Mental Support Community

Lost & Stressed Student

heijou

Where can I start... I am a 20 year old uni student and I've had depression & anxiety (though I'm positive there's more to my mental health issues than that) throughout high school but didn't talk to someone about it and get treatment until about 3 years ago. I'm doing better than I did but I still have a while to go.

I had a great year last year — I completed a diploma in something I enjoyed doing (web design-type of stuff) and almost rarely felt crap about myself, so I decided to continue down the web design path and enrolled into a bachelor which I've started this year, and it's all downhill from here. I'm only half-way through my first semester now and I'm already feeling overwhelmed & had panic attacks & thoughts about dropping out on several occasions; thankfully no dangerous/harmful thoughts yet. I'm not sure if this is healthy or normal to feel stressed to such a great extent, but I feel silly for feeling this way...
Not sure if this info is vital but might I add that I'm studying with a university from another state in my country through a partnership with the "college" I did my diploma at, and because the partnership between the two institutions is quite new, I've been finding it difficult to find on the uni website all the info/support I'd need to deal with this in my campus. Tried to get in touch with the Student Support here and didn't get a response... At this point I don't even know if they offer their services to students of the uni.

I have my first appointment with my new counsellor sometime next week, so I thought until then I'd turn to this forum for support and hear from a POV different from a counsellor and other immediate relations from me. I understand that you guys are no student support staff, but I'd like to know what you'd do if you were in this situation? Would it be a good idea to drop out this soon, or would it be better to try to talk to a teacher/staff about it?

Welcome to the community, heijou. I'm sorry you're feeling so much anxiety. :( Are you able to take time away from your studies to breathe or is the workload too intensive? What has helped you cope in the past? Have you considered continuing though with less courses if need be? I think talking to your teachers/staff is a good idea.

I hope you will be gentle with yourself. Wishing you serenity. Take care.

Hi IrmaJean, thanks for your reply. The work is a too intensive for me and I've talked with other classmates and they are pretty much in the same situation as I am; they wanna drop out because of the stress. I think what helped me cope in the past is that my diploma was more practical and laid-back so it was easy for me to deal with.

I'll try getting in touch with one of the senior teachers and talk to them. We'll see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been a little while, I've been caught up in my work in uni. Since starting seeing my new counsellor in March, she's been able to help me see things at different angles, though I still feel a bit unhappy and want to discontinue studies at times. I mean, there's a possibility of me regretting dropping out of my degree but perhaps I might be happier; who knows, really. But I think I'll just try to put through since I don't want to go into debt/have to pay the government back. I've also talked with my GP about going onto stronger anti-depressants soon because of my worsening mood & sleep. And at least this week will be the last of my first semester, so maybe this break will help me relax and think things through properly until I start my next semester.