Mental Support Community

I feel like i cant laugh anymore

julianml

For the past year i feel like i dont laugh like i used to anymore. For example me and my friend always used to die of laughter where we would tear and up and cant breathe. I havent felt that feeling in a very long time ive been quite worried about it. When something funny does happen i laugh but its not like a real laugh; i,ll think the joke is funny but i would just give off a chuckle that doesnt feel real.

I'm not sure if this a sudden or gradual change for you but as people mature I think laughing decreases for the majority. I know this is true for me. I laughed a lot and was always smiling as a kid and teen. In my 20's I still smiled and laughed some but it wasn't as frequent. 30's on I seldom smile and when I laugh it's only a chuckle and something has to be extremely funny.

2 hours ago, lostboy1 said:

I'm not sure if this a sudden or gradual change for you but as people mature I think laughing decreases for the majority. I know this is true for me. I laughed a lot and was always smiling as a kid and teen. In my 20's I still smiled and laughed some but it wasn't as frequent. 30's on I seldom smile and when I laugh it's only a chuckle and something has to be extremely funny.

Same for me. I'm mentioning it just to show another example of the same change. And I also consider it "normal". At the same time, what Vic has written is true. The key to distinguish if it's "normal change" or "depression" seems to be in the "interest in formerly appealing things" - that's very different from just laughing or not.