Mental Support Community

Getting on T as a nonverbal teen???

Vevey

My mother said I would have to answer questions to get on T (hormone treatment). I was asked what my email was and I couldn't even answer. I just shut down. I dont know if I can speak. How do I answer questions if I cant talk? What do I tell them? My mom doesn't believe me. She thinks I just dont want to talk. Would it would if I used a text to talk app over the phone?

Hi, Vevey, welcome! :) 

I think communicating in a written form shouldn't be a problem. (A good old pen and paper would be fine, but if you prefer technology....)

It's sad that yor mom doesn't believe you. She probably doesn't know about selective mutism https://selectivemutismcenter.org/whatisselectivemutism/ or just doesn't admit that it could happen in her family. 

I wonder if finding a way to communicate with the doctor other than talking is the only thing that worries you and that you'd like to 'talk' about here. If you feel like searching for possible reasons of your inability to talk, or about any other issues, we're here to 'listen' and support you. :)

Good luck!

On 9/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, LaLa said:

Hi, Vevey, welcome! :) 

I think communicating in a written form shouldn't be a problem. (A good old pen and paper would be fine, but if you prefer technology....)

It's sad that yor mom doesn't believe you. She probably doesn't know about selective mutism https://selectivemutismcenter.org/whatisselectivemutism/ or just doesn't admit that it could happen in her family. 

I wonder if finding a way to communicate with the doctor other than talking is the only thing that worries you and that you'd like to 'talk' about here. If you feel like searching for possible reasons of your inability to talk, or about any other issues, we're here to 'listen' and support you. :)

Good luck!

Wow!  This is really interesting.  I was plagued by "stuttering" when I was young, starting in kindergarten, but it could just as well have been viewed as selective mutism.  When overwhelmed with anxiety, I could literally not speak--and the anxiety was near constant with peers in competitive situations.  I learned to be silent most of the time.  I almost never spoke to peers.  At first, I could recite in class with no problems thinking I was talking to the teacher, but as I became more aware of my peers listening and judging, I lost that ability.  

When I tried very hard to speak when my voice was frozen, what resulted was thought of as stuttering.  With friends and family I was fluent.  Everyone said I was exceptionally fluent.  I was surprised that there seemed to be no mention of associated stuttering in the "selective mutism" article.  Because I was silent so much of the time, my fluency never developed well as an adult in spite of my initial fluency.

Over the decades, I learned to control my "stuttering" (really voice freeze) by learning to better control my anxiety.  However, it was still a major problem until I started to supplement testosterone when I was about 50.  Seems like testosterone caused some circuits in my brain to develop that enabled me to control anxiety in a more normal fashion.  My stutter disappeared almost completely like magic.

VEVEY!  If my experience is any guide, it is very important for you to somehow try testosterone supplementation.  The professionals involved should be able to accommodate you if they understand your situation.  If not, find some that can!

Yes, I'm reviewing my whole life now in this light.  I've been ignorant of mutism.

Interesting that "professionals" were always somewhat mystified by the nature of my speech impediment.

I secretly interpreted the anxiety paralysis as cowardice as people would tell me everyone feels that same anxiety under stress which would make me feel guilty I couldn't control it or function under what everyone else took in stride!