Jump to content
Mental Support Community
YOTH

It's ok here, but not here?

Recommended Posts

I recently went to Edinburgh for a Christmas holiday. In part because I love the city, but also because it was the last place I saw Tom alive and I didn't want his memory to prevent me from visiting. I wanted to remember him how he was then instead of the images that I'd conjured up about his death.

All in all, the trip was lovely, everyone had a good time. And although it was freezing and we were all tired afterwards the weather held out enough to enjoy the city (which is amazing at Christmas) without having to hide from the rain etc.

I decided to book the dungeons for me and my kid as it'd been the one place I'd never visited. I thought it was an actual dungeon experience, I mean it's an unbelievably old city with an amazing history, but these dungeons were made of plastic and full of amateur actors getting in your face and shouting right in your ear. I fucking hated it, but luckily avoided being singled out.

Eventually we get to the torture chamber and some over acting woman starts to show everyone the torture methods. She picked a guy from the audience at random and had him sit in the torture seat. She then proceeds to pull out the penis chopper, everyone is laughing and the guy is visibly uncomfortable. Then she pulls out a tiny version of the device and says "this is more your size". He shifts about embarrassed as she says "count the inches with me". She shouts 'ONE' and closes it shut shouting "HE'S DONE!" Everyone laughs hysterically, except him. He looked mortified.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't grateful that it wasn't me, because I was. 

There was no shaming of the women, it was just implied that one woman was a drunk, but in a very jovial 'obviously a joke' way. And now that guys face is etched in my brain as I could instantly tell that it effected him. Tom didn't go to the dungeons as far as I can remember, but if he had, it'd have taken months for him to recover from something like that. But seriously, imagine taking out a breast clamp and making a size comment, or talking about her vagina, there'd be fucking uproar. But it's just 'a laugh' if it's a man. 

My actual opinion of comedy is that everything can and must be joked about. No point enjoying the show or a movie until a joke feels personal then complaining, just let it pass. And I don't have an issue with penis size jokes, comedy is either for everyone and everything or it dies. But what I don't like is this bullshit where its ok here, but over here it's offensive and degrading. Don't we deserve the same safeguards when we're out and about? It's inappropriate to allow kids inside and then make penis size jokes anyway, it could be seriously damaging, especially if they're teenagers who already have the seeds of an issue. 

Stand up is one thing, but in a family show where only men are singled out for a joke about their dick size is fucked up, and it's only getting worse. Can't make a gay joke, can't make a joke about race, can't mention a woman's bits, but men on a whole and their dicks, that's fair game. Well fuck that. It's either all ok or none of it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, YOTH said:

Can't make a gay joke, can't make a joke about race, can't mention a woman's bits, but men on a whole and their dicks, that's fair game. Well fuck that. It's either all ok or none of it is. 

The cultural pendulum has swung completely the opposite way.  This hypersensitive PC world makes me ill. As far as heterosexual man bashing, you can thank the #metoo movement for that.  What was once an awareness movement about bad male behavior in the entertainment industry, has morphed into man bashing and has permeated into every corner of society.  Men are scared to work with attractive females, work social outings have been eliminated or significant reduced, and intraoffice dating policies have become extremely strict.  Stand up comedy has also significantly changed to fit the PC mold in the last 20-30 years for straight white male comedians.  Their subject matter has significantly shrunk, while minority, homosexual and women comedians have no boundaries. I know this makes me sound homophobic, sexist, racist, and all the other negative labels you can think of. But, I still can make an honest observation. Or, can I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YOTH said:

I've noticed a change that started around 2016 with the anti-Trump lunatics and it hadn't let up. Hearing comedians apologising for obvious jokes is sickening. Nobody is safe. Although Louis CK didn't do much to help that shit lol

It sure has ramped up since Trump got elected. Even across the pond, eh? Oh the progressive political/entertainment machine, one and the same.  I just don't drink the Kool-aid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toosmallforcomfort Yeh, you'd think Trump was elected as our Prime Minister as well the way people reacted. I'm A-political for a reason and that reason is that both sides of every election are eating from the same table. And every election, without fail, like lambs to the slaughter, the so called intelligent people abandon their standards of not listening to liars and pick a fucking side. Mind-boggling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, YOTH said:

I recently went to Edinburgh for a Christmas holiday. In part because I love the city, but also because it was the last place I saw Tom alive and I didn't want his memory to prevent me from visiting. I wanted to remember him how he was then instead of the images that I'd conjured up about his death.

All in all, the trip was lovely, everyone had a good time. And although it was freezing and we were all tired afterwards the weather held out enough to enjoy the city (which is amazing at Christmas) without having to hide from the rain etc.

I decided to book the dungeons for me and my kid as it'd been the one place I'd never visited. I thought it was an actual dungeon experience, I mean it's an unbelievably old city with an amazing history, but these dungeons were made of plastic and full of amateur actors getting in your face and shouting right in your ear. I fucking hated it, but luckily avoided being singled out.

Eventually we get to the torture chamber and some over acting woman starts to show everyone the torture methods. She picked a guy from the audience at random and had him sit in the torture seat. She then proceeds to pull out the penis chopper, everyone is laughing and the guy is visibly uncomfortable. Then she pulls out a tiny version of the device and says "this is more your size". He shifts about embarrassed as she says "count the inches with me". She shouts 'ONE' and closes it shut shouting "HE'S DONE!" Everyone laughs hysterically, except him. He looked mortified.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't grateful that it wasn't me, because I was. 

There was no shaming of the women, it was just implied that one woman was a drunk, but in a very jovial 'obviously a joke' way. And now that guys face is etched in my brain as I could instantly tell that it effected him. Tom didn't go to the dungeons as far as I can remember, but if he had, it'd have taken months for him to recover from something like that. But seriously, imagine taking out a breast clamp and making a size comment, or talking about her vagina, there'd be fucking uproar. But it's just 'a laugh' if it's a man. 

My actual opinion of comedy is that everything can and must be joked about. No point enjoying the show or a movie until a joke feels personal then complaining, just let it pass. And I don't have an issue with penis size jokes, comedy is either for everyone and everything or it dies. But what I don't like is this bullshit where its ok here, but over here it's offensive and degrading. Don't we deserve the same safeguards when we're out and about? It's inappropriate to allow kids inside and then make penis size jokes anyway, it could be seriously damaging, especially if they're teenagers who already have the seeds of an issue. 

Stand up is one thing, but in a family show where only men are singled out for a joke about their dick size is fucked up, and it's only getting worse. Can't make a gay joke, can't make a joke about race, can't mention a woman's bits, but men on a whole and their dicks, that's fair game. Well fuck that. It's either all ok or none of it is. 

This comedy routine was pretty extreme, but not that unusual either.  Penis shaming is OK, period.  It can only mean that it reveals we live in a patriarchal phallocracy in which size is used to create hierarchies..  You can expect your closest "friends" and associates to gleefully clarify your penis size status whenever the occasion arises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, uptight outasight said:

Penis shaming is OK, period

Public penis shaming like this was not as ubiquitous or as accepted by the masses like it once was just a decade or two ago.  Correct me if am I wrong.  I'm 46 and not the oldest here who might better remember the Jonny Carson/Carol Burnett days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uptight outasight said:

This comedy routine was pretty extreme, but not that unusual either.  Penis shaming is OK, period.  It can only mean that it reveals we live in a patriarchal phallocracy in which size is used to create hierarchies..  You can expect your closest "friends" and associates to gleefully clarify your penis size status whenever the occasion arises.

Let's be honest, nobody is creating any hierarchy in the patriarchal phallocracy, it's just a simple case of dick size being the easiest and oldest perception trick to abuse, which it's why flaccid size is usually the target rather than erect. I'm bigger to look at, so I'm better. I know plenty of big guys who are total fuck ups regardless of size, in and out of the bedroom. But I completely agree about 'friends' using it against you, I'd be flat out lying if I said that wasn't true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YOTH said:

Let's be honest, nobody is creating any hierarchy in the patriarchal phallocracy, it's just a simple case of dick size being the easiest and oldest perception trick to abuse, which it's why flaccid size is usually the target rather than erect. I'm bigger to look at, so I'm better. I know plenty of big guys who are total fuck ups regardless of size, in and out of the bedroom. But I completely agree about 'friends' using it against you, I'd be flat out lying if I said that wasn't true. 

Penis shaming ts too ubiquitous to be there just because it is "easy."  It serves a foul function in society.  Nothing can stop it save eliminating the human race, or at least the men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toosmallforcomfort said:

Public penis shaming like this was not as ubiquitous or as accepted by the masses like it once was just a decade or two ago.  Correct me if am I wrong.  I'm 46 and not the oldest here who might better remember the Jonny Carson/Carol Burnett days.

My impression is that you are wrong though I guess I have no data except impression.  My guess is that it is worse because of porn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, uptight outasight said:

Penis shaming is too ubiquitous to be there just because it is "easy."  It serves a foul function in society.  Nothing can stop it save eliminating the human race, or at least the men.

I think you're giving it too much credit, it's effectiveness lies in its simplicity. Truth is perception in our world, actual truth is irrelevant. At this point a penis size joke is about as easy as you can get, it's unbelievably broad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...