Mental Support Community

factors in mental illness?

hell2breakfast

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hell2b: Thank you for a remarkably good song and video. It ROCKS!...will have to watch it some more to get the full meaning, but I LOVE the hole in the floor.

I'm sure everyone draws their own meaning from it. For me, it represents "the encounter with the unconscious". I still have a great deal to learn in that regard.

Check out "jerusalem" by Dan Burn on youtube music videos.

I did. :rolleyes: I wonder if Mr. Bern would enjoy the work of the Jungians too.

He has a website with the lyrics: Jerusalem

Sorry I don't know how to post the link as you did

You can always just copy and paste the song url in place. At some sites, the urls are automatically converted. Let's see if this site is one of them:

[i guess it's not.]

Thanks, Henry

We all have our demons to fight, I guess. I've been in therapy for about 7 months now, and hoping it helps me to live and not just survive the depression. :rolleyes: How are you doing?

I have learned to accept, to cope, and hopefully keep improving...I wish I could have felt this good forty years ago:( back then I was a basket case)

Did you learn to do this in therapy, H2b? Sometimes I don't know where my therapy is going. :confused:

I think what has kept me from going postal or commiting suicide was/is a combination of therapy/counselling, studying psychology in the classroom and on the street, working with puppies/dogs, and the mellowing that comes with age.

However, I am far from content, and I harbor a deep resentment toward a society that nurtures the nurtured and neglects the neglected.

Example;

I remember well the time Judge Sarah T. Hughes (one of the first female federal judges in the country) looked me in the eye and abdicated her responsibility to protect the weak when she asked me (a ten year old) whether I wanted to stay with my dysfunctional/abusive parents...read sociopathic mom...or be spirited away to an unknown future. What did she expect me to say "yes Judge, get me the hell out of this loonie bin"? This in the face of my mom's crocidile tears? (I remember hoping they would take me away) Thus, the judge neglected me and nutured my manipulative mom...God rest her soul..(my mom, not the judge) :(

So I learned early that you can't always count on the government, or your therapist or even your family to help you with the hard questions of life. And to separate the facts from the BS I instituted a personal policy of skepticism some..OK most.. would call paranoia: Don't believe anyone or anything that you can't see demonstrated on the street every day with your own two eyes.

However, I am not the only one that's paranoid, Brad Blanton PhD asserts in his book "Radical Honesty" that 95 % of everything that comes out of a persons mouth is ither a out and out lie or a bunch of BS....And by far the most damaging BS is that which we FEED OURSELVES (ego-defense mechanisms)

When I was seventeen I went to counselling once a week And I really looked forward to it (my therapist was hot) (and I think she liked me) (and she was single)...But she couldn't help me. The reason she couldn't help me was I coudn't tell her the truth about what was bothering me....I dared not admit the truth even to myself (consciously) so how could I reveal it to her?

And questions Like "what usually turns out to be the problem that makes men deathly afraid of attractive women"? would get a response like "what do you think?

Anyway, I'm rambling now, I know I am because I've already forgot what the question was...or if it WAS a question:eek:

H2b: I don't know how to quote only part of something, so I didn't quote anything. I think it's great that you are doing better! I also, was asked who I wanted to go with, only when I was 6 or 7, and it was by my mom in the presence of my dad and sister. What was I supposed to say? I felt so torn and that no matter who I chose, I was gonna hurt someone. Now, as an adult, I realize that my mom was probably hoping that I would choose my dad so she could go off and live her life with my stepdad, but it was probably one of the most traumatic times of my life.

It really sucks that there are so many unqualified ppl out there who make decisions for us (that stupid judge). One of my biggest pet peeves about the mental health system is that a large percentage of ppl in our prisons need treatment instead. If we changed half of the prisons in America into hospitals (good ones), things just might change here.

H2b: I don't know how to quote only part of something, so I didn't quote anything. I think it's great that you are doing better! I also, was asked who I wanted to go with, only when I was 6 or 7, and it was by my mom in the presence of my dad and sister. What was I supposed to say? I felt so torn and that no matter who I chose, I was gonna hurt someone. Now, as an adult, I realize that my mom was probably hoping that I would choose my dad so she could go off and live her life with my stepdad, but it was probably one of the most traumatic times of my life.

It really sucks that there are so many unqualified ppl out there who make decisions for us (that stupid judge). One of my biggest pet peeves about the mental health system is that a large percentage of ppl in our prisons need treatment instead. If we changed half of the prisons in America into hospitals (good ones), things just might change here.

It really burns my buns to see divorcing parents put their child in the middle!:mad:

I guess we are supposed to be flattered we were given a choice. But what a choice, might as well ask a kid if they had rather be shot or hung. I won't ask what choice they manipulated you into making, just know that it was not YOUR choice so you shouldn't feel any guilt.

Im sorry they hurt you that way and am sending you a big(((((HUG)))) together, maybe we can educate the parents of tomorrow

I couldn't agree more on the mentally ill in prison

I cringe when I think about the things my parents put me through and/or exposedm me to. As a mother of two kids I can't even imagine doing some of those things. We were able to walk the streets of Chicago from the age of about 7 or 8 years old until late at night because there was no one to watch us while our mother was working at the bar and partying afterward. She used to bring home men and I would awake to the sounds of her having sex with them, and I would try to muffle them, but it was hard. Whenl I was 12 she sent me to live with my dad because she had adopted a baby and I didn't get along with my abusive stepfather and she told me that this would give her a better marriage with him. Maybe I'm a bit overprotective with my kids, but they will never go through things like this. Maybe I should be happy I was shown how NOT to parent so well. :eek:

I cringe when I think about the things my parents put me through and/or exposedm me to. As a mother of two kids I can't even imagine doing some of those things. We were able to walk the streets of Chicago from the age of about 7 or 8 years old until late at night because there was no one to watch us while our mother was working at the bar and partying afterward. She used to bring home men and I would awake to the sounds of her having sex with them, and I would try to muffle them, but it was hard. Whenl I was 12 she sent me to live with my dad because she had adopted a baby and I didn't get along with my abusive stepfather and she told me that this would give her a better marriage with him. Maybe I'm a bit overprotective with my kids, but they will never go through things like this. Maybe I should be happy I was shown how NOT to parent so well. :eek:

I have been studying the deterioration of marriage for forty years, and have concluded that unlimited sexual freedom for teens leads to bad mating choices which leads to divorce, child abuse etc, after a few generations.

The answer is more parental involvment in the mating process and segregation of teens by gender. None of which will be possible without a re-evaluation of meaning of freedom. (should a child be free to destroy their life?)

Toboer did you cringe at what you were exposed to as a kid, as u experienced them, or did u start cringing after you were grown up and looking back?

Well, Nathan I remember not being happy as a kid, due to living with my terroristic stepfather and divorce and all the things that go with it. But, I must say I didn't really cringe over all that happened until I was an adult and began dealing with it all. I think as a kid I didnt have the insight to understand how it all was going to affect my life. I ended up on drugs and alcohol by the age of 13 and that ended with a hundred dollar a day heroin habit when I went to jail at age 30 and kicked it there, and thankfully got off drugs before I had my kids. They have had a very "normal" life. They have gone to the same school all of their lives, we have lived in the same small town all of their lives, and been in the same church all of their lives. The only thing is they don't have a father involved, but never have, so I'm really hoping it won't affect them too negatively. The other thing I worry about with them is the fact that I have depression. Otherwise, their life has been good. They are now 14 and 16, and doing well.

What's your story, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Archived