Mental Support Community

Hi my girlfriend and I have been together 5 and a half years. Together we grew a great happy relationship. When I first met her she was strong person popular independent and happy. Since we've been together I've noticed she's over the years slowly slipping into a depression she has had a really really rough childhood if I was even to begin to tell you you wouldn't believe the things she's been through. Now as I noticed this depression sliding in over the years I've noticed these wild mood swings of anger and hate. I've noticed she's mostly sad/angry/anxious or upset not the fun energetic loving girlfriend I fell for. I don't know what to do she won't talk to anyone or see anyone. She really needs help and I don't know what to do she was there for my rough times I need to help her through hers. Tonight we had a argument well arguing my tone never raising to a stern point of speaking to a child to let them know your mean business on 3 mean while she's screaming like a crazy lady under the over pass on drugs screaming at traffic she flips the table with a cup off pop over and some electronics soaking them (belonging to a roomate) a 70 dollar controller when telling her she didn't fing care. The whole fight over her either spacing  out in time or zoning out watching tv and she didn't notice me get up and go to another room to watch tv even though I did she just didn't pay attention or care just sliding it in one ear out the other. The blacking out is a concern but it's only happened once before this known about. I love her but the times are getting tough. And I'm running out of strength.

Welcome. I'm sorry you're going through this, Lookingforh3lp. Do you think your girlfriend might consider couples' therapy? Maybe this could offer an open space for both of you to share your feelings and concerns? You can encourage or suggest for her to seek out help for herself, but ultimately the choice to do it has to be hers, I think. I hear you that it can be difficult to see someone you care about and love struggle. I also think it's important to listen to your own needs in this. Self care is one aspect of this that you can control. I hope the situation improves.

• 3 years later...

Don't give up! . Look how far you've come the past years, You are doing the best you can, Be gentle with her,  she needs you try any coping therapy to get her back to normal. Medication can be used to temporarily to control or reduce some of the symptoms of depression, it doesn’t treat or resolve the problem, The antidepressant could be ineffective and there may not have been enough time to see an effect, or the side effects could be too bothersome, leading to a failure of treatment. Medication is most effective when combined with other treatments, such as therapy and lifestyle changes, that address the underlying causes of panic disorder. Its a slow process keep going because strength grows in the moments when you think you can not going on but you keep going anyway. #staystrong