Mental Support Community
ba51th

Serious personality. . ?

When I was in highschool, a friend ever tag me and some of his friends to a picture. A picture of various southpark character.

Each character have description, like "hot girl", "lazy", "diligent", and etc

I was tagged to a character with description "serious guy" and I'm alone in that spot...

Do you think this "serious guy" personality is a good thing? Or a bad thing?

I like "serious guys" if they also have a sense of humour [=no need to be very funny, just to be able to enjoy humour and also to, at least occasionally, say something witty]!

But I wonder why it would matter to you what we think. Would you explain, if you like? :redface:

Edited by LaLa

I remember that a female friend ever told me "ba51th, girls more prefer humorous guy to be their boyfriend like ***** than serious guy you know", and I'm just like "uh.. okay..".

I have difficulties to differentiate when someone joking around or being serious... so sometimes I keep myself in modest talk so I can avoid to get dragged into offensive jokes.

When my friend tagged me to that picture, I wonder what might be the reason that he think I am a serious guy.

I'm also curious if that's how people see me...

15 minutes ago, ba51th said:

girls more prefer humorous guy to be their boyfriend

Well, it depends. For instance, some "humorous guys" are terrible because their "humour" is offensive and/or stupid. Also, as with any characteristic, there are always people for whom is less important than to others and there are also characteristics which are, when all together, more important than a single one, no matter how likeable (like being funny, for instance). 

19 minutes ago, ba51th said:

sometimes I keep myself in modest talk so I can avoid to get dragged into offensive jokes.

Personally, I think this is better than the opposite. 

How do you see yourself?

Perhaps you're funny and witty, but you hold yourself back too much - either because of fear / uncertainty, because you're always / mostly with the kind of people and / or in the kind of in situations when your humour cannot be fully expressed for some reasons. So when you'll once find someone whom you can feel and be "fully yourself" with / around, then you may suddenly look to others like a witty guy.

What do you think?

ba51th, I've been told this all my life. It took me long time to learn how to joke around with people, and even today I'm still not good at it. I always hated those television sitcoms that were just one punchline after the other. Stupid. Then I learned that women were supposed to like humorous guys. And I had one more reason to believe I was undesirable to them.

@LaLa

I'm just curious what people think of me, that's all

@Klingsor

Why don't rebrand yourself as high class elegant gentlemen? I think it suit us people with serious personality.

Read literature of ettiquette of gentlemen, behave yourself, wear suits or formal wear.

do it as humble/normal as you can, don't pressure yourself.

Give the world the impression that we are:

Serious people!

Serious business!

Serious work!

We are not screwing around!

Cool!

Cooler!!

Coolest!!!

😎

😱😱😱

I have this inspiration from sakamoto anime and daily life of highschool boys anime

TRUST me on this one gentlemen, I have always been funny (a jackass, a jester) and it has never resulted in a single jot or tiddle of succcess w women.  

If anything from my experience they go more for the troubled, brooding James Dean type.  

To be fair I can think of a few guys who were able to use not so much humor but gentle teasing to engage and loosen up women.  

At the end of the day the best thing to do is be yourself and find what works for you.  That's true no matter what the subject.  

@LaLa - ba never responds in a linear fashion. He is a lateral thinker I believe.  

49 minutes ago, Victimorthecrime said:

they go more for the troubled, brooding James Dean type

This reminds me of this song :P ("I can have a dark side. I can develop my brooding potential if pain's what you want in a man") :

https://youtu.be/3xQmJ_vxHB4?t=9

the best thing to do is be yourself and find what works for you.  That's true no matter what the subject.

I can only agree!!! :) 

He is a lateral thinker

Interesting expression; thanks for introducing me to this way of looking at it!

Don't know if I'm a lateral thinker or what, when I leave a respond on an issue, people see my argument illogical or have nothing to do with the topic... it makes me scared to speak...

I'm sorry you feel scared to speak. What about interpreting misunderstanding just as a motivation to explain your point and how your thoughts relate to the post you reacted to? It's a challenge for everyone to formulate thoughts the ways that most of others will have a high chance to understand it well. You have a lot of thoughts and their logical connections in your head but put only a part of them into written words, so during the process, something important for some other people to understand may be lost. And all the linguistic and cultural differences complicate the issue. There's no reason o be scared there's something wrong with you; just explain if someone doesn't understand if it's important for you to be well understood in that case.

On 07/03/2018 at 10:54 PM, Victimorthecrime said:

ba never responds in a linear fashion. He is a lateral thinker I believe.

Is it normal for lateral thinker to have a low score on logical reasoning?