Mental Support Community

Planning. I'm not good at it.

Victimorthecrime

I did end up catching up w my friend, he had to do laundry and I took him to laundromat and then we went to McDonalds.  We could have hung out longer but I was feeling tired.  At least I got out for a bit.  Glad to be home and resting. I am in for the night unless a serious 2nd wind 💨 comes out of nowhere.  

Yes everything is fine now Beth.  We had another 8" of snow ❄️ yesterday and managed to get myself upset.  I when I re-read what I wrote I realized it wasn't even accurate so rather than try to rehab it I just deleted it.  

Glad tomorrow is Friday and really really looking forward to the weekend.  

Sorry you got snowed in victim. I was thinking about the title of this thread and realized I'm not good at living in the moment. All my life it's been analysis paralysis. Endless if loops. Tonight I realized I missed some good moments, even for my shitty life, over-analyzing everything. I can never simply live in the moment. It's one thing being prudent, but taken to excess it becomes inaction. I worry about everything. Plan but more importantly make decisions. A friend of mine who had a degree in psychology used to tell me in his correspondence to "Act! Do!"...basically do something, anything to remain active even if it turns out to be wrong. He told me that all the time, it was like a mantra. 

I have a tendency to over plan. Spontaneity is definitely not a strong trait of mine and because I dedicate so much mental capacity to work, I rarely have time (really the energy more than time) for planning personal activities and if I don't plan them then they typically don't happen.

I have probably only been on one real vacation in the past 10 years. We don't go to local events, concerts, theater, or really any thing else that requires forethought.

@lostboy1 yeah being addicted to planning is practically a requirement for a management position.  What cracks me up is that those of us on the outside can see how it's all just a big circle: "ok we have so many departments and divisions its impossible to orchestrate so lets combine 'em". That is followed by "ok that big group is not nimble enough to address the many and diverse needs of our clients so let's break it up into small defined segments each w a unique mission".  Yeah that's the ticket! 🐐💨😷😁

A thought occurred to me yesterday while I was thinking about planning: you can have all the strategy in the world but if you ain't got the soldiers you ain't winning the battle.  

Too many people these days want to succeed but don't want to suffer the pains of the work involved. This sends them constantly running back to the drawing board. 

What feel I see in my company is that they don't want to pay enough smart hard working people to complete tasks and solve actual problems.  They would rather rearrange the deck chairs spew new age babble philosophy. 

1 hour ago, lostboy1 said:

It's a pendulum that swings back and forth, no doubt. One would hope that with every swing, the pendulum slows to a lesser extreme.

The the pendulum is a metaphor for volatility!  

It's a cliche but it's true. The only constant in life is change. We can learn to embrace it and help drive it or we can resist it and become sour to it. Young people are very change accepting but as we get older it becomes more and more difficult.

Some people believe change, just for the sake of change, is good. I however am of the school of thought that we should only change if we can justify it.

Someone once said "the best way to cope w change is to have a hand in making it".  

I was feeling really stressed and upset earlier but am settling down now, having tea ☕️.  

I was putting to much pressure on myself to accomplish things.  The last 6 weeks has been nothing but sickness (flu) and snow and I just need a break today although I did run errands and pay bills.  

There is some good news, I have been saving a bit of money, I have feeling pretty decent health-wise, things seem to be ok at work, my drinking is very much under control, I got new eye glasses & contacts,  and I started taking a supplement called N-acetyl-cistine or NAC for short that purports to help w brain fog (among other things) and it could be placebo effect but I think I feel an improvement in my calmness and clarity.  It's not expensive either.  

Happy Easter Sunday, Happy Passover, to all who participate.

Feeling much better today. Yesterday morning I was plagued by negative self talk "I'm a loser" that kind of stuff but today I have a better outlook.  Nothing profound, just more "in the moment" looking at what I can do and not dwelling on what I can't affect right now.  Also helping is that I am still hammering out a plan such as "if A happens I will do B" type of thing.  

Hello to my weekend Peeps!  

Another Saturday, quickly vanishing.  Cold here, 40 degrees but I am digging it.  

Sometimes the weekend is harder than the workweek because I have to think about what to do.  

Gonna try and get some things done but also relax.  

Not feeling too bad at the moment in terms of physically and emotionally so just gonna roll w that.  

Whats going on w everyone else?  

Here in China, we were just spending our Tomb-Sweeping Day, mourning the ancestors and those who died. Nothing to do with me because there is nobody I care about in the tombs. The weather turns cold, for we need to put on a light jacket. And you should know that we just wore a T-shirt last week. 

Still feeling lonely, which makes me watch TV series Arrow all day long. Got a friend call me, kinda relieved from serious loneliness. I don't have many friends in real life.Well, not even a few. And so does it in virtual life. I guess I don't know how to make friends at all, just waiting for someone talk with me.

I kinda think that away from school is not a good choice for me. In school, I could at least see people busy with their study or something anyway, but sitting around in the rental just gets me lazy. It really tests my self-discipline to keep doing my study.

Anyway, things are getting better hopefully.

My weekend is shaping up to be quite typical. I'm normally up at 0500 during the week so on weekends I'll sleep in if possible. Today it was 0900.

I have some stuff to do around the house today and I'll likely spend most of tomorrow on my computer working in preparation for next week.

It seems to be a cycle for me with little changes.

9am that is a late sleep.  Even on weekends I can never sleep past 8am.  Working on a presentation on a Sunday ugh 😑.  But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  

@1997Henry I only have 2 friends that I see w any regulatory and i binge watch TV too sometimes so I know what you mean.  But glad things are getting better.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:43 PM, LostBoy said:

I'll likely spend most of tomorrow on my computer working in preparation for next week

I went into work myself today, Sunday, for about 1 hour 15 minutes and got a good amount done ✅.  Happy 😊 about that.  

Now I just chillin out and going w the flow.  

I usually work on the weekends, but they are early shifts and that is my preferred shift. I am sleeping late if I sleep through until 4-4:30 am. :mellow: 

It's been cold and snowy at times here...still. Winter does not want to let go. Winter needs some zen. :P I am so ready for spring. Can't wait.

For me, although I do enjoy company, I find that as I get older, I am comfortable with alone time too.

I hope everyone has a good week.