Mental Support Community

Planning. I'm not good at it.

Victimorthecrime

I quit my job yesterday because of that backward macho environment. It was one stupid remark and sideways look too many. I'm in the process of writing a message to the manager above my manager. The person I'm supposed to tell if my work environment is toxic was the person making it toxic. I'm not gonna repeat the incident publicly because it was the most embarrassing thing anyone has ever said to me. I walked out the fucking door because of it, right before Christmas as well. Not only do these places exist where it's ok to push people to the brink of a breakdown, it's commonplace. It was immediate and prolonged. How is this acceptable in 2017?

I'm sorry man. I hope my complainings didn't affect your decision. I have bad days where I want to kill everyone and selfishly post about it on here. I completely understand being pushed to the brink. I could write pages of my thoughts on this topic but what's the point. I hope it all works out for the best. 

I don't know, Victim. It got to the point where my bills were superceded by my mental health. I had a day where my suicidal thoughts started to make sense and feel like it'd be an actual relief. It was quit or go somewhere I wasn't prepared to go. I'm still really tired as I'm not sleeping much atm. 

My sympathies buddy. That pretty well sums up my career. It isn't very uncommon for guys in my profession to have PTSD symptoms by their mid-thirties, I've known a couple. One works at a hardware store now as a forklift driver. In practice, there's no difference at all between unbridled corporatism and communism. A brutal struggle to the top by climbing over everyone else's corpse. Read stories of working at Amazon and the turnover rate. The workforce is filled with sociopaths who cry out in pain as they're stabbing you in the back with a pitchfork. At least uk has better social welfare than us, so I'm told. 

There are big changes going on where I work that have me upset. I will post about it on my Job Fears thread.  

Sorry to hear what you are going thru YOTH.  You have always been supportive and kind and hope you find a better job soon if that's what you want.  

Klingsor every word you say reflects my thoughts exactly.  I am actively brainstorming ways I could be less stressed but coming up empty.  Our system is vicious and it sucks.  

@YOTH@Klingsor@Victimorthecrime it sounds like all three of you work in a pretty rough environment and I am truly sorry for that. I can't imagine what that type of work environment can do to you mentally and physically. While my job may not be perfect, if I compare it to what it sounds like you guys are going through then I apparently have it pretty good.

My only recommendation to you guys is to be diligent about getting out of those toxic environments and know that there are jobs out there without that type of poisonous atmosphere. We spend a lot of our lives at work and to spend this much time in a place with the levels of hostility that you guys have described will surely wear on you. I'm not telling you to quit without a fallback but I do recommend actively looking for other opportunities.

I have been a manager for many years and I feel like/hope that I have helped many people with career decisions, interview skills, and resume reviews. If there's ever anything that I can do to assist you guys please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Thanks @lostboy1 I might take you up on that.  

Did I mention this before?  Currently I am assigned to one huge account and it is in Texas!  Some of the nicest people in the world in Texas.  

I don't hate my job but I dislike the company.  

Feeling a bit better at the moment, partly 'cause tomorrow is the last day before a nice break for the holiday.  I love time off.  I love being able to do whatever I want vs what someone else tells me to do.  

46 minutes ago, YOTH said:

@Small I really wish I could work from home but I have no idea what to do, what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm toying with the idea of being a self employed delivery driver, but my car would probably explode after a week or two. 

I work in gaming psychology & games design. The driving sounds good Yoth. Maybe a welcomed break from assholes giving you a hard time? I personally don't enjoy driving because I worry behind the wheel. But if you don't have those issues then great. Last week a pretty blonde delivery woman dropped off my amazon package and i envied that she got so much open road & time with her thoughts.

12 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

Did I mention this before?  Currently I am assigned to one huge account and it is in Texas!  Some of the nicest people in the world in Texas. 

Thanks! There's some good people here but it's like everywhere else, there are bad as well.

Texas has the "southern hospitality" thing going for it.

Hopefully you'll find a better company to work for in the future. They're out there but probably harder to find than I realize.

You seem like a good dude @lostboy1  I hope you make millions in business. Get those stock options.  

I am in the Northeast and, I don't want to say anything bad, it is what it is. There are some good people. 

It is 3:30 here and it is already getting dark.  

My plans have been derailed by catching a cold or flu or something. It has left me feeling very tired and lethargic and achy.  In a weird way it is a relief because I was starting to wonder what was wrong w me.  I had some projects I wanted to get to but it will have to wait a bit.  Story of my life - always some fuck up, often little, but enough side track me or block the goal.  

@Victimorthecrime you seem like a good person too! Hopefully you can get into a career you really enjoy or at least a company that respects it's employees and has a positive environment.

I travel to the NE quite frequently and, even though the people are different compared to Texas, there's still some really good people there. It's a faster paced lifestyle and it lack the "typical" southern hospitality of Texas but it has its good qualities as well.

That's the nice thing about Texas...doesn't get dark until 6:00pm here.

They say Jeff bezos hit the 12 digit mark for wealth. That's at least $100,000,000,000.00. There's planning for you. Obscene that a single individual could be that rich. There's no practical way any single person could ever spend that much money on themselves. I'm sure a lot goes into financing his favorite political causes celebre. Really the most valuable thing that kind of money can buy is information. One wonders what kind of access the man has globally. What's his plan for when the petrodollar collapses and Americans can't buy his shit to finance their addiction to toys? 

Bezos - going from an on-line bookstore to eating the world in 20 years.  Incredible.  

I am still fighting this goddamn cold/flu thing.  Have a wicked sinus headache. Totally blows but I am glad to just veg in front of the TV set watching storage wars, American pickers and football.  Drinking decaf and green tea, black tea too later.  Sucks because there is so much I had planned to get done. Oh well, it'll have to be another day.  

@lostboy1 - are you in sales? Why so much travel?  Trying to think why someone would travel for business. Perhaps to meet w customers or attend meetings at a regional office of your firm but video conferencing is phasing that out. It could be to attend strategy and project management sessions or give presentations.  

My company poo-poos travel except for high level executives. Even training is done on line.  It is ok w me I dislike business travel.  I used to travel for a previous  job. NYC was a blast back then.  

I used to hate fall and winter but now I like it except for times like this when I have caught a cold.  

I don't want to jinx it but it is so much quieter in the winter.  I like the early nightfall so I can run out discreetly if needed.  I feel like less of a loser being an agoraphobic hermit.  

Once I am over this cold hopefully my immunity will be built up and I will be good for the season because there are so many things I want to do.  Most of the things involve my house, my career, and improving my health and that includes mental & emotional health.  

That's interesting Victim, I'm kind of the reverse. This is my favorite time of the year. Small and I share this quality I think. It gets very hot in the summer where I live and can often be humid, and I absolutely loathe it. I kind of like Spring because it's planting season and things begin to get green and it's also the stormy season (I like thunderstorms). There's nothing I like about summer, and, in reverse of you, I often get sick in the spring/summertime. I love cold, windy, cloudy days. When I was growing up I'd take long walks in the country on days like that. You know, I am exactly the same about the time change - I can go out earlier because it's dark, plus cold weather makes people wear more clothes and not walk around half naked in flip flops like summer which makes me feel better when I don't have to see flesh every where I turn. Anyway, that's probably more than you needed or wanted to know about my preferences. 

I hope you feel better soon and are able to do the things you want to do. If I lived close to you I'd offer to help you with DIY projects. I'm dreading work so I'll probably self-medicate tonight and go to bed early. Perhaps I'll wake up on a spaceship next to Elvis Presley and Richard Nixon eating breakfast, fast on our way to a Zeta Reticulean beach with hordes of sex starved women.