Mental Support Community

Am I a psychopath?

confusedboy16

Well, you are special, Nathan, whether you think so or not.

Not because of that number, though. :-)

Well, when you see one of the pets and get that urge, can you short-circuit it, maybe by saying out loud, "I won't do that"? Or talking to your mom about the urge, when it happens, if she's available?

Morning Malign, how are you?

Thank you very much, I don't see how I am, though.

I'm trying to do that, I'll see how it goes. Sometimes it's not that easy though, is it? Do you think the doctor could help?

Nathan.

You certainly are a very polite young man, Nathan. This is very admirable. You make a point of responding to everyone here and answering all of the questions honestly.

Do you think exercising might help when this urge comes over you? A punching bag?

Morning Imra, how are you too?

Thank you, I try to be as polite as I can, good manners don't cost anything.

I think it might; I'm going to go swimming some time next week with a friend. One thing though, I don't see how swimming would release my anger.

Nathan.

PS: I thought I'd tell you guys', the only reason I write in read is so it's easy for me to see what I said and what you guys' say.

HI Nathan,

This is where I'll quickly switch gears on you-- it isn't that I dealt with my anger issues (although I have addressed them and now I'm a left leaning marshmallow) but that I developed better and healthier ways of coping.

The most basic insight and one that likely affects 75-90% of those who I see and probably many of us who write into the forum is just this (and all of its’ cold reality):

Most unwanted behavior occurs because we, in part, want it to occur and put ourselves in situations where it is hard to avoid or don’t make the complete effort to remove ourselves from the settings that trigger it:eek:. The would-be dieter has more than 1200 calories of food on hand;); the smoker trying to quit has a whole pack on him/her instead of just 5 cigarettes; the recovering alcoholic has hidden the booze in the closet in his own bedroom or in the basement in an old crate; the gambling addict whose tried to quit 15 times keeps a role of quarters or dollar bills socked away somewhere in his car;… the list is endless.

Most people struggle with this idea and so they create arguments and all sorts of private logic, mental gymnastics and cognitive/emotional distortions to not have to face it-- but it is a hard truth I've had to face and one that most of those who are or have been in therapy have also had to confront, but usually in less harsh terms.

David

Morning David, how are you?

You said you developed better ways of dealing with them, what were these ways?

So what you're saying, is I should get rid of the cats'?

Do you think I can change? Because I don't.

I think I'll be like this forever, and become a "serial killer."

I'm very pessimistic, you see.

Nathan.

Hi Nathan,

Sorry that, with my day and timezones, I didn't get back to you until late.

It's okay to write in red. You can see David O uses color for the same reasons you do.

I know it's not easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is.

But I also know how you feel after hurting the animals, so I just suggested something for you to try.

You don't have to believe you're special, yet. I know it's hard; I didn't believe I was, either, for the longest time. It's still true. How about I guard the belief until you're ready to use it? :-)

You know, I've never heard of a serial killer who regretted it afterwards.

Hello, Nathan, I am doing fine today. Thank you for asking. I hope that you had a serene day.

It seems, for me anyhow, that diverting and redirecting my energy can relieve some pent up emotion. So I was considering that the physical exertion of exercise might be helpful in the short term. Spending time with a friend and doing something you enjoy is definitely positive. Friends are great to have. Take care, Nathan.

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't replied to any of your comments, I haven't been able to get on. I went to see my doctor yesterday, he was really supportive about my situation. He's sent an email to our local hospital, and I'm going to be assesed there. I should hear back from them within the next month, so that's good

I'd like to take the time to thank you all for your help, you've been very supportive towards me - someone you've never even met.

I'm still very down, but thinking optimistically, which is good, right?

CB,

It is better than good. It is awsome! Glad the doctor offered the support you so deeply deserve. Sometimes just taking the steps toward a solution or toward creating change is powerful on its own. It shows you are open, hopeful and believe things get better. Those are perfect ingredients for a bright future. Just think, not too long from now you will change your member name from confusedboy to "got it all figured out - bring it on - cuz ain't nothing that i can't handle boy". Admittedly a little long, but it sure would put a smile on my face.

Good job. You da man!

JP

Julian,

Thank you for the reply, sorry it has taken a while to reply, I completely forgot about this website, : S. I think so too, I'm really looking forward to puting this all behind me, and moving on. HAHA, that would be good -- ironic -- but good. Can I also say, thank-you for all your help, you've been great. You've really helped me.

Thank-you everyone, take care,

Nathan - ConfusedBoy16.

Archived