Mental Support Community

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Klingsor

• 4 months later...

I had hoped someone could relate to this topic. I have no energy to spare. Where do people find the energy to work out, deal with kids, spouses, etc. after working all day? I have barely enough to cook dinner then collapse. I don't know if it's stress from social anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder or what. But I've been low energy as far back as I can remember. Could be my crohn's too, but normally I keep that under control with diet.

I've had more energy since forcing myself to drink water before coffee etc. I buy bottles and try to down one or two a day. I always felt more energetic after a workout tbh, but that out the window for the time being. With kids it's a case of not having a choice, you have to push through, but I personally think it's related to state of mind, that anxiety you mentioned is unbelievably tiring. It's like it wears down the inner battery leaving only enough time to get home and collapse. When I was working I couldn't even look at the kids, I just wanted to sit and not get up. I hated that feeling. 

Klingsor, have you had a thorough physical exam to rule out a physical cause? You mentioned Crohn's. I can see how coping with that could tire a person out. :(

My physical energy is generally very good, but I do struggle with mental drain at times. Does it help to recharge, to do something that feels replenishing or nurturing? Take some quiet time to yourself?

I hope the spring feels replenishing to all of us. Take care.

I'd say try a few little meditations every day, but I'm doing less nowadays, mainly because if I close my eyes, I wake up 20 minutes later from a collapsanap with a crick neck. Last night the baby woke up about 12 (just as we got into bed) and cried continuously for about 3 hours. You go through the check list nappy, milk, teething etc. But once you're through the list and he's still wailing your brain turns to porridge and you're just existing in a hazy unconsciousness that can't be called being awake or asleep. Body limbo, the charger is plugged in but the switch is off. He's such a cute baby, but I can seriously see where people who aren't equipped to deal with the fallout calmly, smother the little buggers or chuck them out the window 😂. Only honest parents will admit how fucked it is when they're like that, but most people do the whole "You just have to remain calm, sleep when they sleep, parenting is about being strong and remaining in control". Yeh, fuck off Supernanny, you never had kids yourself you old bag, you just pissed off when the show was over. It's a pain in the arse when they're this age because they're pretty much in pain with their gums all the time, and short of Calpol and teething powders there's really nothing you can do to chill them out. But on a lighter note, he's pretty much walking at 10 months old (or there abouts). He's walking from chair to chair, pretty amazing really, my eldest didn't even try walking until he was one, this kid is raring to go. So, back to meditations, I've started a new one called the I'm not meditating meditation which basically consists of me looking like I'm slouching casually in the car whilst going through my meditation, or pulling my beanie hat right over my face like some super villain that cheaped out on the costume. I suppose it beats the lotus position on the top of the car or on a cliff edge like on Buddhist posters, I'd end up collapsanapping and going off the cliff. I just bought 2 crates of Corona for £20 from Tesco, now that's a bargain. I wanted Perroni, but I'm not paying £16 for 12 beers, daylight bloody robbery. 

@IrmaJean

I had my testosterone levels checked several years ago but that's it. They were normal. I've been low energy all my life so I think it's mostly related to anxiety. Like Yoth said, anxiety itself is exhausting. There was a study I read somewhere about how social anxiety could be modeled as a hyper sensory effect, in which the brain does not or cannot filter out the sensory noise most people take for granted each day. Trying to process all this is exhausting. Yes, it is absolutely essential that I have quiet time to myself. I'm living in a place right now that doesn't always offer that, so on top of work, I'm usually anxious on the drive home wondering if I'll have a quiet evening or noise, yelling, stereos, etc. Although I hate morning time, I do look forward to my coffee, and I usually get a couple hours then to read in peace be quiet because I get up early. 

@YOTH

You have my sympathies. I don't believe I could handle a kid. My grandmother told me that when I was a baby I had terrible stomach colic. I think they ended up putting me in the hospital so I could be force fed nutrients or milk or whatever because I couldn't stand the pain when they tried to nurse me. Of course I don't remember any of this but it's in perfect keeping with my general ill health and sickly physique. I've often wondered if my gut problems contributed to my penis development (or lack thereof). I've observed that some people are systemically unhealthy, and it begins in the womb. You sound like a good dad, I hope this stage passes soon for you. You and he will probably have lots of fun when he gets a bit older.

I don't drink as much as I let on here, I can't really, but I typically have a drink before bed. I wish I knew how to meditate. I dream a lot at night sometimes, and I can have very vivid dreams if I nap during the day. 

Anyone can meditate, it's a swizz. Sit quietly for 5 minutes and it's a meditate. They try to make like sitting for hours is important but it's boIIocks. I have a mate who is Zen monk, he meditated for hours and they wouldn't let him itch his nose. Counter productive imho

Believe or not I used to be really into meditation, on and off for many years.  I was obsessed w Zen.  At one point I got a thought in my head that is was counter productive and a waste of time and have never gone back, even though I don't really believe that.  Sometimes I will repeat a positive thought, that seems to bolster and focus me.  

On 3/9/2018 at 6:46 AM, Klingsor said:

@IrmaJean

There was a study I read somewhere about how social anxiety could be modeled as a hyper sensory effect, in which the brain does not or cannot filter out the sensory noise most people take for granted each day. Trying to process all this is exhausting. Yes, it is absolutely essential that I have quiet time to myself. I'm living in a place right now that doesn't always offer that, so on top of work, I'm usually anxious on the drive home wondering if I'll have a quiet evening or noise, yelling, stereos, etc. Although I hate morning time, I do look forward to my coffee, and I usually get a couple hours then to read in peace be quiet because I get up early. 

@YOTH

I can definitely relate to all of this! I also find the sensory stimulation all day to be draining, but for me it's more of a mental drain and less physical. 

I would probably get cranky without quiet time. That feels like a need. I don't think I would do well in a city environment either; I need nature. Do you have any opportunity to connect with nature, Klingsor? It has to be especially difficult if you can't find a space for quiet in your home environment. :(

I also find that daily walks help my mood. I hope you have a better week.

P.S. I forgot about mall drain. It happens to me and one of my daughters. We went to the mall today and I was reminded. :o This is physical and it makes a person feel weak and near faint. Sometimes it lasts all day. We have been home for hours now and I still feel the effects. I have always thought that it has to do with the fluorescent lights. Energy sap. Anyway, I thought I would share.

I hope you day is going okay, Klingsor. Take care.

I know what you're talking about and I get the same feeling. I used to get made fun of at one job because I preferred natural sunlight to fluorescent lighting. I'm convinced most people in industry, or at least the industries with which I'm acquainted, have no souls. But I feel drained anytime I have to deal with several people in a day. I avoid crowds like an airborne virus.