Mental Support Community

Abilify for Dementia? Your experience?

daughterinlawmsc

I lost the post here but wanted to ask if/how do folks help prevent their loved ones from being over medicated? Dad has dementa and periods of anger and agitation. Is never a danger to himself or others. Finally he received a much needed psych eval but the result was let's try abilify. As I look at this medication more I wonder. He's not psychotic, not bi-polar. I haven't found anything that supports this medication used this way. Any input appreciated! Thank you

Guest ASchwartz

High daugherinlawmsc,

We do not have the ability to comment about types of medicines, dosages or even diagnoses. However, why don't you ask for a conference with his doctor so that you can ask these questions that may help you understand the doctor's approach? I find that people are often reluctant to ask the doctor questions. Well, part of his job is to work with families of the ill and they have a right to ask and receive information.

By the way, I can say, in a very general way that dementia and psychosis are related in that they both take a person outside of reality.

Allan :)

By the way, I can say, in a very general way that dementia and psychosis are related in that they both take a person outside of reality.

How do you make that one out Allan? I worked in care with the elderly for Seven years and came across Dementia quite often like Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia, which is a loss of mental function that can prevent a person from performing daily tasks. Vascular dementia, caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain, is the second most common type of dementia. Lewy body dementia is similar to Alzheimer's disease, but the relationship between the two is not well understood.

I understand now what your saying!

Psychosis is a mental condition that causes people to lose touch with reality. It may also be referred to as a psychotic disorder, psychotic behavior or a psychotic break.

Some symptoms presented by patients with psychosis include hallucinations, delusions, personality changes, disorganized thinking and bizarre behaviors.

Patients with psychosis may have difficulty functioning in home, school and work settings and may need assistance with daily living activities, such as grooming and handling money.

Psychosis may be caused by a number of mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It can also result from medical illnesses (e.g.,Alzheimer’s disease), substance abuse and as a side effect of some prescription medications, such as stimulants.

Psychosis may be diagnosed by a physician during a physical examination that includes a medical history and list of medications. Physicians may conduct tests, such as blood or urine tests, to rule out other medical conditions and medications that may be producing symptoms. Patients usually receive a psychiatric evaluation from a mental health professional.

Psychosis may be treated with medications, such as antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. Patients may also receive treatments such as psychosocial rehabilitation, family education or family therapy.

Some cases of psychosis cannot be prevented, but may be controlled with treatment. Psychosis that results from substance abuse can be prevented by refraining from using recreational drugs and alcohol.