problem w any religion is that people just make it mean anything they want. What is religion apart from words and what are words apart from the meaning we assign?  

That is what drew me to Buddhism and New Age to some extent. They invite you to mediate and see for yourself.  After enough time I just felt like I got all I was gonna get from it and moved on.  

Back to your point about men, perhaps the reason Islam is thriving is it is much more suited to the nature of men than other faiths. 

Idk. This is all the ramblings from an impotent, ineffectual runt. I live in a limbo world...working class background, bullied and made a target because of a skinny body and stunted, deformed penis but never accepted into middle class college society either. Intelligence is utterly worthless. It means nothing outside of a lawyer's office. The only things that matter are physical endowment and street smarts and this becomes truer with each passing year. Beta male is just a synonym for weakness. Might makes right, always has always will, it's the nature of the universe nothing will gainsay it and people can argue with me until hell freezes over but men judge other men and size them up, penis size included and you will exist as an inferior male to serve the needs of superior males, and women are the benchmark by which that is determined. Biological determinism is the only truth. 

Mog or be mogged is the only rule of the universe.

I would suggest you had some inner compulsion NOT to use your education to escape the roughneck culture in large technical organizations where beta's are needed.

I had similar problems because engineering, depending on the assignment I was handling, can put you close to a roughneck culture--using the word in the general sense in plants, shops, factories, construction, oil fields, ranching.

Maybe I had the advantage of being physically bigger than you and most roughnecks too.  Like I could have been a roughneck except for my personality.  Always noted they knew I wasn't a roughneck.  But as long as I showed no emotion in the face of their aggression they left me alone.  I learned how to do that.

I had better emotional control than they did.  Never got personally involved with them either.  Maintained distance and a fake "superiority" based on education.

18 hours ago, Klingsor said:

@jazz I guess an alpha because he screwed at least two women on the clock in the short time I worked there. 

I’m attempting to understand what being a man is really all about since I told my therapist to _____ himself. He got pissy like a common mortal when I shredded his arguments too, it doubly infuriated him since he was ex-military. How dare this skinny milksop runt question my superior advice?!?! I hope he sees this and exposes me so I can sue the clinic for millions of dollars. I thought I’d revisit my friend resolute’s man cave for insight into masculinity since I’m told a man is more than his penis.

You must have decided on some counseling per your earlier discussions?

On 2/27/2020 at 4:15 AM, uptight outasight said:

I would suggest you had some inner compulsion NOT to use your education to escape the roughneck culture in large technical organizations where beta's are needed.

Perceptive. Yes but I would say it was a combination of an inner compulsion or an aversion to office work due to my background and social pressures to maintain a "rugged" identity, and also circumstantial. Because of poor career decisions, my engineering responsibilities led me to production management roles that I am totally unsuited for. This is why I consider myself an occupational failure - I don't want to be a desk jockey, but I'm unsuited as pure management. That's why I say college was a mistake.

I had similar problems because engineering, depending on the assignment I was handling, can put you close to a roughneck culture--using the word in the general sense in plants, shops, factories, construction, oil fields, ranching.

I would say this has been true in all cases for me - I've never had a job where I wasn't around such people on a daily basis. In addition, management too is extracted from the same general culture (hypermasculine) especially in the petrochemical industry which has been my focus.

I had better emotional control than they did.  Never got personally involved with them either.  Maintained distance and a fake "superiority" based on education.

I made this mistake more than once...tried to "buddy up" with the labor force and I was consequently seen as a pushover or some kind of professional half-breed...not quite working class, but not totally management. Maintaining distance based on education never worked for me because 1) anti-intellectualism is entrenched in the culture at all levels and 2) they don't respect education anyway...to their minds, college is for rich boys or losers who can't do anything masculine.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:49 AM, uptight outasight said:

You must have decided on some counseling per your earlier discussions?

Yep. Turned out like I said it would. I intentionally chose a guy who focused on "men's issues" and was a military vet. His advice was a regurgitation of everything I've heard on this forum through the years... a man is more than his _______ (fill it in). So I asked him about living in a barracks, about esprit de corps, male bonding.

I said, "I don't play sports. I never played sports. I was PHYSICALLY (i.e. BIOLOGICALLY) unsuited for it. My experiences with women constitute an SNL skit. I've never completed coitus or brought a woman to orgasm or been lusted for by a woman. I have no children. In my experience, when males congregate and talk it revolves around 4 things: family, fighting, fucking, or football. If I have no frame of reference, how do you expect me to make friends or socialize? Since this is critical to forming occupational relationships, how do you expect me to succeed at a job?"

He had no answer and I got a version of "well I had buddies who fought overseas and died got blowed to pieces come home with missing arms, etc etc and they have a better attitude than you. It's attitude." I got mad, said some things I probably shouldn't have said, and ended it after one session. I paid 150.00 to hear I have a bad attitude. No thanks.

Again - I can sum this up by saying males bond (at least where I live) with family, fighting, fucking, and football. I am disadvantaged in all 4. Also, I seem to exude an aura that just puts people off instinctively. There is no amount of smiling, pleastantness, small talk that can offset it. Nothing I do changes it. Given a choice, people choose not to interact with me.

@uptight outasight - you put the problem very well when you describe lacking the "natural ebullience" of healthy males. I lack this too. I've been told all my life I'm "too serious" and "have no chill". Facially, I'm usually described as "innocent", "sad", "tired", "angry", "intellectual". None of which attracts women or inspires respect in males. I rarely smile but when I do it changes nothing.

Resolute made this thread in a spirit of fun, I feel bad for defiling it. I shouldn't post this shit here. I hope he doesn't mind. After my experience with the therapist I kept thinking of this thread and why I was made so differently from other people.

30 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

"well I had buddies who fought overseas and died got blowed to pieces come home with missing arms, etc etc and they have a better attitude than you. It's attitude."

Interests me how people are focused on blaming the victim in this area.  They always compare our problems to worse ones.  Suffering war injuries takes the cake!  I hadn't heard that one.  Usually, it's being a minority, being a woman, being disabled, sick, an orphan, dirt poor, whatever.

I'm convinced people, when they say these things about our situation, subconsciously know they are part of the problem, part of what I call the phallocracy that marginalizes the less masculine, the smaller of penis, etc.  People blame the victim when they are doing some of the victimizing.

Like attitude is just will power?  No, it is constitutional, hormonal, etc.  The public acceptability of small penis humor tells the tale.